Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One reason why we may be getting fat (Granola- wtf?!)

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I don't do breakfast. But if I did, it's eggs apparently. That's where the smart money is supposed to be.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4396
    Definitely eggs for breakfast. If I do have muesli I tend to have soya. I can't stand dairy. Cows milk is for cows, not for humans.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272 said:
    I don't do breakfast. But if I did, it's eggs apparently. That's where the smart money is supposed to be.

we have our own chickens so its even smarter for us, I do love a poached egg for brekkie..

• Oh man, life's too short to be checking all these numbers! 
    All I know is, I'm getting to that age where I can't keep eating or I'll put weight on... so I need to eat less and exercise more. Hard thing to do, especially if you sit down all day at work then at home when playing guitar!
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited October 2014

Make your own granola - easy peasy and much better / healthier than anything you can buy in a box:

350g Oats

50g Coconut Flakes

50g Sesame seeds

50g Mixed seeds

60g Nuts roughly chopped

100ml Olive Oil

75ml Runny Honey

1tsp Vanilla extract

200g Dried fruit

1.      Preheat oven to 130 – fan. Put the oats, coconut, seeds and nuts in a bowl and mix. In a jug mix together the oil, honey and vanilla, and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2.      Spread the mixture out on a large ovenproof tray. Bake for 40-45 mins (I think it was more like an hour or more), stirring every 10 minutes to make sure everything becomes light golden and crisp.

3.      Leave to cool then add the dry fruit and mix together. Store in an airtight container.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    Eggs for the win.

Masses of protein, no carbs and six medium eggs is around 400 cals, and they'll keep you full until lunch.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2014
    RobDavies said:
    Eggs for the win.

Masses of protein, no carbs and six medium eggs is around 400 cals, and they'll keep you full until lunch.

Are you Mr Strong?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    RobDavies said:
    Eggs for the win.

Are you Mr Strong?  ;)
    More like Mr Greedy...
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Being a bit podgy and giving myself a health scare a while back led me to review my diet ( I already thought I was eating well). So breakfast is now plain Porridge Oats made with water, (no milk). I often add fruit (raspberries ATM and grapes with the odd banana) with a honey topping and it is filling, satisfying and a great slow release food. Today I reverted to my 3 weetabix and honey as a treat. Here I am 3 hours later feeling hungry again and it had too much salt which you can't taste and don't notice. Morrisons own Porridge is £1.15 and excellent for a months breakfast.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905
    I also normally have plain porridge for breakfast, though I find it a little bland so like to liven it up a bit with a good dollop of clotted cream and a spoonful of honey.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    Two toast and 3 scramble eggs is what I just had, big mug of tea after it, I feel like having a little doze now though
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    It's not just the calories, keeping the cholesterol down is a biggie too (for me at least). It used to be Eggs were bad for that but I think recent 'scientific' fashion has reversed that.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited October 2014
    ESBlonde said:
    It's not just the calories, keeping the cholesterol down is a biggie too (for me at least). It used to be Eggs were bad for that but I think recent 'scientific' fashion has reversed that.

Nope, eggs are fine.  Though you should probably boil them not fry them if you're going to eat them often. 

"There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat. But to get the nutrients you need, make sure you eat as varied a diet as possible.

You can learn more about healthy eating in A balanced diet.

Eggs and cholesterol

Eggs contain cholesterol, and having high cholesterol levels in our blood increases our risk of heart disease.

However, the amount of saturated fat we eat has more effect on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than eating eggs does.

If your GP or health professional has told you to watch your cholesterol levels, your priority should be to cut down on saturated fat. You can get advice in Eat less saturated fat.

If you are eating a balanced diet, you only need to cut down on eggs if you have been told to do so by your GP or dietitian."

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have porridge from Pret A Manger. 250 calories and delicious. Benefit of buying breakfast is that I can eat it later (9.30 am) rather than when I leave the house, so I feel fuller longer into the day. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24721
    I went shopping for cereal yesterday and almost picked up a box of Kellogs Bran Flakes, as they appeared to be healthy...

However, on examination, it turns out that TWENTY PERCENT of the contents of the box is pure sugar.

The food labelling laws in this country are a shambles.  The food companies exploit the loopholes the government are unwilling to close to make it as confusing as possible for consumers.  One box has a different serving size to another, some use the traffic light system, others don't, etc etc.  In order to work out what you are getting you need to carry a calculator - and the government are in cahoots with the powerful lobby groups of the food industry, to the detriment of the public health.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014

Breakfast:

Plain porridge without sugar or milk = 120 calories or Two eggs fried = 129 -135 calories

Lunch (Rarely)

Snickers = 250 calories + Dr Pepper 250 calories or Water = 0

Dinner:

Frozen pizza = 400 calories

Other beverages:

Coffee and nicotine = 4 calories a cup = 24 calories

Total intake for the day = 1044.

Total calories used by working in a physically demanding job = 2000 to 3000 calories.

Daily calorie deficit = -956 to -1956 calories, perhaps partially supplemented with a few more Dr Peppers or snickers.

Yes, there is a reason you are all getting fat and I have zero bodyfat, feel like shit, feel comatose, ache and want to reassess my lifestyle.

I also can't stomach milk or most milk products, apart from chocolate of course, so that helps as well.  But this just shows you how I can eat so much chocolate and drink so much Dr Pepper and still lose weight, even if I feel like a heart attack is due.

I actually feel physically sick if I have anything more than one bowl of plain porridge or two eggs fro breakfast and can't work.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31244
    Re 6 eggs, so when was the last time you actually managed a pooh?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31244
    Sambostar said:

Breakfast:

Plain porridge without sugar or milk = 120 calories or Two eggs fried = 129 -135 calories

Lunch (Rarely)

Snickers = 250 calories + Dr Pepper 250 calories or Water = 0

Dinner:

Frozen pizza = 400 calories

Other beverages:

Coffee and nicotine = 4 calories a cup = 24 calories

Total intake for the day = 1044.

Total calories used by working in a physically demanding job = 2000 to 3000 calories.

Daily calorie deficit = -956 to -1956 calories, perhaps partially supplemented with a few more Dr Peppers or snickers.

Yes, there is a reason you are all getting fat and I have zero bodyfat, feel like shit, feel comatose, ache and want to reassess my lifestyle.

I also can't stomach milk or most milk products, apart from chocolate of course, so that helps as well.  But this just shows you how I can eat so much chocolate and drink so much Dr Pepper and still lose weight, even if I feel like a heart attack is due.

I actually feel physically sick if I have anything more than one bowl of plain porridge or two eggs fro breakfast and can't work.

1000 calories that may be but Christ that's useless calories. The amount of blood sugar spiking that will cause is off the scale. You are in taking the equivalent of 200calories of nutrition- the rest is refined sugar.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    If I cook, I have beans on toast. Usually it's just vegemite sandwiches.
    My V key is broken
  • EoT, BoT, BB & quorn burger for me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself