The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Looks like the Alesi footage wasn't the only cool bit of camera work done last weekend...

That sound is just incredible!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1145
    I watched some of the Monaco historics at the weekend. The sounds is awesome, the cars look great, and the onboard footage reveals just how much work the drivers are doing. Unlike the modern cars where most of the action is button presses on the steering wheel. And that last video from Louis Deletraz, look how exposed the driver is if he has an off! Urgh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    I watched some of the Monaco historics at the weekend. The sounds is awesome, the cars look great, and the onboard footage reveals just how much work the drivers are doing. Unlike the modern cars where most of the action is button presses on the steering wheel. And that last video from Louis Deletraz, look how exposed the driver is if he has an off! Urgh
    Proper racing where death was sitting on your shoulder all weekend, not like the namby pamby lot today with their halos and whatnot. 

I’m joking, but they were either proper heroes or nutcases back then. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Proper racing where death was sitting on your shoulder all weekend, not like the namby pamby lot today with their halos and whatnot. 

I've been to the Silverstone Historic a couple of times and I'm always struck by how hard they race, considering a) risk of death or serious injury as mentioned above and b) the massive value of some of the cars. Doing it at Monaco really ramps that all up to eleven, doesn't it?! :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1145
    boogieman said:

I was thinking about a similar thing earlier, and the same thought about F1 drivers crossed my mind. I'm not sure they are nutcases, or brave. They are taking calculated risks. It looks like bravery or madness because we haven't done the same calculations. That theory was backed up when I watched an episode of Drive for Success at lunch time, and it was focusing on the Grosjean crash. Every driver seemed to get a bit of a wake up call. They realised how they're calculations might have missed a couple of factors. To us it looks obvious, but to those guys I think they have faith that the safety systems are going to do their job well enough.

Similar to how you continue to walk across roads, despite seeing on the news that an unfortunate soul got run down by a car.

But yeah, it still looks insane and I take my hat off to them.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27610
    Canada out (boo) but Turkey back in (yay). 

Also Canada’s overall contract extended to 2031 (yay!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Great stuff so far. I can see Ham & Max going at it all race... :D :D 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7691
    Hamilton's overtake was goooooood.

You could see Max's chirpy post-race mood depart his body in that trackside interview... 
    Red ones are better. 
    Yeah, I really thought that would be a close one but Ham had it covered after 3 laps. Pure class.

"It's just the car..." - yeah, right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Excellent race. Ham showed why he's the best, Max drove the wheels off his Red Bull and if Bottas didn't get back luck he'd get no luck at all.

The star for me was Lando Norris. P5 - great race and overtook a Red Bull fairly, not that Perez thought so.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4231
    Romain Grosjean is going to get a drive in last year's Merc. Really pleased for him :)

https://www.planetf1.com/news/romain-grosjean-mercedes-test/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Romain Grosjean is going to get a drive in last year's Merc. Really pleased for him :)

And it'll be during the French GP weekend at Paul Ricard, which is ace because 1) he'll get a proper send-off from the paddock and TV guys, and 2) it's almost impossible to prang it at Paul Ricard so hopefully they let him give it some beans :) 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4231

And it'll be during the French GP weekend at Paul Ricard, which is ace because 1) he'll get a proper send-off from the paddock and TV guys, and 2) it's almost impossible to prang it at Paul Ricard so hopefully they let him give it some beans :) 
    Got to admit, it did cross my mind that Paul Ricard was chosen because it has such huge run-off areas...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They could have at least got him a new race suit - he's wearing Stoffel's old one!

• Interesting strategy from Mateschitz - if you can't beat em, poach all their staff!

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12298257/red-bull-hire-more-mercedes-engine-staff-for-new-f1-powertrains-division-as-recruitment-ramps-up

I wonder how much more they're being offered than what they're on at Mercedes?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    Interesting strategy from Mateschitz - if you can't beat em, poach all their staff!

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12298257/red-bull-hire-more-mercedes-engine-staff-for-new-f1-powertrains-division-as-recruitment-ramps-up

It's an easy move too - Brixworth to Milton Keynes is only an hour.
    Interesting strategy from Mateschitz - if you can't beat em, poach all their staff!

I bet some of the Mercedes engine staff want a new challenge .. a startup can be exciting.

I thought they wanted an engine freeze because they weren’t developing the engine?! Not complaining if it means more commitment from Red Bull but smacks of their usual hypocrisy somewhat…!
    I thought they wanted an engine freeze because they weren’t developing the engine?! Not complaining if it means more commitment from Red Bull but smacks of their usual hypocrisy somewhat…!

The freeze is from 2022 so I guess they want to do some development this year but RB is going to have to make their own engines. They need expertise for that.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    Fretwired said:

I bet some of the Mercedes engine staff want a new challenge .. a startup can be exciting.
    More pubs in MK rather than Brixworth too! :D 

(My inlaws live in Brixworth - I go there a lot.... :( )