The F1 thread

What's Hot
1830831832833834836»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24868
    The track should be 10ft higher than the surrounding land. No barriers. Just a load of crash mats underneath and a system that returns the cars to the pits like under the slate on a pool table. 

Undamaged cars allowed to re-join, but the 'back to pits' process to take a minimum of 2 minutes.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27749
    The track should be 10ft higher than the surrounding land. No barriers. Just a load of crash mats underneath and a system that returns the cars to the pits like under the slate on a pool table. 

Undamaged cars allowed to re-join, but the 'back to pits' process to take a minimum of 2 minutes.
    Nah, they need a crane rig covering the whole track to pick the cars and put them back on almost like a fishing line. They could hide all the gubbins with a fluffy cloud-like substance... Even better use drones propellors to make it fly. 

You could use the same rigging to show the chequered flag and start lights.... 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    Cols said:
    Gasly confirmed staying at Alpine 

Stroll confirmed to stay at AM (where else?!)

Hopefully Alpine continue their improvement.  Gasly’s a great driver, but there weren’t too many other options.  

Stroll - I guess he continues for as long as he wants to be in F1.  And to be absolutely fair to him, he’s respectably close to his teammate in qualifying - certainly better than Magnussen, Perez, Zhou and Sargeant are doing against theirs.

And Austria has put gravel strips on the outside of the corners. I hope this really works as it's such an obvious thing to try 

I suppose it’s better than acres of asphalt runoff, but I’d still prefer a pit filled with vipers.
    I still think the superglue option is worth exploring..
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1337
    Congrats to Aston Martin for somehow managing to secure the services of Lance Stroll for at least one more year.
    8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 28
    Sprint weekend so while I'm not mega excited about the sprint itself I'm liking the lack of practice. 

Merc have another upgrade and straight out of the blocks to the top of the timings so far
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5005
    I've grown to like the sprint weekends for the same reason, not such a big fan of the sprint race, but its got to be better than a dull FP3 and it stops the crazy optimisation of everything by the teams. Which actually seems to penalise Red Bull the most so thats fine with me :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• ColsCols Frets: 7297
    edited June 28
    Jos Verstappen has pulled out of this weekend’s Legend’s Parade, reportedly after Horner objected.

The Legends Parade includes “legendary F1 drivers and iconic F1 cars that have won the Austrian Grand Prix over the past 50 years”.  

This is a rare occasion, but I actually agree with Whinger Spice here.  Verstappen Senior’s F1 career was mediocre at best, and it would be odd to put him alongside the other drivers lined up (Grand Prix winners Gerhard Berger, David Coulthard, Johnny Herbert and double World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi).

Maybe he misread the brief and thought it was ‘Bellend’s Parade’?
    edited June 28
    Jos isn't even close to being a legendary driver. I'd honestly say Olivier Panis would be a better call because at least he won the legendary 1996 Monaco GP. Incidentally, a race where Jos was also competing, and was the first retiree on lap 1...

Also, I also doubt he would fit in the RB8. 

Anyway, nothing of value was lost! :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7297
    Jos isn't even close to being a legendary driver. I'd honestly say Olivier Panis would be a better call because at least he won the legendary 1996 Monaco GP. Incidentally, a race where Jos was also competing, and was the first retiree on lap 1...

Also, I also doubt he would fit in the RB8. 

Anyway, nothing of value was lost! :D 
    He might be able to fit in the RB8, but not get out again.  Have we missed an opportunity?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7736
    He's most remembered (by me) for that spectacular photo of the fiery explosion during refuelling 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Max in P1 for the Sprint, but looks really tight between him and the McLarens. Mercedes looked promising in practice but didn't really come together for them when the chips were down.
    First few laps were great. First time with Lando & Oscar on the same podium? 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4763

Reasonable sprint race.  The Mclaren’s working against themselves a little, I think Norris probably had the better pace to challenge MV, but you can’t blame Piastri for taking the opportunity.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7736
    The re-overtake by Max was hardcore - full on NOPE! 

I agree that McLaren racing each other reduces the chance of having another go, but the alternative isn’t great either so it is what it is I guess 
    Red ones are better. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4763

Agreed.  I’m all for the racing, good to see a team challenging with 2 very good young drivers on an even keel.
    Soooo Perez was 17 seconds behind in a 23 lap race...

Ok then.

• Soooo Perez was 17 seconds behind in a 23 lap race...

Ok then.
    That's about par for the course for Perez really.
    Yeah - but it really shouldn't be.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5905
    Yeah - but it really shouldn't be.
    It’s his job to bring a lot of cash and be extremely average 
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    edited June 29