Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which bands have kept up a consistently high standard throughout a long career?

What's Hot

Comments

• Some of you lot need higher standards. I love the Stones and ACDC but the idea that either of them maintained high standards is laughable - neither has recorded more than 1 or 2 great songs since 1982

REM and Radiohead are definitely good choices. I love REM's Accelerate and Collapse..  - it's the couple before those where the biggest dip happened.

I would make an argument for U2. Absolutely fantastic form until the last 3 records or so, and still one of the greatest live acts around. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Two slightly left-field examples: Sparks - I'm not so keen on their mid-period stuff, but that's mainly a thing with the production, the songs are excellent, and everything they've done for the last twenty-five years is wonderful. Similarly, They Might Be Giants - if you're the kind of person who likes Lincoln or Flood, everything that's come out since is just as enjoyable (though I do realise they kind of annoy a lot of people). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can only agree with some already listed:
    • Radiohead
    • Richard Thompson (is he the best songwriter still working and being creative after a 50yr career?) 
    • Joni Mitchell 
    And to add:
    • PJ Harvey
    • Laura Marling
    • Van Der Graaf Generator/Peter Hamill - also 50yrs into their careers and still being innovative and creative with something to say

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 949
    Clutch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I would make an argument for U2. Absolutely fantastic form until the last 3 records or so, and still one of the greatest live acts around. 
    I would agree. Their last 2 'Songs of' albums have been a little underwhelming but they are still decent with a good selection of pop/rock songs on each. The public image has gone downhill with them though and a lot of my muso friends see them more as a nostalgia act now rather than the continuously evolving thing that they have been their whole career. The band seems to stand by their last few albums more than their fans.

NLOTH was great I though!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    I love REM's Accelerate and Collapse..  - it's the couple before those where the biggest dip happened.
    Reveal was alright - it was Around The Sun that the band themselves disowned.

They said the issue was they started recording it then did their whole best of campaign, so by the time they came back they didn't want to go back to those songs.  You can hear it as well, "Leaving New York" sounds less like a paean to one of the world's great cities and more like it should be about how the only good thing in Hull is that big aquarium.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ..."Leaving New York" sounds less like a paean to one of the world's great cities and more like it should be about how the only good thing in Hull is that big aquarium.
    Deep, man.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would make an argument for U2. Absolutely fantastic form until the last 3 records or so, and still one of the greatest live acts around. 
    I would agree. Their last 2 'Songs of' albums have been a little underwhelming but they are still decent with a good selection of pop/rock songs on each. The public image has gone downhill with them though and a lot of my muso friends see them more as a nostalgia act now rather than the continuously evolving thing that they have been their whole career. The band seems to stand by their last few albums more than their fans.

I generally agree. Though both HTTAAB and NLOTH suffered from poor quality control. Great moments let down by utter rubbish. For every as good as All Because of You or Breathe there is I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Get on Your Boots and Crumbs from Your Table. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • euaneuan Frets: 1663
    I’d add Mogwai as they are still putting out excellent work and are bigger than ever as a live band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    Each to their own. My choices are;

Fleetwood Mac
    Eagles
    Rolling Stones
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 443
    Pearl Jam instantly come to mind for me. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    Mark Lanegan. Amazing output right up till his death in Feb this year. Also a consistent performer and collaborator. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2863

• Richard Thompson (is he the best songwriter still working and being creative after a 50yr career?) 
    I refer /also again to Ralph McTell, even longer it would seem, and just completed a tour of his recent new album.  

I generally agree. Though both HTTAAB and NLOTH suffered from poor quality control. Great moments let down by utter rubbish. For every as good as All Because of You or Breathe there is I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Get on Your Boots and Crumbs from Your Table. 
    FWIW, I think Songs of Innocence is a very strong album - by far my favourite of the post Achtung Baby releases - and Songs of Experience is actually pretty good…not a classic but far from a dud too.

I know it’s not the general consensus amongst fans but for me Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are all weaker overall than the last three albums.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    Bowie
    Lou Reed
    Tom Waits
    Nick Cave
    Mark Lanegan
    The Damned
    The Cure
    Beck
    Eels
    Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    Howe Gelb
    REM
    Jack White

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    What all this seems to show is it's much easier for solo artists to keep the standard up over a long career than it is for bands. Not surprising I suppose. 

Fleetwood Mac is a good shout though.
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    euan said:
    I’d add Mogwai as they are still putting out excellent work and are bigger than ever as a live band. 
    I'd agree with Mogwai. Going from strength to strength. Going to see them play tomorrow. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3136
    Ozrics
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • The Charlatans.