Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One reason why we may be getting fat (Granola- wtf?!)

What's Hot
thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
I buy 500g bags of Granola, and I noticed I was getting through them quickly. So I tried using 7 heaped dessert spoon sized servings and still found the same problem. So, while in the shop earlier I bought some scales. 6 spoonfuls = 82g, the 'serving' listed on the packet is 40g, which with milk is 249 calories. 40g.. who the fuck calls that a serving?! This means I've been eating well over 500 cals just for that part of my breakfast.

My point is, it's no wonder the population is getting fat. 

I bought two packets of Jelly Tots the other day, and they just so happened to be different packaging. The newer of the two had a portion size that was smaller, but it was blatantly to make the figures on the front more appealing for people so they feel they can treat themselves.

This annoys me. So I thought I'd share it.

Thoughts? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I checked my 'healthy' breakfast one day, my 'portion' of Lidl strawberry crisp, 632 calories!!
    Now I do porridge and a banana, 250 calories.
    I've found granola is fine as cycling fuel but not really breakfast material.
  • It's crazy how quickly you go over with cereal. I only have granola when I haven't got time to cook breakfast, thankfully. It's just so easy to lay in a little longer and just eat that though.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10431
    I eat granola most mornings but I've got a really physical job and working in -26c you soon burn off extra calories.

Been around ten stone most of my adult life so I'm not too concerned with counting calories too much though I do eat quite healthily.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited October 2014
    It annoys me that you can't buy granola without nuts or fruit. I just want plain granola. 

You do have to be careful with serving sizes though; a 500ml bottle of Coke is clearly one serving, yet the big circles on the 'front' are for half the bottle. Often chocolate bars are for half, as a small ready meals sometimes. 

Best to cook from scratch, but obviously not always possible/easy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited October 2014
    @breakstuff - What do you do?!

I'm around 10 1/2 and 5' 8", so it's not a massive concern I'll admit.

@chrispy108 - I even add raisins to mine, so it's even more than 500!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17935
    tFB Trader
    Granola is designed to be a really high calorie food it's why it's used as "trail mix" etc. It's basically cereal soaked in syrup and fat.

People often make the mistake of switching to cereal bars as a healthy alternative to chocolate when a lot of cereal bars are actually higher in calories.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah it is quite worrying when you actually learn how small cereal servings are supposed to be.  Those tiny boxes that Kellogs do in the variety packs, that is how much you're supposed to have.  I really don't see the point, it isn't filling.

I'm quite heavy at the minute and cutting back, definitely avoiding granola.  It tastes awesome though.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Granola is often high in carbs thus has a lot of sugar in it (generally) - pour a load of milk on and you have a very sugary bowl of supposedly healthy carpet  cereal.

I read somewhere that some well known brands have more fat content per bowl that a McDonalds muffin. Not sure of the validity but I think you have to chose a granola or any kind of cereal carefully if you have concerns about weight or sugar intake.

I am utterly addicted to Rice Krispies but even an average size bowl with skimmed milk with no added sugar is pretty bad for me as a Type 2 Diabetic.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17935
    tFB Trader
    I read somewhere that some well known brands have more fat content per bowl that a McDonalds muffin. Not sure of the validity but I think you have to chose a granola or any kind of cereal carefully if you have concerns about weight or sugar intake.
    I think IIRC that McDonalds introduced a "Healthy Eating" granola dessert that had more calories than anything else on the menu.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    The advertising doesn't help.

Stick to Weetabix, oats or eggs - that's the advice I've given to myself...

I fucking love granola though. I can get through a pack in a weekend!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited October 2014
    Granola + yoghurt instead of milk + chopped banana = awesome.  Add honey if you need more sugar (you don't need more sugar).

That Quaker Oat stuff is really tasty, so is Jordans.
    edited October 2014
    thisisguitar said:

@thisisguitar I work in a coldstore and can be in these temperatures for up to three hours at a time. You need to keep your calorie intake up or you'll start to feel the cold within minutes.I eat like a horse at work but ease back a lot when I'm at home.
    I think IIRC that McDonalds introduced a "Healthy Eating" granola dessert that had more calories than anything else on the menu.
    Now that is seriously f*cked up. 

I guess if you're eating a bowl of granola in the morning and then going down cutting trees and logging all day you're all good.
    Sitting in an office all day - not so good.

It's a massive trade off. Some contain oats and grains which have a low Glycemic index but then contain coconut which is high in sat-fats. 
    I'll stick with the Rice Krispies.
  • @breakstuff - Fair play man, that sounds like hard work! Good way to eat whatever you like I suppose :-)

Yeah,that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it >:D<
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I'm around 10 1/2 and 5' 8", so it's not a massive concern I'll admit.

@chrispy108 - I even add raisins to mine, so it's even more than 500!
    How old are you? Don't answer, just use an online BMI calculator. 10.5 at 5'8" doesn't seem an issue, unless your 10 years old and in that case - WTF  :P
  • @KarlosSantos - Haha, I'm 37. Normally around 10st 2lbs, haven't weighed in a while though. On a exercise kick about 5 years ago I dropped to under 9st 2lbs!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    40g.. who the fuck calls that a serving?!

Thoughts? 

Months ago I discovered this too.  But I started weighing out 40g of, well I like All Bran and muesli.

40g did not look like very much. 

20g of muesli really didn't look like much.

But you know what?  You get used to it really quickly.

And it's about right.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I've noticed it too on my weight loss journey, wondering why when I was eating so 'healthy' that I wasn't shifting the pounds. Some cereal is lethal to dieting.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31244
    Refined sugar, stealth carbs....that's why. People don't realise but even things like Milk are full of forms of sugar. (Lactose). We all have a propensity to eat stuff that's been processed too. Although I'd wager that the UK is actually one of the last fat nations right now (your present correspondent excluded....)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.