Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which bands have kept up a consistently high standard throughout a long career?

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2436
As a counterpart to the thread in OT...

Obvious examples:

The Beatles -- I'm not super keen on the White Album or Let It Be, but they're hardly terrible, and Abbey Road is one of their best. 

XTC -- don't think they ever made a bad album, and late ones like Nonsuch and Apple Venus are among their best.

Can't think of many others. Maybe The Cure? I don't know their stuff very well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    I going to say the converse of @axisus's opening post in that other thread... Rush.

I agree with him that Hold Your Fire was their worst album, and they went through a mediocre patch (by their standards) after that, but they got back to top form with Counterparts (IMO) and pretty much maintained it after that.

I think they're one of the very few bands to have had a really long career which always felt like they were moving forward and not just trading on past glories.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

• Tom Waits 
    Joni Mitchell

ACDC :) I'm slightly serious too
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    Manics
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    edited December 2022
    Ralph McTell - from late 60s and still going as well to a high standard aged 79.  Still writing too
  • I'm not claiming every album was great (there's the ill considered Songs from The Capeman for a start) but Paul Simon's last album was a very solid piece of work and I think hes produced a couple of excellent albums in the past 20 years, not bad for an artist who dates back to the early 60s.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Alter Bridge
    Slash
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17899
    tFB Trader
    Alice in chains. Not as good as the original stuff but having that big of a break and losing a critical member but still managing to produce great albums is really impressive.

Radiohead. I know a lot of people hate everything post OKC but I love them more with every album.

Deftones, again fashionable to only like the early stuff but I think they have maintained an awesome standard.

Paramore I don't think these guys get the respect as songwriters they deserve but the singles from the new album suggest they are still on top of their game.

Taylor Swift has steadily grown into one of the best songwriters in modern pop. Folklore / Evermore are a pair of truly superb albums.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Manics
    Good grief, absolutely not.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Killing Joke 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1652
    Manics
    They are such a bad parody of themselves now that it makes the good stuff sound terrible. 

That is a fair achievement. 
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    edited December 2022
    Robert Cray - 48 years in the business and still knocking out great songs and vocals (I know he is not very popular on here)

Joe Satriani - only 44 years in, but coming along nicely D

(Edit - I guess they are not bands! It's easier for one person to keep their standards high I supppose)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Half Man Half Biscuit. 
    They just get better with age, to the point that I think they might just be the best band in the UK today. 

The Clash.
    Apart from Cut The Crap, obviously.

The Smiths.
    Strangeways was a masterpiece. 

• Hmm longevity , high standard    It’s difficult to say  as you’d want to name your favourite bands 
      Which for me would be , Rolling Stones , Aerosmith & Guns n roses  but then lots of people don’t like certain albums  and it’s because I love loads of their stuff .

looking at the question objectively I’d say The Eagles & Toto  & Ozzy Osbourne 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can think of many jazz, pop and blues artists, but maybe you mean traditional bands? QOTSA can still put out good music amongst some middling stuff. Slipknot? Those sorts of bands? 
  • I disagree that The Beatles and The Smiths had a “long career”.

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3980
    edited December 2022
    Pearl Jam. 30+ years since the debut album and still going strong. Never had a massively long break at any point either, which is quite rare.

EDIT: would also add Suede on the back of their excellent recent album, though they did disappear for quite a while before that.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6601
    edited December 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    I going to say the converse of @axisus's opening post in that other thread... Rush.

I agree with him that Hold Your Fire was their worst album, and they went through a mediocre patch (by their standards) after that, but they got back to top form with Counterparts (IMO) and pretty much maintained it after that.

I think they're one of the very few bands to have had a really long career which always felt like they were moving forward and not just trading on past glories.
    I agree. The latter Rush albums are generally underrated.

• Neil Young
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2436
    I think it might be fair to include Lou Reed and David Bowie. They both released the odd unlistenable album but neither declined into irrelevance or ended up making the same record over and over again like many do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    Manics

Good grief, I think you're wrong...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom