Bands you used to love back in the day but can't listen to now

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Ozzy.  I was never big into his stuff but since finding out what a complete idiot he and his wife both are I just can't bring myself to listen anymore.  The man has built his career riding on the coattails of genius but he takes all he credit while his wife does everything in her power to make sure those who are responsible for his success get as little recognition or reward as possible.

Also his albums are made like Taylor Swift records now - he just hands himself over to a producer and lets them make 90% of the decisions about the songwriting, the musicians, the overall musical direction.  I can't think of anyone else in rock/metal who takes that approach.
    Wether it's rock/metal but Santana also does this. I'd be surprised if Taylor Swift doesn't have more involvement than Ozzy or Carlos. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27623
    Ironic that Swift is the example given since she’s known to be heavily involved in all her records right through the process - especially the writing
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6581
    Ironic that Swift is the example given since she’s known to be heavily involved in all her records right through the process - especially the writing
    Red is better than 99% of Ozzy’s output, too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Ozzy.  I was never big into his stuff but since finding out what a complete idiot he and his wife both are I just can't bring myself to listen anymore.  The man has built his career riding on the coattails of genius but he takes all he credit while his wife does everything in her power to make sure those who are responsible for his success get as little recognition or reward as possible.

Also his albums are made like Taylor Swift records now - he just hands himself over to a producer and lets them make 90% of the decisions about the songwriting, the musicians, the overall musical direction.  I can't think of anyone else in rock/metal who takes that approach.
    Wether it's rock/metal but Santana also does this. I'd be surprised if Taylor Swift doesn't have more involvement than Ozzy or Carlos. 
    Red is better than 99% of Ozzy’s output, too.
    Yeah, yeah, OK, bad example, I couldn't be bothered to go and look at the credits on Camila Cabello albums or something.  But you know what I mean, the production team(s) are involved to an extent that's highly unusual for rock music.

As for Santana, he falls into that category I mentioned earlier, of artists who were fantastic in their early careers but their albums haven't been worth bothering with for at least the last 25 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    surely the "point" of Ozzy  was outrageous pantomime as (and possibly required)  a front man,  not any musical talent ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3326
    bertie said:
    surely the "point" of Ozzy  was outrageous pantomime as (and possibly required)  a front man,  not any musical talent ? 
    He came up with the sabbath melodies.  Thats enough musical talent for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Muse. Can't listen to them for any amount of minutes anymore - especially that new one that keeps popping up on the radio
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5773
    bertie said:
    Hmm, I can’t tell if that’s sarcasm or not. Any use of the word talent in association with Ozzy is a paradox, surely. 

As for pantomime, Alice Cooper does it better and seems a.) quite intelligent, and b.) quite a nice guy. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited June 2022
    bertie said:
    you must be easily pleased then   

TBH apart from listening to Paranoid (album) as a teenager (which every teenager has to),   never really "got" Sabbath  beyond that.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    Muse. Can't listen to them for any amount of minutes anymore - especially that new one that keeps popping up on the radio
    I'd almost forgotten they were still going...

I wasn't very keen on the first album, but Origin Of Symmetry was great and Absolution achieved perfection - then they went all simplified and bombastic, the lyrics got shit, and I completely lost interest. I bought Black Holes & Revelations on the first day of release with huge expectations - the first single was Starlight, which I still quite like, but the rest of the album was utter drivel and I gave it to a friend a couple of weeks later. She thought the same and it got charity shopped!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ewalewal Frets: 2633
    U2 and Stone Roses.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7010
    ICBM said:
    Muse. Can't listen to them for any amount of minutes anymore - especially that new one that keeps popping up on the radio
    I'd almost forgotten they were still going...

I wasn't very keen on the first album, but Origin Of Symmetry was great and Absolution achieved perfection - then they went all simplified and bombastic, the lyrics got shit, and I completely lost interest. I bought Black Holes & Revelations on the first day of release with huge expectations - the first single was Starlight, which I still quite like, but the rest of the album was utter drivel and I gave it to a friend a couple of weeks later. She thought the same and it got charity shopped!
    Agreed, the first few albums were superb, the last few all sound the same.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2431
    There were quite a few Britpop era bands and records that I liked at the time, but feel no urge ever to hear again -- Blur, Pulp, Elastica, Dodgy etc. With the benefit of hindsight most of them were derivative and overhyped and have dated quite badly. The only ones I still really like are The Auteurs and the first Longpigs album.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    bertie said:

TBH apart from listening to Paranoid (album) as a teenager (which every teenager has to),   never really "got" Sabbath  beyond that.
    The first five albums are brilliant - the first one in particular is one of the most important and influential albums ever made by anyone. But the genius who made it so was Iommi - and Geezer Butler wrote most of the lyrics, not Ozzy...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:

The first five albums are brilliant - the first one in particular is one of the most important and influential albums ever made by anyone. But the genius who made it so was Iommi - and Geezer Butler wrote most of the lyrics, not Ozzy...
    And as was said above Ozzy created the vocal melodies, Geezer created lyrics for them. And it's very distinctive, very apt singing where a more standard bluesy rock voice wouldn't have had the same impact. And even as a solo artiste Ozzy was often, maybe not always, good at chosing bandmates which at the very least shows some musical discernment. Obviously he pissed what talent he had up against a wall and settled into a career of being a caricature of himself but he certainly had musical talent at one point. 
    The lead singer in probably the most important rock band of all time FFS. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LightB4soundLightB4sound Frets: 161
    Dream Theater, was a massive massive fan. Can't listen at all now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:

And as was said above Ozzy created the vocal melodies, Geezer created lyrics for them. And it's very distinctive, very apt singing where a more standard bluesy rock voice wouldn't have had the same impact. And even as a solo artiste Ozzy was often, maybe not always, good at chosing bandmates which at the very least shows some musical discernment. Obviously he pissed what talent he had up against a wall and settled into a career of being a caricature of himself but he certainly had musical talent at one point. 
    Nice work gents.  And people say we only ever moan and post negative things on this forum...  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2842
    Stuckfast said:
    There were quite a few Britpop era bands and records that I liked at the time, but feel no urge ever to hear again -- Blur, Pulp, Elastica, Dodgy etc. With the benefit of hindsight most of them were derivative and overhyped and have dated quite badly. The only ones I still really like are The Auteurs and the first Longpigs album.
    I would extract Pulp from that and say that their repertoire is still good to todays ears and even relevance
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6581
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:

I agree. 
    Ozzy is way past becoming a parody of himself, but if you watch live footage from them back in the day - say the Never Say Die DVD - he was actually a damn fine singer before he ruined his voice with substance abuse. 
    There was a distinctive quality about his voice - somewhere between powerful, melodic and vulnerable - that made those records what they are. 
    Best singer ever? No. 
    Talentless hack riding on his bandmates' coat-tails? Definitely not.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9745
    Oasis. Got caught up in the hype, found the second album disappointing and never really listened to them since.

I have the Stereophonics first single, which I still think is great, but it was all downhill after that.