The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Bugger, I had Charles as my Fantasy League Turbo Driver, and Ferrari as my team for the weekend. Thought I was gonna be roaring to the too of the table, but I guess not!  :p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    Suspect we used up all the Monaco drama with the Ferrari stuff pre-race. This is one race where next year's spec could really show whether it has helped things...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Rather amusing that the director has now TWICE failed to show us literally the only on-track overtake from the whole race. It shouldn't be this hard!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    edited May 2021 tFB Trader
    I’ve been in the workshop since 7am packaging up boxes for shipping tomorrow. I thought “I’ll pop BBC on my phone and listen to the race”. Would that have been BBC 5 Live? The main commentator (no idea who he is) needs to hand the mic over to someone else. Every sentence involved mentioning how boring Monaco is and how dull the race has been. I only kept listening in case there was a dramatic turnaround towards the end. Whoever he is he needs to get a bloody grip, absolutely cringing to listen to.

And well done to Max, this could be his year.
  • Well, a real turning point for the season in terms of the championship, but wow what a boring race!

Can anyone remember the last time we went a full Monaco GP race distance without anyone making any major mistakes?! Not even Mazespin managed to spice things up by bringing out a safety car!
    To be fair it was a bloody awful race. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Well, a real turning point for the season in terms of the championship, but wow what a boring race!

Can anyone remember the last time we went a full Monaco GP race distance without anyone making any major mistakes?! Not even Mazespin managed to spice things up by bringing out a safety car!
    Honestly I think they're just at the point where it's so hard to overtake they literally don't even try. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    Incredibly dull race.  Changes the championship, but its just one race and doesn't suit the Mercedes.  It will be back to normal by the next one.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited May 2021
    Well done Norris - on the podium and third in the driver standings - shocking for Riccardo but a boring and dull race .. a shame LeClerc couldn't start on pole. Time to bin Monaco.

Poor old Bottas .. if he didn't get bad luck he'd get no luck at all.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Next year could be better - F2 and FE both showed there's nothing wrong with the track, it's just that the current F1 cars dont' work there.

No idea what they're going to talk about in the TV analysis now - nothing happened in the race... 45 minutes of Bottas' wheelnut?!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    To be fair it was a bloody awful race. 

Yep, even Martin said so during the commentary.

I'm hoping that Lewis wins the championship this year, but if it goes down to the wire that would suit me just fine :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5903
    I’ve been in the workshop since 7am packaging up boxes for shipping tomorrow. I thought “I’ll pop BBC on my phone and listen to the race”. Would that have been BBC 5 Live? The main commentator (no idea who he is) needs to hand the mic over to someone else. Every sentence involved mentioning how boring Monaco is and how dull the race has been. I only kept listening in case there was a dramatic turnaround towards the end. Whoever he is he needs to get a bloody grip, absolutely cringing to listen to.

I think I might have preferred that to the TV version where they constantly try and push up the idea that some dramatic event is building up. 

“He’s catching at 0.000000000076 seconds a lap now. We could be in for an epic last 20 yards of the race!!!”

We all know that catching at 5 seconds a lap want make any difference. There’s no way to pass there in a current F1 car. 

Was worth the afternoon to see Lando get the podium though.  
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 946
    I taped it and fast forwarded it to the interesting bits .... which, apart from Bottas getting his nuts in a twist, was straight to the end ..took about 5 mins.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    dazzajl said:

We all know that catching at 5 seconds a lap want make any difference. There’s no way to pass there in a current F1 car. 

I think thats harsh.  Monaco is a unique narrow track with space for anywhere to overtake.  Previous races this season have seen a fair bit of action and there is a long season still ahead with plenty of opportunity for more action.

I will agree that I am looking forward to the new regulations in a hope that it does improve the closeness of racing, but it won't do anything for Monaco.  It's an anachronism.  

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    PhilW1 said:
    I taped it and fast forwarded it to the interesting bits .... which, apart from Bottas getting his nuts in a twist, was straight to the end ..took about 5 mins.
    Wasn’t helped by the truly awful camera director. Every time something that looked interesting started to happen he cut away. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1337
    YouTube 6 mins highlights for the win!

Great circuit, spectacular and historic, but rarely good racing.  Enjoyed Max power sliding a bit on the last lap, though.

Shame for LeClerc...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Let's face it, the 'Monaco needs to be dropped' debate is nothing new, it's been going on for year and years. Every now and then you get a good 'un, this time around it was boring. In fact it was almost as boring as the Hungaroring, arguably the worst circuit ever.

Max showed he's matured, though. Well done!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7731
    edited May 2021
    As so often in the "looking at paper result = boring" F1 trope it is to ignore the wider experience: eg for this race: short lap, traffic often an issue, statistically a safety car is almost a certainly (yes yes, not this time - but the point is you were EXPECTING one at some point) etc means you’re watching wondering who will be hampered or helped by those things - will Lando assume he’s going to be overtaken and put for softs, will Lewis get res mist on Ocon, will Vettel remember he’s supposed to have forgotten how to race :-) 

I’ve watched far more boring races that had more overtakes, and far more boring football matches that had 3 goals 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7731
    Comparison: looking at end of season football results and seeing (who wins it lots?, I don’t know, Chelsea?) Chelsea have won and saying “see, boring, that wasn’t worth watching, glad I just read the result) 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited May 2021
    I generally agree, but not sure I buy that for modern races at Monaco. Lack of excitement doesn't equal excitement imo! There was literally only one non-pitstop overtake the entire race, between 2 Haases on lap 1. And the other "will he, won't he?" moments weren't really valid as we all knew he wouldn't in all cases. 

I don't want to get rid of it as it's one of the absolute jewels in the motor racing calendar (or at least it should be). I'm just praying the new cars mean we'll get better racing next year. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom