The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Pleased for Sainz. Quick, super-consistent, seems like a nice bloke from what I've seen on that Netflix docuseries. Will be interesting to see how close he can push Leclerc.

I first got into motorsport as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s, and Sainz Snr was always my favourite rally driver, back in the days when the BBC would have the old 'Lombard RAC Rally' on the telly each year. Happy memories...

Ricciardo/Norris looks a cracking driver line-up for McLaren, hope they can give them a quick enough car to challenge for podiums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5112
    Yeah, I can't see Vettel carrying on if he can't win. He's a chilled guy who enjoys family life and rebuilding old motorbikes. I think he'll be ok with retirement. I hope he pops up on TV a bit though, I like him. 

I do too - his interviews were always pretty frank and he'd happily say what he felt like whilst in the car.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Aaaand Sainz confirmed at Ferrari. Really pleased for him and I always thought he deserved a proper top drive. Only fractionally slower than Max but doesn't drive into people. Seems a top bloke as well.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-announces-sainz-vettel-replacement-2021/4792078/ 

So who goes to Renault?
    • Vettel (Merc or retirement more likely)
    • Bottas (if Seb goes to Merc)
    • Alonso (because Enstone)
    • a rookie?
    • someone else? 
    Dunno but I can’t see Alonso being tempted back by another second rate drive, will Renault be competitive enough by next season? 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Probably not; teams will need to use their 2020 chassis in 2021, and Renault didn’t look blisteringly fast in preseason testing.
  • I think there's more chance of Renault bailing on F1 altogether than re-signing Alonso. From next year they're losing another engine customer with McLaren switching to Merc engines so a loss of income there. Then factor in the massive financial hit to the parent company from a massive global recession/depression and the collapse in demand for new cars, the business case for funding a full works F1 team may no longer be there sadly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Carlos Sainz’s ‘Thank you’ video message to McLaren, great example on how to avoid burning your bridges behind you.

https://youtu.be/GvJEmnHnG1U 

• ^^^Woe, touch of genuine class that.  :)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1580
    Carlos is such a nice guy, that was class.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Brilliant. Genuinely pleased for the guy to get this opportunity, he came across great in the Netflix show and that video message is perfect. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited May 2020
    My money's on Alonso going to Renault. Dunno why, but stranger things have happened.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    My money's on Alonso going to Renault. Dunno why, but stranger things have happened.
    Yeah, I suspect he might. I don't think they'll want Hulk again, I don't think Vettel will want them, and Alonso obviously wants back into the sport. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    edited May 2020
    Just watched the Sainz video. What a fantastic gesture. I like him even more now. 

I'm gonna have to get both Ferrari #55 and Mclaren #3 hats next year
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    Just watched the Sainz video. What a fantastic gesture. I like him even more now. 

I'm gonna have to get both Ferrari #55 and Mclaren #3 hats next year

Me too. He's a class act. Top bloke. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4405
    Cols said:
    Carlos Sainz’s ‘Thank you’ video message to McLaren, great example on how to avoid burning your bridges behind you.

https://youtu.be/GvJEmnHnG1U 

Proper. Top bloke!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Alonso has signed for Renault. Got next weekend's lottery numbers?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1490
    Fretwired said:

Where is this published?
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4405
    Dodge said:
    Fretwired said:

Where is this published?

That's what I was going to ask. All I can find is lots of speculation, no actual announcement yet...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Haven’t seen this officially announced yet anywhere.

Rumour has it that Liberty are willing to subsidise Alonso’s wages at Renault.  This would be money well spent; the drop in F1 share price following Vettel’s announcement last week and the subsequent Sainz/Ricciardo news equated to a loss of £90 million to the business.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5112
    I don't understand the logic of Alonso going to Renault.

He's not particularly renowned as being a contributor to the development of a team.

They're not going to give him a platform to win races.

It seems like a lose/lose situation.
    For Renault: 

1.  PR value.
    2.  A driver who is _always_ quick.  I can’t remember seeing a race weekend where Alonso just phoned it in.

For Alonso:

1.  Not sure.