The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    Cols said:

Hang on, in the drivers meeting they were told it was banned in quali, but OK for the race. Ham and Bot were going off track all the time, Max wasn't. But as soon as he did, FIA got shitty, and told them to stop it.

That's what I was banging on about, not the 'lasting advantage' stuff.
    Race Director Michael Masi on how to square that particular circle:

“If an overtake takes place with a car off track and gains an advantage, a lasting advantage, I will go on the radio and suggest to the team that they immediately relinquish that position, and that was made very clear.”

“It wasn’t for exceeding track limits – it was for gaining a lasting advantage by overtaking another car off the race track.”
    I'm *almost* ok with that. Overtaking off-track was outlawed in the drivers' briefing and Max was the only one to do it so there's no inconsistency apparent. 

Where the problem comes for me is allowed multiple drivers to go wide at T4 while lapping on their own for half the race (again, as agreed during the DB), then deciding that's not ok part-way through the race, which is a load of bollocks. 

I assume they will clear it up again before next race, but it's Imola where you're fucked if you go off, so it's pretty moot.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2780
    I thought young Mr Monger was very good on commentary
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7082
    Going off track while trying to overtake is terrible behaviour, and should definitely be stamped out.

https://youtu.be/ii6H0MktrOg 

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Cols said:

Hang on, in the drivers meeting they were told it was banned in quali, but OK for the race. Ham and Bot were going off track all the time, Max wasn't. But as soon as he did, FIA got shitty, and told them to stop it.

“If an overtake takes place with a car off track and gains an advantage, a lasting advantage, I will go on the radio and suggest to the team that they immediately relinquish that position, and that was made very clear.”

“It wasn’t for exceeding track limits – it was for gaining a lasting advantage by overtaking another car off the race track.”
    I'm *almost* ok with that. Overtaking off-track was outlawed in the drivers' briefing and Max was the only one to do it so there's no inconsistency apparent. 

Where the problem comes for me is allowed multiple drivers to go wide at T4 while lapping on their own for half the race (again, as agreed during the DB), then deciding that's not ok part-way through the race, which is a load of bollocks. 

I assume they will clear it up again before next race, but it's Imola where you're fucked if you go off, so it's pretty moot.
    Thats the thing, if a driver has gone off limits for several laps and that has aided him to get up the field, or close enough to overtake or whatever, then surely thats also a lasting advantage..
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Cols said:
    Going off track while trying to overtake is terrible behaviour, and should definitely be stamped out.

https://youtu.be/ii6H0MktrOg 

Fantastic racing and proves my point - the only time either goes off the track it’s Arnoux and there’s no grip out there so he loses the place he gained anyway. 

I’d welcome slippery bits just outside the curbs and no penalties - if you can make it work you’re welcome to go out there but 99% of the time it’ll be slower anyway
    I met Arnoux a few years ago; charming guy and happy to chat.  He was full of great stories and clearly loved talking about that duel; he wasn’t one bit worried about having an accident as he trusted Gilles completely.

Niki Lauda wasn’t impressed though; he sought Arnoux out after the race and said “You two were driving like a pair of assholes!”
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Cols said:

You’ve also missed my point. If a car leaves the track limit, (and I’m talking about Ham and Bot doing it on a regular basis earlier on in the race, NOT the Max overtake incident), the pair of them MUST have been gaining an advantage, or they wouldn’t have done it.

The FIA cocked up royally, and they’re firing off chaff by focussing on the Max overtake.

Didn’t miss the point at all; those were Masi’s words, not mine.

I believe Hamilton and Bottas had both been told that, if they continued taking the piss with a wide line out of Turn 4, they would be getting a black and white flag for unsportsmanlike behaviour.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

The FIA cocked up royally, and they’re firing off chaff by focussing on the Max overtake.
    I don't understand your comment. I posted the official statement from the stewards above which makes sense - Max's infringement had nothing to do with track limits so chaff firing is irrelevant.  The data shows that Hamilton didn't gain a time advantage - I suspect he did it to protect his tyres. He also wasn't the only driver taking that line.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Cols said:
    I met Arnoux a few years ago; charming guy and happy to chat.  He was full of great stories and clearly loved talking about that duel; he wasn’t one bit worried about having an accident as he trusted Gilles completely.

Niki Lauda wasn’t impressed though; he sought Arnoux out after the race and said “You two were driving like a pair of assholes!”
    Yeah, my Dad & I bumped into him and had a handshake at Goodwood a few year back. Seemed a lovely guy. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    sev112 said:
    Yes indeed, DC’s input was a bit superfluous. He’s getting a bit predictable with his comments anyway “car fat with fuel” etc etc.  I didn’t like the new lead guy much. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    boogieman said:
    sev112 said:
    Yes indeed, DC’s input was a bit superfluous. He’s getting a bit predictable with his comments anyway “car fat with fuel” etc etc.  I didn’t like the new lead guy much. 

My "obviously"-o-meter was working overtime, though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10317

Alternative way to watch for those who don't fancy sitting through the whole race.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, another day, another morning practice session, another TWO embarrassing spins for Mazespin!

So far it's looking like another Max Vs The Mercs story up front, unsurprisingly.
    Couldn’t fit a cigarette paper between Bottas, Verstappen and Hamilton.  Gasly’s looking murderously fast as well.

Hopefully Mazepin Sr is kicking in enough sponsorship to cover the weekly repair bill.
    Vettel nearly half a second off Stroll, and Aston Martin have signed Hulkenberg as their reserve. Seb must be looking over his shoulder.
  • Wow, great qualifying. Some really interesting results.

No surprise to see Lewis nailing it, but Perez beating Max, Bottas down in P8, Norris a wheel's width away from hitting the front rows, Gasly flying, Sainz out in Q2, Alonso outqualified by Ocon. 

Could have the makings of a good race with Hamilton not having a wing-man to protect him.
    Fantastic session. Gutted for both Norris and Russell. Bodes very well for tomorrow :) 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1872
    Great stat:
    Grosjean spent more seconds in a burning car then Mazepin has spent F1 racing.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When was the last time Verstappen was outqualified by a teammate fair and square?  It’s got to be back in Ricciardo days, right?