The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• I recon they are just arguing over the size of the motorhome that Roscoe gets.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24510
    I reckon Ham will get a 1+2 (optional on both sides) with lower salary but huge bonuses for winning. 

I reckon you are right.
    Then he'll have a proper look at the development of the 2022 Rule car and decide whether he wants to stay for the new era and risk not winning for his last season.

Eitherway I reckon Russell will be in the Merc in 2022. Either next to LH for 1 year or next to Bottas. Got to be some stability for the new kid.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited January 2021
    Assuming Hamster gets a drive this year, then I'd agree with that.

I also think Bottas' days are numbered.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    Assuming Hamster gets a drive this year, then I'd agree with that.

I also think Bottas' days are numbered.

Bottas is a near-perfect sidekick to Hamilton; good enough to win races, but not cause team ructions.

He was also on the receiving end of a lot of bad luck last season.

His only flaw, IMHO, is that he struggles with getting into a position to overtake; however, it may be a feature of the car, as Hamilton has also complained about that.
    His other flaw is he's usually down on race pace. Or is that the same thing?

• Bit of preseason distraction fun...

https://amp.formula1.com/en/latest/article.quiz-name-the-grand-prix-driver-from-the-teams-they-raced-for-in-f1.4Ui3TTaNwxs7D3tXgHyAMF.html

I got a pretty dismal 10/16. Some of the ones I got wrong I really shouldn't have!!  :3
  • Nice one -  a couple I had no idea on and managed to even get a couple wrong on top due to wrong spelling lol.

A cool picture of every WDC from 1950-2020 vIa Reddit - had to downsize for here but you can get the hi res picture below : 

https://i.redd.it/rb60h0271c361.jpg

• ColsCols Frets: 7082
    Bit of preseason distraction fun...

https://amp.formula1.com/en/latest/article.quiz-name-the-grand-prix-driver-from-the-teams-they-raced-for-in-f1.4Ui3TTaNwxs7D3tXgHyAMF.html

I got a pretty dismal 10/16. Some of the ones I got wrong I really shouldn't have!!  :3
    15/16.  I need to get out more...
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    Hamilton signed a 1 year contract with Merc.

One year only?  How do we read that one?
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3863
    edited February 2021
    Cols said:
    One year only?  How do we read that one?
    He wants one year to have a shot at beating Schumi's record outright, and then retire/move on from F1. My guess is the delay has been Mercedes trying to tie him down for a longer deal, and him resisting. Ultimately Mercedes had to cave as they need someone confirmed in the car ASAP. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27158
    edited February 2021
    Yep, he wants to be The Greatest then take a call based on how the 2022 car is looking and how he feels after (hopefully #8)

I wouldn’t blame him for wanting to retire at the top after an 8th title. The haters will always say he’s scared of Max but you have to retire sometime.

I note they’re also talking about more institutional charitable foundation stuff - I’m guessing that’s a big focus for Lewis as it’s what he’s going to be doing next
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited February 2021
    I think the delay was Merc not wanting to accede to his demands rather than them begging him to sign for longer. And since we all know who will be in his car in 2022, he's going to have to make a choice. I think he'll retire from F1 and move into a more diverse arena.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    Who's going to be in his car in 2022?
  • prowla said:
    Who's going to be in his car in 2022?
    Is love to see Russell in a Merc again. I guess the question is whether Bottas does enough this year to justify his seat in 2022. Russell might end up in Bottas' seat with a more experienced driver taking Hamilton's?
    Looks like a deal in which both sides end up reasonably happy.  Hamilton keeps his big salary for another year and gets some advertising space on his helmet and overalls.  Merc keep their star driver without getting tied into an expensive three year deal at top dollar.

There’s no mention of the role in senior management which Hamilton was reportedly seeking, so I’m assuming that fell by the wayside.

With only a one year deal, I guess the team mate veto doesn’t come into play either.  I honestly don’t think Hamilton would be worried about beating any of the drivers on the grid, but if given the choice any driver would prefer a team mate who’s quick enough to be useful but not so quick that the team has any doubt who they should throw their weight behind.

Wolff seems to prefer having a clear lead driver as well; he’s had plenty of opportunity to grab the likes of Alonso, Ricciardo or Vettel, but seems happy with Bottas for now.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1309
    Teammate veto really does speak volumes about the nature of the sport.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    sinbaadi said:
    Teammate veto really does speak volumes about the nature of the sport.

According to Wolff that was bullshit. From a Sky interview:

Despite all manner of speculation in recent weeks about supposed aspects of the contract negotiations, Wolff insisted "the money topic wasn't the sticking point" and that ultimately "it was more about 'let us get going quickly for 2021'".

The Mercedes team principal also rubbished suggestions Hamilton had asked for a so-called 'Verstappen clause' - an effective veto on future team-mates beyond 2021.

"Daimler and Mercedes are in a huge transformation towards electric mobility and that means investment, So we are living in a financial reality different from what it was a few years ago.

"But having said that, we are totally in line, Lewis and me, the wider group and Mercedes, about the situation. So there was never any discrepancy in opinion."

Is Daimler about to pull out of F1 in 2021, but remain as an engine manufacturer?

Interestingly in another interview, Hamilton said he'd love to drive in Formula E.

Read the full interview:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Yeah, I think Ham is looking at legacy far more above money at this point in his career, and that shit's complicated. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27158
    edited February 2021
    In other news, is anyone doing the office Fantasy F1? Might be fun to have a Fretboard league, assuming that's possible?

https://fantasy.formula1.com