Bands you used to love back in the day but can't listen to now

What's Hot

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    Philly_Q said:
    As mentioned in the comedically crap guitar playing thread, Vinnie Vincent Invasion.  I still like a lot of hair metal from those days, but some bands I like less than I did (e.g. Ratt), others I like more (e.g. Warrant).  The more schmaltzy, AOR stuff I now find hard to listen to.

I used to buy some blues and blues-rock stuff but wouldn't now, I find it very tedious.

I can't think of much else, but I probably have hundreds of albums I haven't listened to for 20 years that I wouldn't like if I played them now.  There might also be a few gems which would suddenly click for me now... but I doubt it.
    Oooh I love my hair metal & AOR stuff even more if at all possible .
    what’s weird is I find it difficult to listen to Maiden now ,but used to absolutely love them.
    At the risk of being made a pariah I find it difficult to listen to hendrix for fun 
    and like you said bluesy rock , yet still adore the stones and Aerosmith . I suppose it’s like Carly Simon said. Nobody does it better 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    A lot of late 60s blues and blues rock especially the more aggressive or frenetic stuff.  I was hugely into the likes of Johnny Winter and Rory Gallagher for example but I find them unlistenable now. 

Springsteen.  Absolutely my favourite artist for a period of around 18 months in my early 20s.  There are only maybe 3 or 4 tracks I could listen to with pleasure now.  I still like the guy as a person, and still rate him as a lyricist, but I find his voice monotonous and his music lacking in melodic, harmonic or rhythmic interest. 

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822
    At the risk of being made a pariah I find it difficult to listen to hendrix for fun 
    and like you said bluesy rock , yet still adore the stones and Aerosmith . I suppose it’s like Carly Simon said. Nobody does it better 

I've been listening to Hendrix today, due to this thread.  I went through Smash Hits, Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland.  Still sounds great, especially the latter. :)

When I said blues-rock, I was thinking more on the bluesy side than the rocky side - Govt Mule, KWS, Michael Katon, Ian Moore, Jeff Healey... I never buy anything like that any more.

Aerosmith might be blues-based, I suppose, but I still think of them as rock.  I still like early Aerosmith, can't stand their recent stuff, not that they've done anything new for years.  I've never liked the Stones (sorry!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    sev112 said:
    Stuckfast said:
    There were quite a few Britpop era bands and records that I liked at the time, but feel no urge ever to hear again -- Blur, Pulp, Elastica, Dodgy etc. With the benefit of hindsight most of them were derivative and overhyped and have dated quite badly. The only ones I still really like are The Auteurs and the first Longpigs album.
    I would extract Pulp from that and say that their repertoire is still good to todays ears and even relevance
    Pulp weren't so much the jewel in Britpop's crown, they were more the one band that justified the whole sorry enterprise. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited June 2022
    Whilst there are a lot of bands that I no longer listen to, I can't think of many that I now don't like at all.  It's more of a case that the music simply got old and to familiar and the newer output didn't evoke the same emotions.. Almost all music is in this category after a couple of years.

I was really into Ska Punk bands for a long time, bands like mad caddies, reel big fish, mighty mighty boss tones etc, but those tracks still make me smile and remind me of some very fun gigs.. and I still enjoy listening to the odd track, but I never actively listen to an album.

The Rolling Stones are possibly the best example I can think of where I really don't like them any more, purely as I don't like Jagger's voice at all, I just find it tiring.  Novelty bands like Bloodhound gang and Blink 182 I find hard to listen to now ad well.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Flashy guitar instrumentals.  So the likes of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai etc.  Back when I was trying to push myself on guitar I found them really interesting to listen to but these days I rarely, if ever, listen to them.

Some other instrumental music, even guitar instrumentals, I can and do listen to but they generally are not of a flashy or technical nature.  

But these days I'm much more into the song as a whole than the guitar playing in isolation.  Drop a good solo in a song sure, but to have a song simply as a vehicle to support and show off technical guitar skills seems a waste to me now.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11682
    edited June 2022
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:

TBH apart from listening to Paranoid (album) as a teenager (which every teenager has to),   never really "got" Sabbath  beyond that.
    The first five albums are brilliant - the first one in particular is one of the most important and influential albums ever made by anyone. But the genius who made it so was Iommi - and Geezer Butler wrote most of the lyrics, not Ozzy...
     Volume 4 and Master Of Reality are bona fide classics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wiz to those who said Aerosmith. Loved them circa Pump and went to see them when they were promoting it and they were great. But they've released little if anything of worth since, and Tyler is such a twat I can't bear to listen to him these days.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I can't imagine that I would decide to listen to anything by The Lurkers these days. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 954
    Rod, Jane and Freddy. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Oasis. Got caught up in the hype, found the second album disappointing and never really listened to them since.

I have the Stereophonics first single, which I still think is great, but it was all downhill after that.
    First Stereophonics album was great at the time, but I’d happily never listen to them again. 

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Iron Maiden.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28197
    Most of them. For me music is like chewing gum - after a while/certain number of listens it's just not interesting.

Some music lasts longer for me than other music.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1412
    edited June 2022
    Rush for me. I was a huge fan as a young teenager and then started to go off them when Signals was released. I've tried listening to them in recent years but find most of it tedious.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    There are very few bands that I just would not consider listening to now, but .....

I am embarrassed to say that I bought the first two Motley Crue albums on release. I can't see them ever getting a spin again.

The music was rather crap, and they looked a bunch of twats, but I read the 4 books and they were all a great read (the Dirt plus Tommy, Vince and Nikki's books). I will re-read them all at some point.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1560
    I think it would be easier to list the ones that I still listen to.

Tons of stuff has fallen away. That's not to mean they weren't important to me in my teenage and 20s years, just that times move on.

Yes, I am very much in the same boat and have a vast music collection with many albums that haven't been played in donkeys. Although I do find myself creating Spotify playlists that contain snippets and gems (eg right now - "He's Frank" by The Monochrome Set) which are essential links.

But by and large my listening is now the odd new thing (Wet Leg, Horsegirl, Just Mustard) and higher profile faves (Floyd, Beatles, Stereolab, PiL, etc etc).

So to list what I cannot handle...how long have you got !!??

In fact I do question whether I like music anymore. I know I do, but am not sure if I really do the way I used to. Rambling...
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited June 2022
    Mr Big. Megadeth. Slayer. Black Sabbath. Led Zeppelin. Oasis. Blur. Guns N Roses. Sigur Ros. The Prodigy. Limp Bizkit. Incubus. Deftones. RHCP. Death. Iron Maiden. Porcupine Tree. U2. Neil Young. Metallica.
    Each of those bands each have some/many songs that I would listen to from time to time, but I wouldn't have much interest in seeking them out anymore.
    With Metallica in particular, I listened to the 1st 6 albums so much, there's nothing there for me anymore. I know every note off the top of my head at this stage.
    edited June 2022

In fact I do question whether I like music anymore. I know I do, but am not sure if I really do the way I used to. Rambling...
    Ramble on!

*EDIT: Pun intended.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 146
    The Levellers.  -Used to love the folky, punky vibe... Now some of the lyrics make me cringe.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    S Club 7
    I've just grown out of them .....
    When I sat next to Rachel Stevens in a local restaurant recently I told her I was a big fan but she didn't seem impressed so it's kind of put me off .
    She lives locally so I see her around a lot.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom