The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Boromedic said:
    He has tested twice I believe, Williams haven't commented on the results but, Paul Di Resta has been in the press this week so I wonder if they've had the same doubts as Renault did.
    It wouldn't surprise me. A couple of days testing is not the same as a full season with back to back races. I'd be surprised if they gave him a seat. It looks like Di Resta could be back. He's a Mercedes Motorsport Driver so that might influence the decision.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    Yeah I'm of the opinion that its a bridge too far for Kubica. Its a shame but I feel he'd be unsafe in a racing scenario. I like Paul so would be nice to see him back, I'd prefer one of the youth drivers get a chance but Williams need the support of a driver with backing.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited October 2017

If that's the case, what's with all the hype and testing business surrounding Kubica for? I mean, if he was never going to get a look in, it all seems a bit odd to me. It's almost like they're just humouring someone. Does he have a shedload of cash behind him?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27702
    I think Kubica would be a quicker choice than Massa or DiResta, but by definition he brings extra risk. As much as I'd love him to get the drive I think it's going to go to DiResta, which is the most boring decision anyone has ever made in F1
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited October 2017
    PR maybe? It gets Williams and their sponsors exposure, possibly some money backing him like you say as well. Especially now Rosberg has got involved, he was highly thought of too so maybe they feel like giving him a chance. After all the fanfare at Renault though they went awfully quiet once he tested the current car in Hungary.

edited October 2017
    I think Kubica would be a quicker choice than Massa or DiResta, but by definition he brings extra risk. As much as I'd love him to get the drive I think it's going to go to DiResta, which is the most boring decision anyone has ever made in F1
    Well drawing comparisons with his Hungary testing times (which are notoriously difficult so take this with a pinch of salt) between him and Palmer who has been considered to be a flop, Palmer would've come out on top. I don't think he would beat Massa or DiResta anymore.

Boromedic said:
    Well drawing comparisons with his Hungary testing times (which are notoriously difficult so take this with a pinch of salt) between him and Palmer who has been considered to be a flop, Palmer would've come out on top. I don't think he would beat Massa or DiResta anymore.
    Ok, I'd heard he was quick and consistent there, but if he was no better than Palmer then it's probably too big a risk. A real shame.
    Yeah he was very consistent but his times were slightly slower than Palmers. Probably a large number of mitigating circumstances than just Robert himself, however these guys spend fortunes on analytics and they decided against him and then went for Sainz. Must say something.....

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Max staying at Red Bull till 2020.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickLNickL Frets: 154
    Williams need to have one older driver because of their Martini sponsorship, with Stroll not being of legal drinking age in some countries (including his own), hence their interest in Di Resta, Kubica etc. rather than someone younger.
    Max staying at Red Bull till 2020.
    I thought he was already contracted till at least then? Maybe it was only options before, now it's firm, presumably because his recent wins have removed any outs he had for a weak RB car.
    edited October 2017
    Sainz is looking impressive already against Hulkenburg, beaten him in every session although P1 was not straightforward for Hulk. I like the Hulk but I think Sainz is a potential champion in the right car.

Ricciardo wants to partner Hamilton at Mercedes ..

I'd love that tbh

Fretwired said:
    Ricciardo wants to partner Hamilton at Mercedes ..
    When’s his contract up? Hasn’t Bottas signed with Merc for 2018?

I reckon the only one who’s as good as Hamster is Verstappen. Then we’d see a right old ding-dong.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Eh? What happened to @Fretwired ;
    Dunno. He’s been disappeared!

edited October 2017
    He's changed his own pic. I suspect hijacks rather than banishment. 

As for Ricciardo, I'd love to see him at Mercedes. 

Sainz is looking very good, but possibly because Hulk is getting grid penalties up the wazoo, so they're presumably setting him up purely for race pace rather than outright quali speed. Of course it goes without saying that if I'm wrong and Hulk is just getting whooped then that's his career over in terms of chances of a top seat.

Am I right that Sainz is only the second guy to leave the RB family but stay within F1 (other than Vettel, obviously)? 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Hilarious

Eh? What happened to @Fretwired ;
    Nothing. I was mucking around. Didn't realise it was live. I have something planned .. ;-)