The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    Must admit I don’t get all the excitement over Monaco. Sure it’s a glamorous location (probably great if you’re watching from a big fuck off yacht) and has the heritage, but by god it’s boring for the casual fan like me. I struggled through the “highlights”, such as they were, I don’t think I could’ve stayed awake for the actual live race. One of those circuits where it really needs a crash to liven things up. Maybe it would’ve been slightly more exciting if LeClerc had been able to drive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7751
    I generally agree, but not sure I buy that for modern races at Monaco. Lack of excitement doesn't equal excitement imo! There was literally only one non-pitstop overtake the entire race, between 2 Haases on lap 1. And the other "will he, won't he?" moments weren't really valid as we all knew he wouldn't in all cases. 

I don't want to get rid of it as it's one of the absolute jewels in the motor racing calendar (or at least it should be). I'm just praying the new cars mean we'll get better racing next year. 

No, but lack of excitement doesn’t mean boring - that’s my point 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    TimmyO said:

No, but lack of excitement doesn’t mean boring - that’s my point 
    But surely it does - that’s the point. Lack of overtakes doesn’t equal “no excitement” as I completely agree you can have a race with almost no overtakes that’s actually really exciting; if there are drivers going flat out and hustling and trying but failing to makes passes that can still be great. 

But that ain’t the race we had yesterday. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7299
    Christ, what a dull race.  Just watching the repeats was a chore, so my heart goes out to those of you who had to suffer the full length race.

That’s Monaco sometimes.  Its very nature - tight and twisty, zero runoff - normally introduces unpredictability.  This year there was little of that.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a boring Monaco, but I wouldn’t change it.  Not that you could.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Mazepin managed to keep it on the track, that’s how boring it was.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolff-valtteri-bottas-wheel-nut/

Toto saying Bottas partly to blame for the wheel nut - not being exactly on his pit markers. "Forced" the wheelman to put the gun on at an angle.

Funny how the other 3 wheelmen managed it then.

I'm wondering if the decision has already been made... blaming a leaving team member for the benefit of the shareholders.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2021

Toto saying Bottas partly to blame for the wheel nut - not being exactly on his pit markers. "Forced" the wheelman to put the gun on at an angle.

I'm wondering if the decision has already been made... blaming a leaving team member for the benefit of the shareholders.
    That’s ridiculous.  Drivers marginally miss their markers all the time, and the end result is that the pit crew has to shuffle up a bit to change the wheels - means a longer stop, which is on the driver’s head.  I’m endlessnessly impressed by how they manage to come screaming in at 70 mph and plant it within a few inches.

If the party line is that the driver has to be millimetre-perfect in order for the wheel nut guy to do his job properly, I think you need a new wheel nut guy.
    And a new wheel nut.

Have they actually managed to get the wheel nut off yet?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    KwikFit would have butchered it off by now, and also charged for an air conditioning service.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If they’d taken on some unemployed teenagers from Liverpool they’d have got all four wheels off in no time.  

Unfortunately they’d also have resprayed it and sold it to Red Bull for a case of Stella, a bag of weed and some pictures of Ginger Spice in the shower.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Could be, but I think it is more to do with Wolff slapping down an underperforming Bottas whom he thinks is acting like a Prima Donna with his comments and criticisms about the team .. Hamilton quickly said that he and the team would talk behind closed doors about his issues.

I still think Bottas could be in a Mercedes next year - for Wolff it's a dream team so long as Hamilton performs.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957

Im a Mercedes fan, but Toto turning on Valtteri like that is harsh to say the least.

Cols said:
    No.

They said they would have to cut it off at the factory!

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Cols said:
    No.

Where's @markr76 when we need him?!  ;)

Nitefly said:
    Cols said:
    No.

Where's @markr76 when we need him?! 

He’s in a spot of bother with Mercedes HR.

Apparently there was a bit of a misunderstanding when Toto handed him a hacksaw and told him to cut one of Valtteri’s nuts off…
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I reckon it'll happen sooner or later. Unless Eddie Jordan said it, in which case it's bollocks.

I reckon it'll happen sooner or later. Unless Eddie Jordan said it, in which case it's bollocks.
    I've seen other stories this week about Russell planning his move to live in Monaco...

He doesn't need to do that on a Williams salary.