The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    edited May 2020
    Its difficult to see what Merc gain by having Vettel.  They currently have a Number 1 and 2 who are comfortable with each other.  They won't want to get rid of Hamilton (unless he has indicted he's jumping ship) and Vettel will not want to be a No 2 (though thats all he is worth at this stage in his career).  It just antagonises Hamilton and actually brings nothing new to the team.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Vettel has a net worth worth of $120M. But it’s about money in as much as Ferrari didn’t want to pay him what he thought he was worth.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Its difficult to see what Merc gain by having Vettel.  They currently have a Number 1 and 2 who are comfortable with each other.  They won't want to get rid of Hamilton (unless he has indicted he's jumping ship) and Vettel will not want to be a No 2 (though thats all he is worth at this stage in his career).  It just antagonises Hamilton and actually brings nothing new to the team.

The rumour came from comments made by Wolff - he has always admired Vettel. However I think Vettel would destabilise the team so I doubt it will happen. However, I wonder if Bottas might be shown the door. If Saintz moves to Ferrari they will have a strong driver line-up. Without various driver cock-ups Ferrari could have won a championship in the past few years. If Ferrari can stop making mistakes they may give Merc a close run. The Danny Ric to Merc bandwagon is starting to roll.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    edited May 2020
    Fretwired said:

The rumour came from comments made by Wolff - he has always admired Vettel. However I think Vettel would destabilise the team so I doubt it will happen. However, I wonder if Bottas might be shown the door. If Saintz moves to Ferrari they will have a strong driver line-up. Without various driver cock-ups Ferrari could have won a championship in the past few years. If Ferrari can stop making mistakes they may give Merc a close run. The Danny Ric to Merc bandwagon is starting to roll.
    I would actually pay to see that. In fact any podium-capable car would be fine, and DR at Merc instead of Ferrari would be awesome, especially if Sainz goes to Ferrari. Tho Russell is still a Mercedes junior and demon-fast racer, so anyone but him has to come with a pinch of salt at this point.

Bottas could fit at Renault. I'm not sure McLaren would want him, but also not sure who besides Ricciardo or Seb they might go for if Sainz left. 

It's good this - almost makes up for no racing! D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Vettel has a net worth worth of $120M. But it’s about money in as much as Ferrari didn’t want to pay him what he thought he was worth.
    Not according to Brundle - Vet wanted a 3 year deal and No1 status and Ferrari wouldn't give that.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

edited May 2020
    Sainz to Ferrari

Ric to McLaren

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52627900?at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=14EDD078-952E-11EA-9225-0DB3FCA12A29&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_custom3=BBC+Sport&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_campaign=64

Can't see Vet going to Renault unless the pay is MASSIVE.
    Can't see Ham agreeing to Vet at Merc.

I think Vet will retire now.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I can't see Vettel carrying on if he can't win. He's a chilled guy who enjoys family life and rebuilding old motorbikes. I think he'll be ok with retirement. I hope he pops up on TV a bit though, I like him. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, I can't see Vettel carrying on if he can't win. He's a chilled guy who enjoys family life and rebuilding old motorbikes. I think he'll be ok with retirement. I hope he pops up on TV a bit though, I like him. 

What about the electric series? It's being shown live on free-to-air channels like the BBC all over Europe next season. Vettel would be a big draw for a team like Mercedes run by Wolff's wife. A four-time F1 champion - he'd pull in new viewers.

Fretwired said:

What about the electric series? It's being shown live on free-to-air channels like the BBC all over Europe next season. Vettel would be a big draw for a team like Mercedes run by Wolff's wife. A four-time F1 champion - he'd pull in new viewers.
    I would be very surprised if they don’t ask him. I would be equally surprised if he said yes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well there you go - Wolff is apparently talking to Vettel  (F1 gossip that was right about Saintz) about joining Mercedes. Could be to put pressure on Hamilton to sign but the Hamilton/Vettel line-up might appeal to Wolff.

Wolff's comments ..

• ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Suspect that’s more to put salary pressure on Hamilton.  Rumour has it that Lewis is seeking a 3 year deal on $60 million per year, which seems astronomical during what’s bound to be a deep global recession.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4121
    edited May 2020
    Fretwired said:
    Well there you go - Wolff is apparently talking to Vettel  (F1 gossip that was right about Saintz) about joining Mercedes. Could be to put pressure on Hamilton to sign but the Hamilton/Vettel line-up might appeal to Wolff.

Wolff's comments ..

Would it though? Wolff's always struck me as someone who likes a stable ship. He never seemed comfortable with Ham/Ros rivalry causing occasional fireworks, and they were lifelong friends.

I can't see Hamilton and Vettel getting on too harmoniously, whereas the current set up with Hamilton and Bottas is a perfectly steady ship.

Though the lure of a German star driver in a German car might be too hard to resist... 
    I don't think Hamilton would be afraid. He beat Alonso and he beat Button and he beat Rosberg at various points. If he beats Vettel as well he'll have beaten every WC teammate available, except Kimi.

I also agree Wolff wouldn't actually want to manage Ham and Seb so is just posturing this as a negotiation move. Clearly they now have another great third option, which is negotiation 101. But I'd love to see it happen.
    Hamilton certainly wouldn’t be afraid of Vettel in the same team, nor Vettel of Hamilton.  

Having said that, they would both be happier with a compliant #2 teammate who would be quick enough to provide useful backup but not so quick as to consistently mount a challenge.

For Hamilton in particular, he actually seems to drive better when he’s not really challenged within the team.  Compared to his unsettled times with Button or Rosberg as a challenging teammate, his driving over the past few years with Bottas as a steady #2 has been on a different level.  And Vettel certainly didn’t enjoy having an ambitious young charger like LeClerc in 2019 after years of having Kimi as a known quantity in the other car.

Frankly I can’t see Wolff wanting to destabilise either driver by having both of them in the team.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    McLaren have announced Ricciardo 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    McLaren have announced Ricciardo 
    Fuck yes  

And an extension for Lando. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    Aaaand Sainz confirmed at Ferrari. Really pleased for him and I always thought he deserved a proper top drive. Only fractionally slower than Max but doesn't drive into people. Seems a top bloke as well.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-announces-sainz-vettel-replacement-2021/4792078/ 

So who goes to Renault?
    • Vettel (Merc or retirement more likely)
    • Bottas (if Seb goes to Merc)
    • Alonso (because Enstone)
    • a rookie?
    • someone else? 
    I'd love to see Vet or even Alonso at Merc.

I don't want the very best car with a predetermined No2.

I want Senna / Prost at McLaren.

Delighted for Sainz; given that he matched Verstappen in Toro Rosso I thought it was unfortunate that they didn’t give him a chance in the top team.