The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    It’s always good to see Sir Lewis earn his pay. If he’s actually getting much this year???

I think Botas is very safe, as long as Mercedes stay at the top of the constructors. If they slip he might find Russell’s boots in his locker. I know he screwed up but he is fast and he won’t be doing that again.  

As for Lewis being the Greatest of ALL time, I don’t know. I don’t even know if it’s possible to ever say. He’s definitely the greatest of his time though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7143
    Russell’s calmed down and apologised to Bottas for the incident.

Apparently the Mercs had trouble getting temperature into their tyres all weekend.  Hamilton could manage it running hard at the front, but Bottas was effectively doomed ftom Saturday afternoon, with his poor qualifying meaning he was stuck running at the pace of those around him and unable to generate enough load to work the tyres properly.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1323
    It was a racing incident but just to be clear, racing line or not, you can't move across on a straight if there is a car alongside.  Imola's straight isn't very straight though! 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4908
    dazzajl said:
    It’s always good to see Sir Lewis earn his pay. If he’s actually getting much this year???

I think Botas is very safe, as long as Mercedes stay at the top of the constructors. If they slip he might find Russell’s boots in his locker. I know he screwed up but he is fast and he won’t be doing that again.  

As for Lewis being the Greatest of ALL time, I don’t know. I don’t even know if it’s possible to ever say. He’s definitely the greatest of his time though. 
    Can we fall out over this as well as pick guards on Les Pauls??!! :) 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12448
    Cols said:

Apparently the Mercs had trouble getting temperature into their tyres all weekend.  Hamilton could manage it running hard at the front, but Bottas was effectively doomed ftom Saturday afternoon, with his poor qualifying meaning he was stuck running at the pace of those around him and unable to generate enough load to work the tyres properly.
    That prompts a question. If Bottas had had a decent quali then he could’ve been near the front and driven hard enough to make the tyres work. Why was his quali so bad? I can understand that he’s not the bravest at overtakes during the race and loses places that way but there’s no excuses during quali. I think he’s doomed as a Merc driver. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    I think he’d have to pull a truly amazing season out of his hat to keep the drive next year. Amazing in a way that’s beyond anything we’ve seen from him before. It’s sad to see someone be an ‘almost good enough’ in F1. The reality is that they’d be stood at the top of any other track formula. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited April 2021
    I'm changing one of my other Fantasy F1 drivers for Bottas. I'm basing my decision on the fact that things could only get better.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27304
    I'm changing one of my other Fantasy F1 drivers for Bottas. I'm basing my decision on the fact that things could only get better.
    I haven't checked but assume he's got cheaper! Which reminds me, I need to update the other thread
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ColsCols Frets: 7143
    boogieman said:
    Cols said:

That prompts a question. If Bottas had had a decent quali then he could’ve been near the front and driven hard enough to make the tyres work. Why was his quali so bad? I can understand that he’s not the bravest at overtakes during the race and loses places that way but there’s no excuses during quali. I think he’s doomed as a Merc driver. 
    Couple of mistakes on his final Q3 lap.  Now that Merc don’t have a massive car advantage, it doesn’t take much to put you right back in the pack.

It was a real shame for him, because up to Q3 there was virtually nothing to choose between himself, Hamilton and Verstappen.

Perez was the opposite - didn’t look in the same league as the others all the way through qualifying, but then pulled out a super lap at the last minute.
  • Looks like 'Sprint Race Qualifying' is a go for three races of the season:

Not convinced to be honest. I like the idea of a shorter sprint race, but not one that essentially becomes the qualifying for the main Grand Prix. The current Saturday qualifying format seems to me to be something that is "just right" as it is, so not sure it's a good idea to mess with it. Proof will be in the pudding I guess...
    I'm not against trying new things with an open mind, but without reverse grids it will only make things worse. 

They spend all weekend working out who is fastest, then put the fastest ones at the front, and then wonder why no-one can overtake. This is more of the same, just with an extra step to send the slower guys to the back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Minimum points on offer so I can see if being a very cautious race to save everything for the Sunday. 

In other news, have a look at this - 45 seconds of Jean Alesi in Niki Lauda's old car at the Monaco historics

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6199
    ^ Forget Alesi. The motorcycle cameraman's the real star!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1883
    edited April 2021
    Oops.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1883
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1323
    There's an onboard on the Goodwood channel on YouTube.  He's giving it a decent run!!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm not against trying new things with an open mind, but without reverse grids it will only make things worse. 

They spend all weekend working out who is fastest, then put the fastest ones at the front, and then wonder why no-one can overtake. This is more of the same, just with an extra step to send the slower guys to the back.

My money's on a snore-fest, but as I remain bottom of the FB Fantasy F1 pile, my judgment could be flawed.

• Brio said:
    Good job the camera want attached on race day, or the damage could have been even more expensive...

Great racing BTW. Shame it ended the way it did, as it has shades of Mansell Vs Senna racing to the chequered flag.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6199
    Brio said:
    I know. It's obvious: shadow, lack of leaning in corners, no-one could follow so consistently close, etc

I was making a (low effort) funny.

I'll get my coat...