Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which bands have kept up a consistently high standard throughout a long career?

What's Hot

Comments

• The Hawks/The Band

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fairly predictably i'd like to add Jack White in the various guises, 25 years since White Stripes were formed and he's been pretty prolific by just starting a new band when others run out of time

1997 - Formed White Stripes
    1999 - White Stripes Debut album
    2000 - White Stripes - De Stijl
    2001 - White Stripes - White Blood Cells
    2003 - White Stripes - Elephant. 2x Grammy award winning, 2 more nominations
    2004 - Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose. 2x Grammy awards wins, 2 more nominations
    2005 - White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan. Grammy award winning, 1 more nomination
    2006 - Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers. 2x Grammy nominations
    2007 - White Stripes - Icky Thump. 2x Grammy award winning, 2 more nominations
    2008 - Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely. Grammy winner, 1 more nomination
    2008 - Duet with Alicia Keys - Another Way to Die for Quantum of Solace 007. Grammy nominated
    2009 - Dead Weather - Horehound
    2010 - White Stripes - Under Great White Northern Lights. Grammy winner, and one other nomination
    2010 - Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards
    2012 - Solo - Blunderbuss. 5x grammy nominations
    2014 - Solo - Lazaretto. Grammy Award Winning, and 2 more nominations
    2015 - Dead Weather - Dodge and Burn
    2018 - Solo - Boarding House Reach
    2019 - Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger
    2022 - Solo - Fear of the Dawn and Entering Heaven Alive
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10775
    ICBM said:
    viz said:
    Duran Duran
    There are a couple of pretty dodgy albums in the 90s. The most recent ones are good though.

To get in before you, I don’t think Steve Vai has made a bad album ;). (Although I don’t like Sex & Religion.)

You will :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 498
    edited December 2022
    PhilW1 said:
    Clutch
    I came here to say that. I think they may even be improving with age. Incredible band.

I'll add:
    Russian Circles
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5191
    Hoof said:
    PhilW1 said:
    Clutch
    I came here to say that. I think they may even be improving with age. Incredible band.

I'll add:
    Russian Circles
    Ive never bothered listening to them. Seen them live twice and they've been destroyed by the other band on the bill so never bothered 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    Mike Watt continues to make brilliant stuff From Minutemen days to now, total workaholic.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Morrissey. I know people hate him for being a huge troll.  I was a huge smiths fan, still am but Morrissey on his own has released masterpiece after masterpiece, rarely dipping in quality or lacking relevance. 

Paul Weller. I cant remember the last time I listened to the Jam, but the style council I listen to daily and solo, fantastic. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    Manic Street Preachers - 14 studio albums, a record 34 UK Top 40 hits, various number one singles and albums. Constantly re-evaluating and re-inventing themselves. Lost a band member quite tragically but kept going. Together now 35 years and releasing music for 30+ years.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    2 Unlimited

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Slipknot and Mastodon are both consistently excellent. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2436
    Has anyone mentioned Half Man Half Biscuit yet? Always at least a couple of complete classics on every album.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    Slipknot and Mastodon are both consistently excellent. 
    I've never got into Slipknot but absolutely agreed on Mastodon, magnificent band although I find the harsher-sounding early stuff hard work.  I like them better now that Brann's singing a lot.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    edited January 2023
    Pearl Jam
    Weezer
    Green Day
    Radiohead
    Foo Fighters

Do the Beatles count?  Most of their stuff covers like 4 years.

Bowie and Lou Reed are good suggestions, too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Cranky said:

It still astounds me that the Beatles entire recording career spans just less than seven years. How much they changed music, and helped to change the world, in that short time is incredible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Aren’t we being a bit Walter Softy here and simply championing favourite artists ??

I am a big Bowie fan, but come on; Tonight, Tin Machine etc are not at the standard of his early (and a couple of later) recordings. Of course he did continue to take his work seriously and was still prolific, but the standard wasn’t consistently high. 

That said, pretty hard to maintain at the level he set himself - so not knocking his drive or integrity. And agreed, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Neil Young - all still valid after lengthy careers.

And Wire spring to mind too, as (over forty years on) they are releasing and playing great stuff - albeit there are still loads of ups and downs.

Chas and Dave ? They never wavered…
    I am a big Bowie fan, but come on; Tonight, Tin Machine etc are not at the standard of his early (and a couple of later) recordings. Of course he did continue to take his work seriously and was still prolific, but the standard wasn’t consistently high. 

Funnily enough, I've never been a Bowie fan - he falls into the "admire more than like" category for me - but I bought the Tin Machine albums because it was Bowie doing Rock.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Philly_Q said:

Funnily enough, I've never been a Bowie fan - he falls into the "admire more than like" category for me - but I bought the Tin Machine albums because it was Bowie doing Rock.
    I quite like the Tin Machine albums - the first one especially - but Tonight wasn’t great. There was a dire one after that too - Never Let Me Down, which ironically is exactly what he did! I would give him the benefit of the doubt though, because his mistakes were the result of trying different things which didn’t work, rather than just churning out the same old.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Bowie had a reputation of always being ahead of the trends, but I remember someone saying - a very long time ago - that he actually had a happy knack of jumping on a bandwagon just after it had set off. 

(I have no idea if that's true, I've never been within a million miles of a trend.  I just thought it was a good quote.)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5191
    Bowie was more of a barometer than trailblazer.
  • ICBM said:
    Cranky said:

It still astounds me that the Beatles entire recording career spans just less than seven years. How much they changed music, and helped to change the world, in that short time is incredible.

I'm not sure the Beatles changed the world anywhere near as the world changed the Beatles.