The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I was livid when Vettel cut Hamilton off, I think the outcome was more than fair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7025
    Mercedes ought to be ashamed of themselves.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    I was livid when Vettel cut Hamilton off, I think the outcome was more than fair.
    Really?  Where did you expect him to go?  It’s not like he could teleport out of the way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    Germans as a rule are very law abiding citizens....unless they are an F1 driver!

Of course when he (correctly imo) gets called out by the stewards, we get to see anger-management-issues Vettel. Does make good TV though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2919
    Im not a Vettel fan, but that seemed harsh.

Cols said:
    Um, why?
    Cols said:
    Um, why?
    For claiming a victory in an unsportsmanlike fashion.  Look at the post race footage; it’s clear that Hamilton felt deeply uncomfortable about the way in which the victory had been gained.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Um, why?
    For claiming a victory in an unsportsmanlike fashion.  Look at the post race footage; it’s clear that Hamilton felt deeply uncomfortable about the way in which the victory had been gained.
    Alternatively, LH pressured SV into making a mistake, and SV - desperate for the win - rejoined the track in an unsafe manner. He could have eased off and rejoined the track at a shallower angle without going over the kerb. But he knew he had to get the car back on to the track ASAP and use the car to baulk LH.

Once he'd done that, he could have let LH through and retaken the spot on the long fast straight. But ... red mist.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Um, why?
    Nope. Not ashamed at all! It was the stewards that made that decision not us. 
    If it was the other way round I’m sure it would have been a penalty for sure. Of coarse Ferrari never do any wrong!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22168
    edited June 2019
    Garthy said:

FIM changed Silverstone for MotoGP.
    True but it wouldn't have happened without Bernie and his ways so it's one of those fuckups a place is rather forced into. And the pits were purely an F1 thing and look shite. 

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Congrats to Hamilton & Mercedes. For once it wasn’t Ferrari’s chuckle brothers strategy, but a return of Vettel’s mental weakness when pressurised. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Oh dear #2: It seems that Ferrari didn't tell Leclerc about SV's 5s penalty until after the race, thereby stopping him from pushing to nab P2 for himself.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4840
    edited June 2019
    I'm no Vettel fan as some of you know, but I think that was harsh too. He literally had nowhere else to drive as he came off the grass, even at a shallower angle he would have understeered across Lewis. It's not the widest of race tracks after all, that being said I don't see why Mercedes should be embarassed, the stewards made the call not them, shoe on the other foot Ferrari would have lodged exactly the same complaint. I felt bad for Lewis as he just did what any racer would do in the same circumstances, including Seb. At least Seb pointed that out on the podium, so fair play to him.

Won't matter a jot for the title anyway, Ferrari being able to drive fast in a straight line is going to make fuck all difference at pretty much most of the remaining tracks where downforce and cornering speed will matter more.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    All very awkward after the race.  Bad feeling and booing is bad for the sport. This is a bad day for the stewards’ reputation.  Vettel was petulant but he had every right to be. 

If Hamilton forced the error as Mercedes claim, he should have forced a worse one. Vettel was always in front. I don’t buy Hamilton’s “if there hadn’t been a wall there I would have got past”. Coming off the back of Monaco, that’s just silly. 

Coulthard sums up my feelings exactly. There is a risk of neutering the sport with these sorts of decisions. 

@markr76 - I have appreciated your posts and your passion, but your “Ferrari can do no wrong” comment makes no sense given their penalty today. It’s a moment to celebrate privately given the controversial circumstances.  Vettel pulled out a superb quali lap and for all his pressure Hamilton couldn’t make a pass stick on track. The stewards’ decision ruined the race. An impressive and unprecedented start to the season for Mercedes, but I don’t feel you deserve this win. I say that as someone who has supported Hamilton since day one. 

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    My Ferrari can do no wrong comment was me being sarcastic. Ferrari in the past have done some seriously dodge stuff. Sometimes these things bite you in the arse. Ironically for them they seem to have cleaned their act up in recent seasons. 
    But these things happen in racing. Look at vettel running into Hamilton on purpose at Baku the other year. He got off lightly. When he should have been disqualified. He still finished ahead of Hamilton in the race. Which was just wrong if you ask me. But that’s the way it goes. 
    Stewards, referees etc in sport do make bad decisions and wrong decisions in sport from time to time.
    I’m not taking away from anything from the way Ferrari performed this weekend. I’m surprised they were not further down the road with both cars this weekend. As that’s what we were expecting.
    But if it was the other way round they certainly wouldn’t be celebrating it privately would they, and you can bet your arse they’d have been down the stewards office as quick as a flash after the incident. Any of the teams would.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Garthy said:

FIM changed Silverstone for MotoGP.
    True but it wouldn't have happened without Bernie and his ways so it's one of those fuckups a place is rather forced into. And the pits were purely an F1 thing and look shite. 
    Nope, the new track was purely at FIM's insistence, nothing to do with Bernie at all. It would have had better groundworks had the FIA been involved (which is why it has to be resurfaced three times in five years).
    markr76 said:
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Um, why?
    Yes, ultimately the stewards made the decision; however, Mercedes raised the complaint to them in the first place, at Hamilton’s bidding.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    markr76 said:
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Um, why?
    Yes, ultimately the stewards made the decision; however, Mercedes raised the complaint to them in the first place, at Hamilton’s bidding.

C’mon Col, there’s not a driver or team on the grid who wouldn’t have done the same! 
    Cols said:
    markr76 said:
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Um, why?

C’mon Col, there’s not a driver or team on the grid who wouldn’t have done the same! 
    Depressingly true.  I would be just as dismayed had Ferrari won using similar tactics.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27106
    Just another example of the stewards getting it hopelessly wrong. 

Vettel should have been DQ-ed in Baku in 2017, Max should've had a bigger penalty in Monaco for the unsafe release & driving into Bottas, Seb shouldn't have had this time penalty - maybe just points on the licence. 

It's not team-specific.. I'm not a particular fan of Ferrari or Merc but want to see good racing and deserving winners. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires