The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    I'd be amazed if we got 18 races this season. No chance IMO. 

It could be done - scrap the mid season break and go to mid-December.
    That's assuming things will be vaguely back to normal by June though. I'm not so sure! 

Agreed, but the FIA needs a plan. If the season is cancelled teams/tracks will go bust.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Member of Pirelli tests positive for the virus - as much as I wanted to see a good season, I think they made the right choice.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.pirelli-f1-team-member-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.4SbeLykYl7zLQM0bmEpxOV.html
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4121
    edited March 2020
    The quality of that game looks amazing! I haven't really been into the whole gaming thing since the days of GTR and GT Legends on the PC over a decade ago. Seeing that footage I might have to get back into it if I get quarantined for 14 days!!

Is that just the official F1 game they're playing, or something more fancy? Anyone know if you can play to reasonable standard using just a PS4 controller, or do you need a wheel and pedals to really play it properly?

The quality of that game looks amazing! I haven't really been into the whole gaming thing since the days of GTR and GT Legends on the PC over a decade ago. Seeing that footage I might have to get back into it if I get quarantined for 14 days!!

Is that just the official F1 game they're playing, or something more fancy? Anyone know if you can play to reasonable standard using just a PS4 controller, or do you need a wheel and pedals to really play it properly?

That was just F1 2019, apparently. Not sure if on PC or PS4 Pro or whatever, but I agree it looks great. I haven't played any serious racers since at GT5 which always looked a bit sterile. I don't think I've played an F1 game since about 1999! 
  • The quality of that game looks amazing! I haven't really been into the whole gaming thing since the days of GTR and GT Legends on the PC over a decade ago. Seeing that footage I might have to get back into it if I get quarantined for 14 days!!

I had a demo of F1 2018 on Xbox and it was virtually impossible to play with a controller unless you turned all the driving aids on. I'd say to get the full experience you really need a wheel and pedals
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Given he was looking forward to holding court with the media again with the start of the F1 season, Helmut Marko is now having to work a bit harder to find ways to be a terrible human being.

Marko: Others wanted to race but had no engines

https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-coronavirus-red-bull-4/

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026

Ive played racing games with both controllers and wheel/pedal setups.  Lap-times with even an average wheel where 2-3 seconds per lap quicker.  It just gives you so much more feel and control. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4264
    Thrustmaster Wheel snd Pedal setup and you are golden :)
    Monaco’s cancelled.
    And the 2021 regs are pushed to 2022
    Thats interesting, whats the rational behind that decision.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5111

Presumably the teams can't do the necessary R&D if their offices are closed and they're rejigging their schedules to cope with whatever this season morphs into.
    prowla said:

First world problem, I know, but not holding out much hope of getting a rebate from Sky for my F1 channel subscription if some races get cancelled. 

I'd been debating subscribing to Sky Sports, but didn't on the basis that it works out at about £10 per race; this makes it even less attractive.

Seems like my choice panned out, albeit for the wrong reasons...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Interesting rumours that Wolff has quit Mercedes. He didn't take part in the telephone conference between team principals (unlike him) and he has been spending time since Oz with Lance Stroll. Rumour has it he could become MD of Aston Martin (car company not the F1 team).

And Renault to quit F1?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    prowla said:

Presumably the teams can't do the necessary R&D if their offices are closed and they're rejigging their schedules to cope with whatever this season morphs into.
    That and that this year’s cars have already cost a fortune and will get race half a season at best. 

I think we’re likely to have either a super season that runs about 30 races with this year’s cars, or a full cancellation of 2020 and basically just shift the whole season to 2021, depending on how long all this corona shit takes to die down (no pun or offence intended!)
    prowla said:

That and that this year’s cars have already cost a fortune and will get race half a season at best. 

I think we’re likely to have either a super season that runs about 30 races with this year’s cars, or a full cancellation of 2020 and basically just shift the whole season to 2021, depending on how long all this corona shit takes to die down (no pun or offence intended!)
    With the increasing cancellations a super season running across this year and next sounds sensible.  Going to bugger up my office fantasy formula 1 spreadsheet though.

Well, BoJo is using the word "if" in association with "12 weeks", but the whole strategy is to flatten the curve and extend the timescale, so I don't reckon it'll all be done and dusted for a heck of a lot longer.
    prowla said:
    Well, BoJo is using the word "if" in association with "12 weeks", but the whole strategy is to flatten the curve and extend the timescale, so I don't reckon it'll all be done and dusted for a heck of a lot longer.
    12 weeks is clearly a pipedream. Might be achievable with a full China-style lockdown but Brits aren't going to put up with that.

But F1 is a global concern, so COVID needs to be sorted everywhere before the racing circus can realistically get back on the road, so to speak. That's probably 6 months away.
    Fretwired said:
    Interesting rumours that Wolff has quit Mercedes. He didn't take part in the telephone conference between team principals (unlike him) and he has been spending time since Oz with Lance Stroll. Rumour has it he could become MD of Aston Martin (car company not the F1 team).

And Renault to quit F1?
    Renault could make a clean exit after this year.  With McLaren switching to Merc engines from 2021 and no Concorde Agreement signed, Renault’s only obligations are to their own team.