The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1647
    The Sports Lawyers on Twitter have woken up

Two words I'd never imagined would go together 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lando's post-race interview suggests he's clearly uncomfortable with the result. 

And George is NOT HAPPY. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Mercedes should leave it there. They lost.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    poopot said:
    Merc will appeal that… will it get overturned tho’? Ever?
    First protest is internal - then it can go outside to the civilian courts.

They won't give a crap about the drivers, just about whether the rules were followed.

I think Mercedes will argue that their decision not to pit Lewis was based on the FIA rules that they expected Masi would follow. I think Masi will argue he is improving the F1 spectacle - just look at the viewing figures for the last race.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    edited December 2021
    Mercedes should leave it there. They lost.
    According to Regulation 39.12 the race should have been called as over behind the safety car.

Why should they leave it there with such an obvious breach of a regulation?

EDIT - new rules updated is now under 48.12 rather than 39.12.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Lando's post-race interview suggests he's clearly uncomfortable with the result. 

And George is NOT HAPPY. 

George will be racing for Mercedes next year .... ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From twitter:

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms" "Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided next goal wins while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    Independent reporting protest has been lodged 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    Fretwired said:
    poopot said:
    First protest is internal - then it can go outside to the civilian courts.

They won't give a crap about the drivers, just about whether the rules were followed.

I think Mercedes will argue that their decision not to pit Lewis was based on the FIA rules that they expected Masi would follow. I think Masi will argue he is improving the F1 spectacle - just look at the viewing figures for the last race.
    Yes but it’s not for the race director to decide a race needs to be more (or less) exciting 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Apparently 39.12 has been replaced by 48.12 (still 2021 regs, just an updated version). Should have finished under the SC

It still says the same thing. And 48.8 -  Max apparently overtook LH before the safety car line.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    From twitter:

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms" "Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided next goal wins while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

I saw a rugby version

Lewis was within 1 metre of Max's try line when Max was awarded a penalty try at the other end.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Apparently 39.12 has been replaced by 48.12 (still 2021 regs, just an updated version). Should have finished under the SC

It still says the same thing. And 48.8 -  Max apparently overtook LH before the safety car line.

I did wonder if Max was ahead at one point under the hotel. It was bloody close if not. 
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 577
    Rules are rules, the race director cannot go against them because he feels like it. This from an impartial Ferrari fan.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2807
    edited December 2021
    Irrespective of who won the title, the current brand of directing feels very much like the kind of production tactics one might expect from a reality show, with what feels like engineered results along the way. In that respect it’s been consistent in its inconsistency and unexpectedness. I think there were a lot of faces in the crowd (RBR faces inclusive) who understood the ending pretty well and the meaning of the victory. I wonder how Jos feels. 

The most sense spoken was the phrase where both drivers did deserve it, and in that sense I agree so it’s not a particularly elation-filled end of a season for me. Max is an astonishing driver and so is Hamilton. It’s a shame that the season has been somewhat regimented by questionable rules calls throughout. 

Brazil 2021 will still be up there as one of the greatest drives in F1 weekends, but so will Austin, Dutch GP etc. 
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 163
    edited December 2021
    poopot said:
    They can appeal however I doubt the race finishing result will be overturned. Having said that in the minds of many there will always be a (?) over the ending of the 2021 Championship.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
    The updated rules ... seems clear to me.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    If the safety car did come in one lap too early, that's a huge SNAFU.
  • CoolCat said:
    poopot said:
    They can appeal however I doubt the ruling will be overturned. The result will stand but there will always be a (?) over the ending of the 2021 Championship.
    But only to people like us. To someone in a few years time looking at the history of the F1 world championship it will just list Max as the winner of the 2021 WDC; there won't be a star against it or a caveat or anything.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    CoolCat said:
    poopot said:
    They can appeal however I doubt the ruling will be overturned. The result will stand but there will always be a (?) over the ending of the 2021 Championship.
    But only to people like us. To someone in a few years time looking at the history of the F1 world championship it will just list Max as the winner of the 2021 WDC; there won't be a star against it or a caveat or anything.
    That used to be true, pre-Internet.

But wiki will record it for anyone looking it up.

See Schumacher 1994 for an obvious question mark that won't ever go away.
    CoolCat said:
    poopot said:
    They can appeal however I doubt the race finishing result will be overturned. Having said that in the minds of many there will always be a (?) over the ending of the 2021 Championship.

They can do it by asking the question IF the rules had been followed and the SC stayed out, what would the result have been?

It's called the "but for" test in law.

But for the (dodgy event) the following would have happened (or not happened.

"But for the failure of Michael Massi to properly apply regulation 48.12, the race would have ended under the SC with LH in 1st and MV in 2nd"

Of course how the FIA will actually deal with it....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom