Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which bands have kept up a consistently high standard throughout a long career?

What's Hot

Comments

• Dinosaur Jr, with apologies if they've already been mentioned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 924
    edited December 2022
    The Blue Nile, although quality over quantity

I had high hopes for Neil Young's latest album produced by Rick Rubin but am undecided as yet.  I think Rick may be too much of a fan to ask Neil to wind it in a bit.

Rush were very consistent.  Some albums were less likeable for me but still high quality in nearly every way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    ..."Leaving New York" sounds less like a paean to one of the world's great cities and more like it should be about how the only good thing in Hull is that big aquarium.
    Deep, man.

Sorry, Hull really is a shithole.

I mean I live near Northampton, so have no excuse to talk BTW.
    No, it's called 'The Deep' ;)
    Oh yeah... duh :lol: 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Also for me Steely Dan, those run of albums from Can’t by a thrill to Gaucho are all absolute classics. The reform albums in the 2000’s not so much. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I love REM's Accelerate and Collapse..  - it's the couple before those where the biggest dip happened.
    Reveal was alright - it was Around The Sun that the band themselves disowned.

They said the issue was they started recording it then did their whole best of campaign, so by the time they came back they didn't want to go back to those songs.  You can hear it as well, "Leaving New York" sounds less like a paean to one of the world's great cities and more like it should be about how the only good thing in Hull is that big aquarium.
    I quite like a fair few things of around the sun, I know I am alone in this though.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    dindude said:
    I quite like a fair few things of around the sun, I know I am alone in this though.
    That's another reason TBF I stay out of these threads.

If an REM song nobody else loved gives you some pleasure it's done it's job, doesn't matter if the band like it or I like it, if you do, then that's all that should matter to you.

Of course like every rem album, it sold loads, probably loads of people liked it!

I find the idea of objective standards for music to quote a word over used on here recently faintly obscene.

Life is too short and too painful to have to be told what music you can or can't like.

One of my favourite Rem albums is the much derided Up.. I have fond memories of the time around it's release.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 957
    Deftones
    Fugazi
    Mogwai
    The Bronx/Mariachi El Bronx
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Field
    Caspian
    Bjork

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    dindude said:

You’re not. I like that album a lot, in fact a couple of my favourite REM tracks are on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Half Man Half Biscuit
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4773
    Joni MItchell without a doubt.  Not a bad album in her career, in fact each one is better than the one before.  Amazing woman.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    I thought of a couple more: Field Music and Cass McCombs.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3057
    edited December 2022
    The Melvins.... still going stong, now going into their 40th year, they haven't stopped gigging and releasing their uniquely weird and heavy form or rock music. 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    dindude said:
    That's another reason TBF I stay out of these threads.

If an REM song nobody else loved gives you some pleasure it's done it's job, doesn't matter if the band like it or I like it, if you do, then that's all that should matter to you.

Of course like every rem album, it sold loads, probably loads of people liked it!

I find the idea of objective standards for music to quote a word over used on here recently faintly obscene.

Life is too short and too painful to have to be told what music you can or can't like.

One of my favourite Rem albums is the much derided Up.. I have fond memories of the time around it's release.
    Up brings back memories of listening to it in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco, so I rather like it as well.
  • Neil young and the “Horse”
    Lou Reed
    Joni Mitchell

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Supergrass. 
    Violent Femmes.

And of course, Brian Pern.

• PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Kilgore said:
    Supergrass. 
    Violent Femmes.

And of course, Brian Pern.

Brian Pern. I miss the man who invented world music!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2567
    edited December 2022
    Wire

The only survivors of that first wave of punk bands that are making music now that's as good (better in some cases) than the stuff they put out when they first emerged.  The only possible blip I'd concede would be their period circa The First Letter LP (1991) when they lost Gotobed on drums for a while...but even then, I love the "So And Slow It Grows" single from that era. 
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2658
    So obviously a matter of taste... Initial thoughts were Mogwai and Low who have both been mentioned. So I'm going to throw in the Kadane brothers in all their band guises.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4389
    Already mentioned a couple of times, Deftones. 

Big Thief are extremely consistent although not a particularly long career. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• The Blue Nile, although quality over quantity

I don’t really agree with you on this. 

Peace At Last has some great songs but is very inconsistent. 

I bought High on the day of release and almost cried with disappoint when I first heard it. A sort of Hats by numbers, without the emotional weight that made that album so special.

If you’re a fan and haven’t heard it, PJ Moore’s recent When A Good Day Comes is worth a listen.