Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which bands have kept up a consistently high standard throughout a long career?

What's Hot

Comments

• Some of you lot need higher standards. I love the Stones and ACDC but the idea that either of them maintained high standards is laughable - neither has recorded more than 1 or 2 great songs since 1982

REM and Radiohead are definitely good choices. I love REM's Accelerate and Collapse..  - it's the couple before those where the biggest dip happened.

I would make an argument for U2. Absolutely fantastic form until the last 3 records or so, and still one of the greatest live acts around. 
    There’s loads of great post 82 Stones songs 
    undercver of the night 
    one hit to the body 
    harlem shuffle
    miixed emotions 
    rock & a hard place
    almost hear you sigh (absolutely awesome)
    Slipping away
    love is strong
    you got me rockin
    out of tears 
    I go wild
    Rain fall down 
    streets of love
    doom & gloom 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    CoolCat said:

Eagles
    As a fan of the Eagles.... no. They never made a great studio album after Hotel California. The Long Run is patchy, and Long Road Out Of Eden is terrible. Live is outstanding (if debatably live!), and Hell Freezes Over is OK, but the studio tracks are weak. I saw them at the last show of that tour and that was the end of the real Eagles, for me - they were never the same without Don Felder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    Duran Duran
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    viz said:
    Duran Duran
    There are a couple of pretty dodgy albums in the 90s. The most recent ones are good though.

To get in before you, I don’t think Steve Vai has made a bad album ;). (Although I don’t like Sex & Religion.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Some of you lot need higher standards. I love the Stones and ACDC but the idea that either of them maintained high standards is laughable - neither has recorded more than 1 or 2 great songs since 1982

REM and Radiohead are definitely good choices. I love REM's Accelerate and Collapse..  - it's the couple before those where the biggest dip happened.

I would make an argument for U2. Absolutely fantastic form until the last 3 records or so, and still one of the greatest live acts around. 
    There’s loads of great post 82 Stones songs 
    undercver of the night 
    one hit to the body 
    harlem shuffle
    miixed emotions 
    rock & a hard place
    almost hear you sigh (absolutely awesome)
    Slipping away
    love is strong
    you got me rockin
    out of tears 
    I go wild
    Rain fall down 
    streets of love
    doom & gloom 

I think we have a very different take on the definition of "great"! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11444
    Paul Gilbert. I don't think he's recorded a duff album. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    edited December 2022
    Spiritualized
    Billy Bragg
    Radiohead
    Stereolab
    Richard Thompson
    David Bowie
    U2 (with caveats ;) )

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33989
    edited December 2022
    Clutch.
    Been going 30 years, 13 studio albums.
    Not a single dud album.
    Still the original line up.

Autechre- although some might not consider them a 'band'.
    35 years, 15 studio albums, each pushing the limit of what was technically possible at the time.
    Can be a difficult listen for the non-initiated.

I'd also suggest Porcupine Tree and moe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    ..."Leaving New York" sounds less like a paean to one of the world's great cities and more like it should be about how the only good thing in Hull is that big aquarium.
    Deep, man.

Sorry, Hull really is a shithole.

I mean I live near Northampton, so have no excuse to talk BTW.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ..."Leaving New York" sounds less like a paean to one of the world's great cities and more like it should be about how the only good thing in Hull is that big aquarium.
    Deep, man.

No, it's called 'The Deep' ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437

Having spent a fair amount of time in both places, I'd take Hull every time. They're both shitholes but there is a ton of interesting stuff going on in Hull, and a proper music scene. And it's very cheap.
  • Saint Etienne
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5798
    The Police - all their albums sound much alike to me, I couldn't tell you which songs come from which album, but I do have them all and I don't think they had a weak album.

Another vote for Rush - if Hold Your Fire was their weakest album, then it's still better than a lot of stuff from the same era by other big name bands.  And I think if they hadn't included Tai Shan on that album it would be seen in a very different light.

The Zutons - all fairly consistent and enjoyable stuff regardless of the album.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3907
    Low
    The National 
    Radiohead
    R.E.M. (If we excuse Around the Sun and Reveal)

All seem to manage to reinvent themselves from album to album
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    Stuckfast said:

Having spent a fair amount of time in both places, I'd take Hull every time. They're both shitholes but there is a ton of interesting stuff going on in Hull, and a proper music scene. And it's very cheap.
    Oh hell yes, I agree completely.

Also correct on the last point, Northampton is shit and incredibly expensive.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Placebo, Bob Mould in his ever evolving machinations.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Alice in chains. Not as good as the original stuff but having that big of a break and losing a critical member but still managing to produce great albums is really impressive.

Radiohead. I know a lot of people hate everything post OKC but I love them more with every album.

Deftones, again fashionable to only like the early stuff but I think they have maintained an awesome standard.

Paramore I don't think these guys get the respect as songwriters they deserve but the singles from the new album suggest they are still on top of their game.

Taylor Swift has steadily grown into one of the best songwriters in modern pop. Folklore / Evermore are a pair of truly superb albums.
    Wis'd for AIC, Paramore and Swifty. Never been a huge Deftness or Radiohead fan so can't comment here. 

how long is "long" in this case? 

Hundred Reasons released their first album in 2002 and their following efforts were all absolutely solid. After a long hiatus, their new album, being released in feb, has all the signs of carrying on where they left off in terms of songwriting quality (if the singles are anything to go by). 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Haych said:
    The Police - all their albums sound much alike to me, I couldn't tell you which songs come from which album, but I do have them all and I don't think they had a weak album.

Did The Police have a long career? Late 70s to mid 80s? Just checked - 5 years and 5 albums. 
  • ..."Leaving New York" sounds less like a paean to one of the world's great cities and more like it should be about how the only good thing in Hull is that big aquarium.
    Deep, man.

Grimsby makes Hull look positively cosmopolitan 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pjon said:
    Haych said:

Did The Police have a long career? Late 70s to mid 80s? Just checked - 5 years and 5 albums. 
    The second Police album, Regatta de Blanc, was a complete dud after the first one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom