The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cols said:
    Wouldn’t Ocon be more likely to wash up at Williams, with the Merc connection?
    I'd have thought so. Hamilton made a caustic comment that if he were his manager he'd help him - I wonder if Merc might help Williams some more with other tech and push for Ocon. I not sure about Kubica .. surely he'd have been snapped up by now if he were still capable.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    Cols said:
    Maybe, but apparently Kubica's contract says he has dibs on any available seat (learning from whoever it was who missed a one-off drive a couple of seasons ago - Suzie maybe?). 

Perhaps for next year I could see Williams wanting Ocon, but this is also a chance to see what RK has in him for very little cost - if he can't beat Sirotkin then it's clear and you let him go, if he does then you keep him on. 

Either way I can understand why Williams don't want to get closer to Merc because of their off-track engineering business. If your stop building your own racing cars it doesn't say much for your engineering ability.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Cols said:
    Maybe, but apparently Kubica's contract says he has dibs on any available seat (learning from whoever it was who missed a one-off drive a couple of seasons ago - Suzie maybe?). 

Perhaps for next year I could see Williams wanting Ocon, but this is also a chance to see what RK has in him for very little cost - if he can't beat Sirotkin then it's clear and you let him go, if he does then you keep him on. 

Either way I can understand why Williams don't want to get closer to Merc because of their off-track engineering business. If your stop building your own racing cars it doesn't say much for your engineering ability.
    I think the current state of Williams F1 doesn't say much for their engineering - I also think the day of the independent company is over. Claire Williams better face up to that - without improvements she'll lose the few sponsors left on board. Look at Alfa Romeo Sauber and Haas .. a tie up with Ferrari has put both teams ahead of McLaren and Williams.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Williams and Mclaren made their beds, they can lay in them.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I thought that was mostly a bit dull.  Could have done with some rain.

• ColsCols Frets: 6999
    Spa can be like that.  Fantastic circuit, but unless there’s rain (which, fortunately, there frequently is) it can be a bit predictable.
    edited August 2018
    I wonder what Ferrari has done to gain so much speed - Vettel breezed past Hamilton as if he were driving a Robin Reliant. I notice Hamilton was having a good look inside the Ferrari at the 'magic button' at the end of the race ... :-)

At least it means it's game on as opposed to yet another Mercedes walkover.

The way the Findias were in the same tow I'd say it was mostly just good slipstreaming.
    The way the Findias were in the same tow I'd say it was mostly just good slipstreaming.
    Vettel pulled out a decent gap before taking his foot off the gas. Hamilton tried to close the gap (undercut potential) but every time he pumped in a fastest lap Vettel responded. On the face of it Ferrari have a major performance advantage. If Kimi had made the second row he could have beaten Hamilton as well. Toto's face said it all ....

I love how internet commenters are still screeching that the Halo is useless on a day where Alonso's wheel literally bounced off Leclerc's halo, and just one week after yet another Indy driver almost died after hitting the fence. 

Obviously the halo is ugly as fuck but surely there's no doubt it has a significant safety benefit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It looked distinctly secondhand after the first corner.  I’m sure LeClerc is very grateful there was something solid between his head and half a ton of airborne McLaren.
    edited August 2018
    This is a good angle. The halo actually broke Alonso's suspension. That would've likely been LeClerc's head if not for the halo. Should hopefully shut the whingers up.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah - watching that clip I’m pretty sure Alonso’s wheel would’ve taken LeClerc’s head clean off if it weren’t for the halo.
    Cols said:
    Yeah - watching that clip I’m pretty sure Alonso’s wheel would’ve taken LeClerc’s head clean off if it weren’t for the halo.
    Yup. I totally understand why Brawn & Whiting have been cagey about how much impact it had until they're reviewed all the footage, but I think it's pretty clear from this. 

It's also a great angle on Riccardo losing most of his rear wing - something the commentators didn't seem to spot until the end of the race.
    Cols said:
    Yup. I totally understand why Brawn & Whiting have been cagey about how much impact it had until they're reviewed all the footage, but I think it's pretty clear from this. 

It's also a great angle on Riccardo losing most of his rear wing - something the commentators didn't seem to spot until the end of the race.
    Agree .. Halo was a life saver. F1's come a long way safety wise since the 60s and 70s.

The C4 guys spotted Ricciardo's wing removal during the numerous replays of the start during the safety car period. He doesn't get that much luck in a Red Bull.

Bottas now has four points on his licence. He was incensed by Toto's comments a race or so back about his being a 'phenomenal wing man' ... he's off the pace again.

McLaren have reportedly whittled their list of potential victims for next season down to Vandoorne, Norris, Ocon and... Perez?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11484194/sergio-perez-in-discussions-with-mclaren-about-2019-return
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22118
    Cols said:
    McLaren have reportedly whittled their list of potential victims for next season down to Vandoorne, Norris, Ocon and... Perez?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11484194/sergio-perez-in-discussions-with-mclaren-about-2019-return
    Oh well, that'd be fun :)

So on that note, here's a rarity for this season: a McLaren man in a fast reliable car that sounds fabulous. 

Rain at Monza .... :-)

Wonder if it's another get out of jail card for Hamilton ...

• Nah. He's going to pile into the back of Kimi at turn 1 on Sunday lunchtime. 

Forza Kimi!  He always seems to find a bit more pace whenever his contract’s up for renewal.