Is there a song that you really hate?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Most Guns’n’Roses stuff. I should qualify that by saying a lot of the guitar work, the riffs and actual music are fine, it’s Axl’s nasal catterwauling and the way he drags out the word-erds that I can’t stand. There’s a couple that really make me cringe, Knocking on Heavens door is really bad but November Rain honestly makes me grind my teeth. 

Plus the usual suspects: Lady in red, Duane’s never ending slide bit in Layla, football team novelty records, etc etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Snags said:
    Rocker said:
    Was there any music (of note) recorded since 1979?

Presumably you must partially rate Summer of 69, given your desire to work out how to use an overdrive pedal so you can play it?
    Chill out man, this thread is meant to be a bit of fun......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    Given your posting history it's not always easy to work out what's serious and what isn't ... <mwah!>
  • mr335ishmr335ish Frets: 18
    Anything by Leonard Cohen unless you're really determined to stick your head in a gas oven.
    All rap/hip hop/drum n bass/grime/gangsta rap/turntablism/etc, etc.  Skillful, talented, but I just don't get it. Innit.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't usually like to participate in "I hate..." threads, but I will make an exception for Mr Brightside.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    edited August 2022

Musician Nile Rodgers has said the most valuable lesson he has learnt in his career has been "not to be a music snob". The Chic co-founder, 69, said " Any song in the top 40 is a great composition because it speaks to the souls of a million strangers. As an artist, that was the greatest lesson I ever got"

Edit: Obviously everything by Oasis.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited August 2022
    I haven't read this whole 8 page thread but -

"Silence Is Golden" - The Tremeloes.

Was on top of the pops about 10 weeks running when I was a kid and I still fucking hate the fucking Tremeloes to this day so there.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    I feel the same about Bohemian Rhapsody; nine weeks, wasn't it?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited August 2022
    There was one song I remember bugging me and it was at a time where I was living with my ex. because she always had the radio on and I hardly ever do myself. 

"Young dumb and broke" I think it was called, or at least that was the chorus. No idea who made it. 

Dung bung and bowk!

It seemed unescapable at the time.

Wouldn't even say I "hated", it did bring a few laughs. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited August 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    DannyP said:

Dross that threatens to ruin the reputation of an otherwise genius artist:

Do you want to know a secret – The Beatles

Quest for fire – Iron Maiden

Think about you – Guns & Roses

Kokomo – The Beach Boys

I'd go for Back in the Village, personally.  But they do have a number of other duds.
    Stranger in a strange land ..............now that is a dog
    I'm not a big fan of Alexander the Great or Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  Most of the very long tracks where Bruce repeats the song title a lot are not great...

Quite educational though. I wouldn't have looked at a poetry book if it wasn't for ROTAM  B)
    I think that song and "hallowed be thy name" were better on live after death. 
    Some of the studio stuff could be a bit "tame" compared to live.
  • Good to see Chasing Cars getting a mention & quite a few of the other horrors I remember having to listen to on radios not under my control.  THere are some mentioned here I have never heard, but my guess is I really wouldn't want to.
    Probably very unpopular choices, but I hate any Crowded House songs I have heard, not up there with marroon 5, & r-kelly's kitchen song, but close.
    Not sure If I mentioned this before, but that novelty song about fast food places- "mcdonalds, macdonalds" etc etc. I remember listening to some current affairs or news programme on the radio & there was a clip of a nursery teacher getting the children to sing it. ArrgggHH .

Good mention of "peaceful queasy feeling"- audible jello.

I can't stand anything by the lad Sherrin either, but my understanding is he is a very nice person so find it hard to be condemnatory.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    DannyP said:

Dross that threatens to ruin the reputation of an otherwise genius artist:

Do you want to know a secret – The Beatles

Quest for fire – Iron Maiden

Think about you – Guns & Roses

Kokomo – The Beach Boys

I'd go for Back in the Village, personally.  But they do have a number of other duds.
    I'll take either of those over Fear Of The Dark
    I’m glad you said that. I’ve always hated that song and still can’t fathom why people like it. Back in the Village was (and still is!) one of my favourites off Powerslave. Really fiddly riff to play too.
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 710
    Anything by the Carpenters, that wailing woman does my head in. Don't get the adulation for her voice. Always sounds like she's singing flat or out of tune to me.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Off the top of my head, Peaceful Easy Feeling by The Eagles. In fact anything by The Eagles.
    SO much wisdom. Someone told me on here once I was wrong for not liking the Eagles (ironic for a Palace fan), but if that's wrong I don't want to be right.
  • Simply The Best
    Africa - Toto
    Westend Boys - in fact anything by Pet Shop Boys
    Any shred
    Most heavy metal
    NO! I love Africa, sorry Waz, Weezer's cover is also a banger.
  • BlueStrat said:

The boring slide  part in Layla. 

Couldnt agree more, bored the arse off me that did . 
    I don't know, I associate that with a scene in my favourite film of all time, so I'm conflicted.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    Don't Leave Me This Way - The Communards

big dumb 80s production, that harpsichord riff thing, wailing vocals - just a huge empty mess devoid of the emotion of the Harold Melvin original - I do like the piano riff interlude though - even though it's got that parped brass section bit in between.

Biggest selling single of 1986 - so..what do I know eh?

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    The Whole of the Moon by the Waterboys.

As well as detesting it musically, the only time I hear it serves as a marker the night is about to be over and the pain is about to begin. I'm now about to start regretting not booking the taxi I'd promised I'd book 4 hours ago. A long wait in the rain for a taxi repeatedly "on it's way luv" will follow with Mrs L giving me grief the whole time. The next 24 hours will be purgatory filled with a raging hangover and regrets of a day written off. 
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire 
    Pretty much everything Oasis ever did ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    TLDR

But .... Anything by Supertramp.

I was never a fan of the nasal wheedling vocals, however when I lived next door to a heavy drinker, he'd come home bladdered, play Supertramp's Greatest Hits (Side 1) very loudly and pass out. He did this 3-4 times/week.  We moved house in the end and sold it to a Trombone player ;)

However, I still feel physically ill when I hear anything by Supertramp - he made our lives a misery for 2-3 years.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback