Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands that don't fit their name

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    Kevin Ayers and the Whole World.

Or not...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Pretenders.

sounds like they’re a tribute band but really they’re actually the real thing.
    ….except there was already a band called The Real Thing.

Maybe a tribute to The Pretenders could be called The Real Thing, and The Real Thing could have a tribute band called The Pretenders…?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Walker Brothers were quite well known as being neither brothers or having the surname Walker.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Super Furry Animals. They don't look anything like furry animals.

The Hamsters. They don't look anything like furry animals either.
  • I never understood why a Soul/Funk Band called themselves "Brand New Heavies". I quite like their stuff but I must be missing something with the name. Maybe it's a reference to another Artist before my time.
  • I never understood why a Soul/Funk Band called themselves "Brand New Heavies". I quite like their stuff but I must be missing something with the name. Maybe it's a reference to another Artist before my time.
    James Brown reference. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    James Brown reference. 
    Ah, thank you. Makes sense.
  • Used to be a local band knocking about in the 80's called Ronald Rim Ram and The Rim Ram Rammers.
    I don't recall seeing any rimming or ramming going on....... Most disappointing.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2845
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:
    ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

I was always expecting something a lot heavier.
    Excellent call. I really like some of their stuff, but I think it's all off one album. 
    Madonna and Source, Tags and Codes are the classics. But always one or two good tunes on their other albums.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

Excellent call. I really like some of their stuff, but I think it's all off one album. 
    Madonna and Source, Tags and Codes are the classics. But always one or two good tunes on their other albums.
    Having witnessed someone get hospitalised by a flying cymbal to the forehead and a myriad of destructive scenes at a bunch of shows during the Madonna era, the name felt a pretty good fit at the time. And I'd argue the first LP probably has the best killer-to-filler ratio ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Having witnessed someone get hospitalised by a flying cymbal to the forehead and a myriad of destructive scenes at a bunch of shows during the Madonna era, the name felt a pretty good fit at the time...
    That's a step up from vinyl...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Black Lace - Not quite as sexy as you'd imagine.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    The Walker Brothers were quite well known as being neither brothers or having the surname Walker.
    A bit like The Thompson Twins then.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Not a band, but I’d like to suggest any country that includes the word ‘Democratic’ in its name.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - there are none of the things in the band name at all - no killing and certainly not that thrilling
  • ewalewal Frets: 2845
    ewal said:
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

Having witnessed someone get hospitalised by a flying cymbal to the forehead and a myriad of destructive scenes at a bunch of shows during the Madonna era, the name felt a pretty good fit at the time. And I'd argue the first LP probably has the best killer-to-filler ratio ;)
    I was actually thinking about that too. A mate of mine tour managed for them briefly - they were a f'ing nightmare!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000 said:
    The Walker Brothers were quite well known as being neither brothers or having the surname Walker.
    That names a Tin Tin reference though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    Earth Wind & Fire…

• HAL9000 said:
    Yes, but only a bit because (as @lustycourtier points out) the band name is a literary reference rather than purporting to be the name of anyone in the band.