Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One reason why we may be getting fat (Granola- wtf?!)

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31244
    Grunfeld said:
    Gassage said:
    When I broke my ulna in 4 places, Andrew Sankey, my surgeon, was determined not to plate due to a) my cricket and needing to pronate my forearm to spin a ball, and b) guitar - same reason.  
    If you got your full range of movement back though it sounds like it was worth it.

Ironically more than I had before due to very aggressive physio work.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    Fat doesn't make you fat.  Sugar makes you fat.  Low fat diets, make you fatter, as they're MUCH higher in sugar.  All the bad things you read about natural fats and butter/cream are nonsense, all based on 'research' done by the sugar companies, so you eat more sugar, and less fat.  Hydrogenated fats are still very harmful, look into good fats (oilve oil, ghee, butter, coconut oil).

It's actually the combination of fat and sugar that makes us eat more of both.
    There was a great program on TV resiliently. They took two twins (both happened to be doctors).
    One was on a high sugar and carb diet with very little protein and fat.
    The other on a high protein and fat with little or no sugar and carbs.
    Both hardly put on any weight but had very different characteristics when it came to overall fitness and energy levels.

In the same program they did an experiment. Take bowl full of sugar and try to eat it. You don't get very far. As your body says no.
    Take a bowl full of cream and try to eat it. Again your body quickly stops you from doing so.
    Now mix the sugar in with the cream, and you could probably gobble the lot.
    What happens is that in nature you don't actually get a mix of sugar and fat so the body has no protection mechanism to make you stop.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8161
    The bodys response to sugar is to release insulin.  if you're not mid marathon, you're unlikely to burn off all the sugar your're consuming (from say, a few pints of beer), the insulin continues to be release.  As it can't use the sugar, it stores it as fat.  That's how the body stores fat.  The body finds it much harder to store fat from food sources.

Marlin :)

TheMarlin said:
    EoT, BoT, BB & quorn burger for me.

Quorn is a mould grown on a slurry of chemicals. It's not a mushroom as they used to state in the advertising (note, now labelled a 'micro protein' instead of mushroom protein)  

A lot of people have violent allergic reaction to it.  It has almost no nutritional benefit, and it's entirely artificial.  It's derive from a mould found in soil.

I've been a vegetarian for 30 years, and I wont allow that crap anywhere near the house.

Marlin

I wouldn't say it has no nutritional benefit, since it has a decent amount of protein.  With regards to the allergic reactions, I can't see that being a problem if you have no reaction.  Some people die if they eat nuts but it does not mean it's not a good food for me.

I'd say being processed you'd not want to eat too much quorn but you have to get protein from somewhere, pulses and beans etc are fine but there's only so much you can eat. 

Out of interest how come you are on a diet and need to lose weight, there must be some crap that gets into your house otherwise you would not need to be on a diet.  I'm not having a go btw, just wandering what it is that put the weight on you when you think Quorn is so bad? 

I'll read a bit more on the Quorn, we eat a fair bit and I'm not adverse to replacing it, should it be so bad.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8161
    TheMarlin said:
    EoT, BoT, BB & quorn burger for me.

Quorn is a mould grown on a slurry of chemicals. It's not a mushroom as they used to state in the advertising (note, now labelled a 'micro protein' instead of mushroom protein)  

A lot of people have violent allergic reaction to it.  It has almost no nutritional benefit, and it's entirely artificial.  It's derive from a mould found in soil.

I've been a vegetarian for 30 years, and I wont allow that crap anywhere near the house.

Marlin

I wouldn't say it has no nutritional benefit, since it has a decent amount of protein.  With regards to the allergic reactions, I can't see that being a problem if you have no reaction.  Some people die if they eat nuts but it does not mean it's not a good food for me.

I'd say being processed you'd not want to eat too much quorn but you have to get protein from somewhere, pulses and beans etc are fine but there's only so much you can eat. 

Out of interest how come you are on a diet and need to lose weight, there must be some crap that gets into your house otherwise you would not need to be on a diet.  I'm not having a go btw, just wandering what it is that put the weight on you when you think Quorn is so bad? 

I'll read a bit more on the Quorn, we eat a fair bit and I'm not adverse to replacing it, should it be so bad.

I lost my job, got a bit down in the dumps.  Daytime TV is not only crap, it's no good for the waistline.  There is onlu so much Top Gear one man can watch.

I set my own company up, so got over it.  Now loosing the weight I put on while sat on my rear.  Wasn't much.

Marlin
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

So, here's a photo of an 'Appetizer' I ordered in Key West. I kid you not, it was listed on the menu as such.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/2014-09-28174948_zpsd2d48acd.jpg

And I only managed to eat about a quarter of it. Gave up on a main course.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Looks about the right size to me. Looks fucking awesome too. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    The thing in the background (not the Mrs.) is some kind of fish paste ball, about the size of a grapefruit which came with it.

@themarlin Re insulin, sugar, lactic acid and exercise, have you come across using Sodium Bicarbonate as a blood buffer to increase athletic endurance!? We use it in rugby although it's now held that it only works for direct bloodstream lactic build up rather than tissue lactic build up. It does give you the shits though

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4777
    TheMarlin said:

I lost my job, got a bit down in the dumps.  Daytime TV is not only crap, it's no good for the waistline.  There is onlu so much Top Gear one man can watch.

I set my own company up, so got over it.  Now loosing the weight I put on while sat on my rear.  Wasn't much.

Marlin

Good on you then, hope all goes well with the business Marlin

:)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905
    Gassage said:
    @themarlin Re insulin, sugar, lactic acid and exercise, have you come across using Sodium Bicarbonate as a blood buffer to increase athletic endurance!? We use it in rugby although it's now held that it only works for direct bloodstream lactic build up rather than tissue lactic build up. It does give you the shits though

that could be unpleasant for the second row, the front row push a bit hard and forget to squeeze.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not bothered- I am an openside flanker- my job is to pretend to push as convincingly as possible whilst the prop moans he's being stuffed cos I'm watching the half backs....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom