Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One reason why we may be getting fat (Granola- wtf?!)

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4777
    For anybody interested FAGE 0% nutritional values per 100g FAT 0g, carbs 4g, of which sugars 4g, protein 10.3g, salt 0.1g
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @menamestom, I'll look into that mate.

Am trying a severely restricted diet at the moment, so will have to seek some out and check ingredients first :-)
    ESBlonde said:
    It's not just the calories, keeping the cholesterol down is a biggie too (for me at least). It used to be Eggs were bad for that but I think recent 'scientific' fashion has reversed that.

I eat loads of eggs, probably at least 1 a day on average and my cholesterol was really low last time i had it checked. I'm a veggie though so that could be a factor.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014

Cutting out milk of any kind must help. I can't stand the stuff, but it almost doubles the calorific intake of a bowl of porridge.

Greek yogurt, Granola.  Feck me this really has turned into Mumsnet.  Just waiting for the goats's cheese next.

NOOOOOO.  It's foul.  It stinks.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31244
    edited October 2014
    Sambostar said:

Cutting out milk of any kind must help. I can't stand the stuff, but it almost doubles the calorific intake of a bowl of porridge.

Greek yogurt, Granola.  Feck me this really has turned into Mumsnet.  Just waiting for the goats's cheese next.

Milk also good for diabetics, cancer, bone strength,rehydration ......

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8161
    edited October 2014
    Fat doesn't make you fat.  Sugar makes you fat.  Low fat diets, make you fatter, as they're MUCH higher in sugar.  All the bad things you read about natural fats and butter/cream are nonsense, all based on 'research' done by the sugar companies, so you eat more sugar, and less fat.  Hydrogenated fats are still very harmful, look into good fats (oilve oil, ghee, butter, coconut oil).

Look into the Banting diet. Eat as much dairy as you like, (no semi skimmed or skimmed milk, just full fat milk an cheeses).  Eat only vegetable grown above ground. Eat meat of fish, but only one portion per day equivalent to the size of your palm (without fingers) - this is a high fat diet, not high meat diet.  Eggs are your friend, as are leafy veg.

Eat till your full.  Stop when you're full.  No calorie counting.  

No diet drinks, no sugar or honey. No processed foods. If you miss sugar, use Stevia or Zylitol.  They're all natural, they don't cause an insulin response.

Here is a list of the main points… 
    1. Banting is named after a man called William Banting in the 1860s, who lost extreme amounts of weight by cutting out carbs and eating a high fat diet. 
    2. Tim Noakes has rediscovered this way of eating and noticed that it has helped him control his blood sugar and weight. 
    3. Banting is high fat, low carb and medium protein. 
    Cutting down on carb causes the brain to start breaking down fat as an alternative energy source. This is called ketosis. 
    4. Ketosis causes loss if appetite thereby reducing energy consumption…and ultimately weight loss. 
    5. High saturated fat is likely to increase your cholesterol. However if your blood sugar control is perfect and your carb intake is low then your risk for heart disease isn’t higher.  As your body fat drops, your likelihood of suffering heart disease and strokes drops off exponentially. And, your cholesterol levels will naturally half as you drop weight.  Cholesterol is a function of fat AND sugar.
    6. This diet is not for everyone- if you are insulin resistant and if it suits you to cut out carbs and to increase your fat intake then great, if not please don’t pick and choose the principles that suit you.

This is where you can find the list of foods you can eat.  Green, eat all you want.  Orange, you can eat some, but be careful of amounts.  Red, don't touch.

They're are hindreds or recipie sites online, logs, forums etc.  where you can learn more.

Weight drop off (if you are following the guides) is gradual but persistent.  Don't expect overnight results.  Though, I lost a stone in the first month.

Marlin

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8161
    edited October 2014
    EoT, BoT, BB & quorn burger for me.

Quorn is a mould grown on a slurry of chemicals. It's not a mushroom as they used to state in the advertising (note, now labelled a 'micro protein' instead of mushroom protein)  

A lot of people have violent allergic reaction to it.  It has almost no nutritional benefit, and it's entirely artificial.  It's derive from a mould found in soil.

I've been a vegetarian for 30 years, and I wont allow that crap anywhere near the house.

Marlin
    Sambostar said:

I'm with you on the Goats Cheese, It tastses of sweaty farmyard, I'm sure it's something they find on the top of slurry or something.

Sticking up for the Greek Yoghurt though, you stick with your Yorkie, Dr Pepper and Carlsberg, it sounds like a really good diet

;) 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905
    we get goats cheese from a smallholder just up the road from us (who, coincidently keeps goats) and it tastes nothing like the garbage you buy in the supermarket. It's very smooth and creamy.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

TheMarlin said:

Look into the Banting diet.

Interesting.  I was thinking although I've come round to a similar way of thinking (natural, unprocessed foods lower in carbs and good fats) I see that carrots is amber, and I wasn't sure if I agreed with that.  But when I saw wine is green I've got to say I like this diet very much!
  • At the end of the day we just eat too much.
    Most of us could get away with 1/2 of what we eat on a daily basis without any adverse effect.

I'm lucky I can actually get away with not eating for two days without feeling hunger pangs.
    Often we think we are hungry when we actually are thirsty.
  • TheMarlin said:

Quorn is a mould grown on a slurry of chemicals. It's not a mushroom as they used to state in the advertising (note, now labelled a 'micro protein' instead of mushroom protein)  

A lot of people have violent allergic reaction to it.  It has almost no nutritional benefit, and it's entirely artificial.  It's derive from a mould found in soil.

I've been a vegetarian for 30 years, and I wont allow that crap anywhere near the house.

Marlin
    But it stops me feeling hungry, and the burgers go tolerably well with other things like BB. The chunks bulk out a curry or a stew that's also got some meat in it (not sure I'd use quorn on its own). So it has little nutritional benefit - ok, at least I'm not eating calories I don't need.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Re Greek yog, if you break a bone, eating 500ml of that every day can increase healing time by 25%. Salmon, spinach and Greek yog= quick fracture recoveries. One thing not covered here is the relative diets to body types- eg endomesomorphs (me) like high protein/ meat diets and hate carbs and sugar. Ectomorphs prefer carbs....this is a key factor not covered bY fad diet info, yet one of the key informants for athletes diet.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I've got a vitamin D deficiency at the moment (well I've had it ages, it's only just been discovered), it's killed my energy levels (I've missed a bunch of lectures too :( ) and I've got tubby from the inactivity and eating convenience food). I'm taking extra strong supplements prescribed by the doctor who looks like Benedict Cumberbatch so hopefully soon I'll be back at the gym an making healthy meals from scratch. 
    My V key is broken
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Gassage said:
    Re Greek yog, if you break a bone, eating 500ml of that every day can increase healing time by 25%. Salmon, spinach and Greek yog= quick fracture recoveries.
    That sounds impressive.  I'd love to see more detail on this.  I still do a fair bit of work in orthopaedics.  You don't happen to have a reference or two do you?
    edited October 2014
    Grunfeld said:
    Gassage said:
    Re Greek yog, if you break a bone, eating 500ml of that every day can increase healing time by 25%. Salmon, spinach and Greek yog= quick fracture recoveries.
    That sounds impressive.  I'd love to see more detail on this.  I still do a fair bit of work in orthopaedics.  You don't happen to have a reference or two do you?

@grunfeld info came from England rugby medical team. Matt Lovell, their nurtitionalist who I linked earlier in the thread points out that this diet is rich in calcium and iron...so pretty logical.

@gassage cheers
    edited October 2014
    When I broke my ulna in 4 places, Andrew Sankey, my surgeon, was determined not to plate due to a) my cricket and needing to pronate my forearm to spin a ball, and b) guitar - same reason. He went for a very aggressive plastering regime (agony) and diet, working with Phil Pask and Terry Crystal at RFU. For the pain I went through, I'd take plating every time. I did find some amazing Yoghurts at the Iranian shop in Shepherds Bush, but after 20 weeks of Greek youhurt by the barrel load you're a bit jaded with the stuff.

Gassage said:
    When I broke my ulna in 4 places, Andrew Sankey, my surgeon, was determined not to plate due to a) my cricket and needing to pronate my forearm to spin a ball, and b) guitar - same reason.  
    If you got your full range of movement back though it sounds like it was worth it.
    TheMarlin said:

Marlin

I wouldn't say it has no nutritional benefit, since it has a decent amount of protein.  With regards to the allergic reactions, I can't see that being a problem if you have no reaction.  Some people die if they eat nuts but it does not mean it's not a good food for me.

I'd say being processed you'd not want to eat too much quorn but you have to get protein from somewhere, pulses and beans etc are fine but there's only so much you can eat. 

Out of interest how come you are on a diet and need to lose weight, there must be some crap that gets into your house otherwise you would not need to be on a diet.  I'm not having a go btw, just wandering what it is that put the weight on you when you think Quorn is so bad? 

I'll read a bit more on the Quorn, we eat a fair bit and I'm not adverse to replacing it, should it be so bad.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom