Show us your Brightly coloured Ibanez Shred machines . . .

What's Hot

Comments

• NightswanNightswan Frets: 1520
    Nightswan said:
    Nightswan said:

Is that from the original run? Mine is a 15th but going from your pickup fade that may be an older one? Beautiful guitar!
    Thank You! Yeah...well spotted..it'a 1990, third year of production. Your's would have the Edge Pro trem right? Would love to see some pics of it.
    Thought so, and that’s a particularly nice example! My neighbour had one when I was in my early teens and was one of my inspirations for playing (him, and of course the guitar). As has been mentioned the prices are crazy now; I got mine for £1500 and even those (15ths) are going for silly money. I have a friend (more an acquaintance tbh) who collects the Jems/UVs and has a huge collection of mint examples of every one; he’d make a fortune selling them now. If I got one more it’d be the Root Beer one ( I just like it!) or the 20th with the LEDs. I know someone else with a 20th (who I know better!) … hoping he might sell at some point!
    Cool! You got a great deal on the 15th for sure.  Even the FP2's are going for over £3300 now and I'm not particularly fond of them....zero mojo compared to the 77-FP's! I know a good few guys with great Jem/Uv collections as well. One of my FB friends 'Paul' has this insane collection. I was always more into J Customs. It was a thrill of the chase thing as they used to be Japan market only and were always shrouded in this mystique and how rare they were. Took in a J Custom last week which is number 23 for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1045
    Nightswan said:
    Nightswan said:
    Nightswan said:

Is that from the original run? Mine is a 15th but going from your pickup fade that may be an older one? Beautiful guitar!
    Thank You! Yeah...well spotted..it'a 1990, third year of production. Your's would have the Edge Pro trem right? Would love to see some pics of it.
    Thought so, and that’s a particularly nice example! My neighbour had one when I was in my early teens and was one of my inspirations for playing (him, and of course the guitar). As has been mentioned the prices are crazy now; I got mine for £1500 and even those (15ths) are going for silly money. I have a friend (more an acquaintance tbh) who collects the Jems/UVs and has a huge collection of mint examples of every one; he’d make a fortune selling them now. If I got one more it’d be the Root Beer one ( I just like it!) or the 20th with the LEDs. I know someone else with a 20th (who I know better!) … hoping he might sell at some point!
    Cool! You got a great deal on the 15th for sure.  Even the FP2's are going for over £3300 now and I'm not particularly fond of them....zero mojo compared to the 77-FP's! I know a good few guys with great Jem/Uv collections as well. One of my FB friends 'Paul' has this insane collection. I was always more into J Customs. It was a thrill of the chase thing as they used to be Japan market only and were always shrouded in this mystique and how rare they were. Took in a J Custom last week which is number 23 for me.
    I think we may have the same mutual friend called Paul! Yep there’s an FP2 still in a shop near me going for over 3k…been there since new and gathering dust. The J Customs are beautiful but I can’t go there as it’s be very dangerous!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73620
    Nightswan said:
    RG550

Isn’t that a 750?

I had one of those in white in the mid-90s. I’m actually tempted to buy a white 350 I’ve seen which needs a lot of work but might make a nice budget repro…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM: No...it's a 550...one of the LTD models with the AANJ. I can see why you might think it's a 750...but they didn't have colour matched plates unless it was the black one. RG Series on the headstock means it's 1994 onwards.

Go for the 350. Solid little RG's and great for a project!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73620
    Nightswan said:
    @ICBM: No...it's a 550...one of the LTD models with the AANJ. I can see why you might think it's a 750...but they didn't have colour matched plates unless it was the black one. RG Series on the headstock means it's 1994 onwards.
    Ah... that would explain it! I thought it was a 770 at first but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with a rosewood board.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• March said:
    As per the original request, I have one of these.

@March How do you find it? I am strangely drawn to these, just because of the colour and the interesting pickup combination.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 287
    March said:

@March How do you find it? I am strangely drawn to these, just because of the colour and the interesting pickup combination.
    I really like it. To think of it as a Tele shaped Super Strat would be doing it an injustice, it definitely carries over more of the Tele DNA that just the body shape and retains some of the snap you expect of Tele but is not as inherent in my other ash bodied guitars that are not T shaped. The tones are definitely on the brighter side, but without ever sounding thin or tinny. It also means that the tone control does add value! I was on the fence about the pickups when I first got it but realised that it was my perceptions that needed challenging as my expectation was for it to be in a similar ballpark as my other HSS guitars. Once over that, I really started to like the tones and the versatility these pickups offer. The neck feels great, fuller than what you would expect from Ibanez, but without feeling too big, it's the standard AZ profile although it features a compound 10" to 12" radius as opposed to a straight 12" found on many of the other AZ models. My one note of caution is do not be drawn in by the Ibanez Prestige fret treatment. This guitar arrived with a high fret and the fret ends were not the best. @FelineGuitars ; 
    sorted that out for me and the guitar has been a dream to play ever since. I have a hunch that this was the first or one of the very first LB's in the country, I've had it a year and only recently started to see them being offered in dealers. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 287
    "Michiya" - Something familiar, yet different at the same time! 

Fender Japan Michiya Haruhata Signature Stratocaster. The neck on this is great, chunkier than you would expect - .88" at the 1st fret is not what you would expect from most Floyd equipped guitars but it is really comfortable to play with a slight V at the low end of the neck. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3145
    ^i really love the look of those. I came close to buying one but no one had one in stock when I had the finances available for it. Beautifu
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1238
    stonevibe said:
    Pabcrane said:
    Dave Navarro's gold-top Tele-Style Ibanez which he used around 90-91.

I find it tricky to post photos on The Fretboard but this is a pretty cool looking Ibanez from back in the day.

(unfortunately I wasn't old enough to see them back then but there are some dodgy videos with Dave playing this cool guitar in Brixton circa Ritual)
    It got broken...

https://imgur.com/fA8MPAM.jpg
    I really wanted one of these back then. The closest thing at the time was a HH Starfield (by Ibanez) Cabriolet, but they weren't easy to find. If they realised one now, I'd be on it.
  • March said:
    March said:

I really like it. To think of it as a Tele shaped Super Strat would be doing it an injustice, it definitely carries over more of the Tele DNA that just the body shape and retains some of the snap you expect of Tele but is not as inherent in my other ash bodied guitars that are not T shaped. The tones are definitely on the brighter side, but without ever sounding thin or tinny. It also means that the tone control does add value! I was on the fence about the pickups when I first got it but realised that it was my perceptions that needed challenging as my expectation was for it to be in a similar ballpark as my other HSS guitars. Once over that, I really started to like the tones and the versatility these pickups offer. The neck feels great, fuller than what you would expect from Ibanez, but without feeling too big, it's the standard AZ profile although it features a compound 10" to 12" radius as opposed to a straight 12" found on many of the other AZ models. My one note of caution is do not be drawn in by the Ibanez Prestige fret treatment. This guitar arrived with a high fret and the fret ends were not the best. @FelineGuitars ; 
    sorted that out for me and the guitar has been a dream to play ever since. I have a hunch that this was the first or one of the very first LB's in the country, I've had it a year and only recently started to see them being offered in dealers. 
    Good stuff. Must get out an try one!
  • Feel free to show us your Jem juniors too 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1045
    Nightswan said:
    That’s beautiful….and precisely why I must never start buying those things!! :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MaakMaak Frets: 90
    March said:

Nice!  I really wish they'd done a version with sparkles too;

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5897
    Some lovely guitars in this thread.

I've never really been into Ibanez instruments, or the whole genre of guitar to be fair, but I would probably donate my left testicle for the Ibanez John Petrucci Aztec thing JPM100, was it?  

Not because I like Petrucci as a musician or Dream Theatre as a band per se, but just cos they looked so freaking awesome!

Think they are quite rare these days and probably very expensive.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Maak said:
    March said:

Nice!  I really wish they'd done a version with sparkles too;

Ahh lari basilio I thought the purple one looked familiar 
  • Haych said:
    Some lovely guitars in this thread.

I've never really been into Ibanez instruments, or the whole genre of guitar to be fair, but I would probably donate my left testicle for the Ibanez John Petrucci Aztec thing JPM100, was it?  

Not because I like Petrucci as a musician or Dream Theatre as a band per se, but just cos they looked so freaking awesome!

Think they are quite rare these days and probably very expensive.

I’ve always liked that design too but not really a petrucci disciple 
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1116
    I've been trying to track down one of these Heartfield Talon V's for a few years now, seems they've all ended up in Japan!

I saw Vinnie moore using one of these on the AC Hey Stupid tour, pretty much an Ibby RG by fender but made by Ibby...they also came in blue

but id love the Crimson Frost version.....
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gizmo said:
    I've been trying to track down one of these Heartfield Talon V's for a few years now, seems they've all ended up in Japan!

I saw Vinnie moore using one of these on the AC Hey Stupid tour, pretty much an Ibby RG by fender but made by Ibby...they also came in blue

but id love the Crimson Frost version.....
    They’re ace I remember desiring one & seeing vinnie advertise the, in magazines ,didn’t know they were made by Ibanez ,that’s really cool. Beautiful guitars