The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    Cols said:
    125 laps were deleted in Friday practice for exceeding track limits.

In advance of qualifying, track authorities are digging up the runoff areas on the outside of turns 1, 4 and 15 and replacing them with deep crocodile-filled pits.
    I think the FIA are having a look at the definition of the track limits and maybe relaxing them a little for today. I think slot of the teams were complaining to them after practices yesterday. 
    If they do relax them or not though I don’t know. 

I do know that comments we got back at work from both drivers is that this track is one of the best they’ve ever driven an f1 car round!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    125 laps were deleted in Friday practice for exceeding track limits.

In advance of qualifying, track authorities are digging up the runoff areas on the outside of turns 1, 4 and 15 and replacing them with deep crocodile-filled pits.
    Just watching the the Sky P3 coverage. Ant Davidson half-jokingly made the suggestion that the FIA should have a remote link to the cars' ECUs, so if they exceed track limits they can automatically give a temporary power limit to the engine for 2-3 secs. Instant punishment!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Circuit looks great.  Hopefully it’s not just a one-off appearance on the calendar.

Verstappen and Stroll have just taken each other out in FP2, the stewards will want a word.

Verstappen's fault ... red mist time ..
    And he called Stroll a "mongol" and refuses to apologise.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Circuit looks great.  Hopefully it’s not just a one-off appearance on the calendar.

Verstappen and Stroll have just taken each other out in FP2, the stewards will want a word.

What? Didn't read that .. he should be forced to apologise. No excuse for comments like.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Looks like this weekend will be boring .. difficult to overtake. That said rain is forecast for Sunday. They won't know until this evening if the race will be affected.

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

What? Didn't read that .. he should be forced to apologise. No excuse for comments like.
    It's on the footage - although now bleeped. It's still out there if you look.

I'm surprised the in-car was released at all TBH. Although at least this way we all get to know how much of an arsehole he is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Looks like this weekend will be boring .. difficult to overtake. That said rain is forecast for Sunday. They won't know until this evening if the race will be affected.
    FP3 just got red-flagged due a loose drain cover. If that happens in the race it could spice things up, but maybe not in a good way!

It's a shame the first corner isn't a bit tighter. The braking area after that DRS zone isn't gonna be long enough unless you're either massively faster (or massively braver) than the guy in front.
    Interesting interview with Horner on Sky. Red Bull is only looking at using the Honda engine - Horner claims Renault doesn't want to supply them and it wouldn't work for RB. He also said F1 needs another engine manufacturer - that could be Red Bull.

Looks like Albon's time is running out. It has a couple of races to keep his seat - Horner confirmed they would do a Webber and look outside the Red Bull driver program. They need a driver who can support Max.

• You've got to hand it to Lewis, incredible how consistently he manages how to pull something out of the bag at the death, time and time again. Bottas must be sick as a dog.
    You've got to hand it to Lewis, incredible how consistently he manages how to pull something out of the bag at the death, time and time again. Bottas must be sick as a dog.

Smart move to do two timed laps at the end. Ham's tyres were better prepared for his final lap.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    You've got to hand it to Lewis, incredible how consistently he manages how to pull something out of the bag at the death, time and time again. Bottas must be sick as a dog.
    Yep. He's had great cars but a lesser driver wouldn't be so consistent at finding that extra 0.1s
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Yep - 0.1s over Bottas is no mean feat. 
    Who does the best radio coverage?

I have to work tomorrow and although I could get it on my PC I'd never get my work done if I was watching.
    Radio I can cope with!

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    Who does the best radio coverage?

I have to work tomorrow and although I could get it on my PC I'd never get my work done if I was watching.
    Radio I can cope with!
    Try to tune into LeClerc's Ferrari - he was complaining today he was getting Hamilton's radio messages!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Beeb's Radio 5 Live Sports Extra should fit the bill  =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Beeb's Radio 5 Live Sports Extra should fit the bill  =) 
    I've never listened to F1 there, but listen to football all the time.  They do a very good job of it.  That's where I'd go if I wanted to listen to F1.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Max Verstappen Radio all the way.

No, wait, Red Bull has just pulled him up on his indiscretions.

I missed the beginning but since about lap 20 this has been pretty ok.

Seems to be a track with enough different viable lines that you can chase and overtake back and forth for a few corners. More please!

I'm not a fan of these wide helicopter shots though - you just lose all sense of speed as the car stays static in the frame.
  • The first few laps where frantic. Its been good race so far.  At this point I suspect only a mechanical failure will take it away from Lewis.  

Yeah, i'll have to catch up with the early highlights on youtube.

It almost feels like a club circuit compared to most of the modern Tilkedrome venues. I'd love to have more circuits like this on the calendar on a regular basis. It'd be great to see a few calendar slots for wildcards and 2- or 3-year rotations to give more variety - I have a feeling Liberty will realise that after this year.