Interesting or Cool Guitars at Glastonbury - post in here. nb. This in NOT the Glastonbury thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    Something I've been curious about, but don't want to appear snarky - do Wet Leg have someone buying their guitars for them? I mean, it's been observed that their approach to the instrument is somewhat rudimentary. This isn't something I have a problem with, to be honest, it's fun and I got into playing during punk when anything more complicated was somehow a crime against music. But it seems odd that someone who has that approach to the notes would be the same person to say "What I need is a custom Esquire with a staple p90". The other player had what I remember to be a similarly custom offset with RWHBs (may be remembering it wrong, perhaps I should have gone to iPlayer to check). It's something I've noticed before with different instruments. They seem either to have a lot of guitars or a lot of instrument turnover.

Anyone can have whatever instrument they like, AFAIC, but there is a disjuncture there. 

There is also the possibility that they're both actually flashy players and guitar afficionados who are going simple for the fun of it. 

(I've been assuming that the three blokes are basically ringers, so their gear is going to be basic pro stuff, but am happy to be corrected.)
    I haven't watched the set but she was using a Noventa tele last time I looked which is what that sounds like and they are a pretty off the shelf kinda guitar. 

How does anyone make a guitar buying decision?

Isn’t this just a very common thing as a band start climbing the ladder ? Pretty usual to start with rudimentary instruments, and then when they can afford it but in something better. 

Pretty sure Wet Leg upgraded their guitars earlier in the year. Mgmt will encourage this too - Chris Parry buying Robert Smith his Jazzmaster springs to mind…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Rhian in Wet Leg on a Fender Noventa Tele, very nice in Blonde/Maple, with a single P90 and three saddle bridge
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    Just seen the Herbie Hancock set.  Some really tasty (and expensive) guitars on show there.  Not sure what, maybe Sadowsky 7 string?
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited June 2022
    Declan mckenna playing a sunburst Fender Meteora. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    west said:
    west said:
    As a collings fan some dude in some band playing a jet black collings i35 pretty sure it was an LC one from the fret markers ....
    Big Thief, and that performance was top 3 I’ve seen this weekend. Incredible band 

Thanks for the confirmation ;)
    They both use Collings guitars and Magnatone amps. Possibly a sneaky wee deal...

https://reverb.com/news/big-thief-interview
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cate Le Bon is playing a suitably weird guitar -  what is it?
  • rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 102
    I've only seen one PRS all weekend. Must be going out of fashion.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Toms_Dad said:
    Just seen the Herbie Hancock set.  Some really tasty (and expensive) guitars on show there.  Not sure what, maybe Sadowsky 7 string?

@Toms_Dad ; where ? cant see herbie on iplayer / ;)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited June 2022
    Gotta say that Fender's marketing team deserve a pat in the back. As far as I can tell, nearly all the 'new' upcoming acts seem to be using their guitars and amps...

Or maybe it's just because Gibsons are now so expensive that even Glastonbury acts can't afford them?
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Cate Le Bon is playing a suitably weird guitar -  what is it?
    Looks very much like one of those bitsa-Vox Brandoni guitars.  Very odd combo of Strat SSS pickups but with a wraparound hardtail bridge.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    rhinofeet said:
    I've only seen one PRS all weekend. Must be going out of fashion.
    They haven't been in fashion since nu-metal was the hot new thing!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    west said:
    Toms_Dad said:

On the live stream from The BBC.  I didn't find it, Toms_Brother did.  It's rather beyond my technical know how I'm afraid.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Something I've been curious about, but don't want to appear snarky - do Wet Leg have someone buying their guitars for them? I mean, it's been observed that their approach to the instrument is somewhat rudimentary. This isn't something I have a problem with, to be honest, it's fun and I got into playing during punk
    Maybe they just go to shops & website and see what they like the look of? 
    Maybe they buy guitars that they try, play well and sound good, and don't disappear up their own behinds trying to sound like Dave Gilmour as well... 

I bet I know why Rhian uses an esquire, she needs one basic tone that it does and doesn't want a pickup selector to accidentally whack or any other requirement to piss about.

I'm sure they will come cap in hand to the guitar gatekeepers sometime before their second album...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Toms_Dad said:
    west said:
    Toms_Dad said:

On the live stream from The BBC.  I didn't find it, Toms_Brother did.  It's rather beyond my technical know how I'm afraid.

Thanks dude !  i will keep an eye out ... currently watching snarky puppy who are an oasis of joy in a sea of shit ....
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    If Fender want to start chasing the fat old curmudgeon market I’m sure TFB would appreciate the ad revenue…
    FTFY
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 102
    west said:
    Toms_Dad said:
    west said:
    Toms_Dad said:

Thanks dude !  i will keep an eye out ... currently watching snarky puppy who are an oasis of joy in a sea of shit ....
    What is the snarky puppy guitarist playing? A framus?
    rhinofeet said:
    west said:
    Toms_Dad said:
    west said:
    Toms_Dad said:

What is the snarky puppy guitarist playing? A framus?

Not sure dude , im trying to figure out if letterri has developed a beer belly /baldness or if its someone else ...  will report back ... ;)
    solved ....
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18773
    edited June 2022
    west said:
    Toms_Dad said:
    west said:
    Toms_Dad said:

@Toms_Dad ;; where ? cant see herbie on iplayer /

@west   Herbie Hancock & Kacey Musgraves set is on BBC4 TV tonight at 8pm 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9624
    Cate Le Bon is playing a suitably weird guitar -  what is it?
    Looks very much like one of those bitsa-Vox Brandoni guitars.  Very odd combo of Strat SSS pickups but with a wraparound hardtail bridge.
    Shape was similar to a Vox Phantom… any photos of of it don’t seem to show a logo or name anywhere.

Also played through a JC120, been seeing a lot of them (and their smaller siblings) on stages recently as well.