Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands that don't fit their name

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Sporky said:
    Party Cannon! 
    Actual genius. You can spot them a mile off
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Oasis. 

Literally the last thing I'd want to hear anywhere let alone whilst crossing a desert. 
    I am no Oasis apologist, but in fairness to them, they were named after a Swindon leisure spot.  It's just lucky that they weren't named The Sex Offenders' (Badly Tattooed) Arms, or The Dog & Racist.
    Is that place still going? I remember when it opened and, if IIRC, it closed again as the "beach" leaked.
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318

The Beatles. I'm no entomologist, but...... 

Subtle spelling alert. The Beatles was an inspired choice, cos they were a beat group.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    Abigail Williams

she caused the death of 20 women. Seems pretty evil.
  • Reverend said:
    Abigail Williams

If so, it does indeed - I should have guessed it was something like that. On face value without that knowledge, it seemed a pretty strange name for a black metal band.
    JezWynd said:

Subtle spelling alert. The Beatles was an inspired choice, cos they were a beat group.
    Surely then they should have been the Beatmores?
  • I always felt like they'd probably wished they'd come up with a cooler sounding name than just a pun. Could you imagine these days bands or artists going on to be one of the best ever with names like The Indie-cisives, The Metal Detectors, Grime & Punishment, Jimmy Widdly Widdly
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • Imagine Dragons, to me the name promises so much more than they deliver..

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Imagine Dragons, to me the name promises so much more than they deliver..

Although imagining dragons is a lot more satisfying than listening to what the band actually sounds like.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    "The Darkness" always confused me. Anything but dark 
    Brilliant band name, perfectly sums up their whole tongue in cheek shtick.
    edited September 2022
    JezWynd said:

When I was a little kid, my parents went to a fancy dress party at a neighbour's house (maybe that was something people did in the early '70s....   ).  They told me the host was going as a Beatle.  I was imagining him in a big black shell with a couple of artificial legs, and couldn't work out why he was actually wearing a suit, a skinny tie and a cheap moptop wig.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Panic! At The Disco

Not a disco band.

I suspect The Killers aren’t actually alternatively employed hitmen either…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Killing Heidi. Pics or it didn't happen.
    My fave indie band names from the landfill era were Seal Cub Clubbing Club and Dogs Die In Hot Cars. I also find it hilarious that Let's Wrestle named their album 'In the Court of the Wrestling Let's'
  • Philly_Q said:
    JezWynd said:

When I was a little kid, my parents went to a fancy dress party at a neighbour's house (maybe that was something people did in the early '70s....   ).  They told me the host was going as a Beatle.  I was imagining him in a big black shell with a couple of artificial legs, and couldn't work out why he was actually wearing a suit, a skinny tie and a cheap moptop wig.
    If you've ever read The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, you'd probably not be keen to go to a party dressed as an actual beetle, especially if there's some violin music being performed and/or an apple to hand
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Philly_Q said:
    JezWynd said:

If you've ever read The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, you'd probably not be keen to go to a party dressed as an actual beetle, especially if there's some violin music being performed and/or an apple to hand
    I was only about 6 at the time so that literary reference probably* didn't cross my mind.  And I'll take a wild guess that Ray Fearon, the host in question, hadn't read it either.

(* No definitely, I haven't read it, then or now. ;) )
  • Reverend said:
    Abigail Williams

If so, it does indeed - I should have guessed it was something like that. On face value without that knowledge, it seemed a pretty strange name for a black metal band.
    Abigail Williams is one of the main characters in Arthur Miller's The Crucible, a play about witches and witch trials. So the theme fits the metal scene, but the name is bound to catch people out. 

Similarly the metal band Audrey Horne is named after a character in Twin Peaks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    Rolling Stones apparently gather no moss. I would think that Keef is largely composed of moss these days. 
  • Dave, the grime/ rap/ whatever the kids call it person.

Looks NOTHING like me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
    Oasis. 

Literally the last thing I'd want to hear anywhere let alone whilst crossing a desert. 
    I am no Oasis apologist, but in fairness to them, they were named after a Swindon leisure spot.  It's just lucky that they weren't named The Sex Offenders' (Badly Tattooed) Arms, or The Dog & Racist.
    Is that place still going? I remember when it opened and, if IIRC, it closed again as the "beach" leaked.
    The Oasis Leisure Centre closed for lockdown, never to return. :dissapointed: