The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    CoolCat said:
    poopot said:
    Merc will appeal that… will it get overturned tho’? Ever?
    They can appeal however I doubt the ruling will be overturned. The result will stand but there will always be a (?) over the ending of the 2021 Championship.
    But only to people like us. To someone in a few years time looking at the history of the F1 world championship it will just list Max as the winner of the 2021 WDC; there won't be a star against it or a caveat or anything.

Yup.

As I have explained to all the Hamilton haters doing the "Shamilton" thing - in 100 years time LH will always be the first driver to reach 100 race wins, 100 poles etc.

Only the statistics last.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    edited December 2021
    CoolCat said:
    poopot said:
    They can appeal however I doubt the ruling will be overturned. The result will stand but there will always be a (?) over the ending of the 2021 Championship.
    But only to people like us. To someone in a few years time looking at the history of the F1 world championship it will just list Max as the winner of the 2021 WDC; there won't be a star against it or a caveat or anything.

Yup.

As I have explained to all the Hamilton haters doing the "Shamilton" thing - in 100 years time LH will always be the first driver to reach 100 race wins, 100 poles etc.

Only the statistics last.
    Indeed. This was what was behind my Q a few pages back about clean/dirty multi champions - the stink doesn’t really stick but the achievements do. I mean look at how Seb is seen now vs back then 
    Red ones are better. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I didn't watch it, I went off F1 many years ago, and I was actually not really bothered who won. Sure, I'd be OK with Hamilton winning as I'm a Brit, but nothing wrong with a new champ, and racing gets boring with the same winner all the time.

Having said that and read about the race, the end sounds like a total farce. I can't see how anything that happened at the end was fair in the least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I think Hamilton has matured into a great person and his decorum has shown that. 

I do think that Mercedes has a case. Red bull heavily lobbied the race director which I think influenced his quick decision. And that decision  was clearly against the rules of the race. Given the context of the race it clearly put max in a huge advantage that was undefendable for Hamilton. Hamilton was the best driver on the day and their was genuine racing. Max was shit off the line and Hamilton was awesome. Max didn't leave any room for Hamilton in his move and it was obvious that Hamilton did a great job at not colliding. The move wouldn't have stuck unless Hamilton went off the track and that was taken into account. The fact that even though Max won, there was hardly any smiles from his dad or Max. They know that they robbed a bank and got away with it, for now at least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1185
    What a shit show...
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    What a story for Max to tell his grandkids.

Unfortunately overturning this result will only add to the incompetence of those running these races at the moment, but maybe something drastic needs to change, so it's going to take something drastic to make that happen.

For me F1 has really lost a lot of credibility this season.
  • I have followed F1 for about 40 years and watched every race this season.  I watched the end of todays race with my jaw dropped in shock at what I was watching.  Ive deliberately not commented for a couple of hours while I cooked tea and tried to take it in.  I could write for a long while about how I feel but I think its all been said so Ill sum up with

Lewis was robbed by appalling decision making by the stewards - Masi has been poor all season and should be sacked.

This was the closest battle we have had for years and it should have been a great show.  Whilst I support lewis I will accept if he is beaten by a better team and a better driver.  I can see that Verstappen is talented but he's also dangerous and dirty and driving for a team that are willing to go along with dirty tactics to get it their way.  That means this season is and always will be tainted.

I dont know what difference the protest will make but this is going to rumble on for days if not weeks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    sinbaadi said:
    What a story for Max to tell his grandkids.

Unfortunately overturning this result will only add to the incompetence of those running these races at the moment, but maybe something drastic needs to change, so it's going to take something drastic to make that happen.

For me F1 has really lost a lot of credibility this season.

Agreed.

It's such a shame - even just in the UK, C4 showing the race live and the viewing figures going through the roof and now they've fucked it.

I've seen a few Twitter comments "First and last time I'm watching this corrupt shit" type things.

Even Bunk from The Wire getting involved!

Whiting’s role was underpinned by the absolute respect the teams had for him. By that measure MM isn’t the right man. 

I see Brawn is stepping down at some point soon - he’d be an ace race director (albeit it’s something of a demotion) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 163
    edited December 2021
    CoolCat said:
    poopot said:
    I agree with you skullfunkerry. I should have been clearer - to the die hard Lewis supporter some would say he was 'robbed', on the other hand the die hard Max supporter would say 'sour grapes' -  ;)

Personally I was conflicted as to who I wanted to win. On the one hand I wanted Lewis to win to achieve a record breaking, history making, 8 F1 DWC's. On the other hand I wanted Max to win as he is a phenomenal talent and will no doubt win more DWC's.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 856
    First time watching F1 in ages - since I was a kid. 

My nearly 4 year old loves cars, so gave it a go. Felt like WWE at the end. Seems mad one chap can be cruising to victory, then something completely out of his hands happens, then he loses.

Don’t think I’ll be tuning in regularly 

Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    Toto’s off to get in the queue for 8am 
    Red ones are better. 
    Seen on Twitter

Comparing the race to Season 8 of Game of Thrones!

ha ha hahahahahahaha!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    It's all an elaborate charade, meant to stop us talking about Christmas parties, and quizzes, and so on...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCat said:
    CoolCat said:
    poopot said:
    I agree with you skullfunkerry. I should have been clearer - to the die hard Lewis supporter some would say he was 'robbed', on the other hand the die hard Max supporter would say 'sour grapes' -  ;)

Personally I was conflicted as to who I wanted to win. On the one hand I wanted Lewis to win to achieve a record breaking, history making, 8 F1 DWC's. On the other hand I wanted Max to win as he is a phenomenal talent and will no doubt win more DWC's.
    That’s the thing, he is very very fast; he doesn’t need to drive the way he does. It’s a shame.

I remember when he was starting his career, I quite liked that Red Bull didn’t seem to do things the same way as the other teams; Christian Horner seemed like a fairly straight-talking bloke, and there was a bit of fun about everything (thinking back to CH jumping naked into the swimming pool when David Coulthard got a podium in Monaco, and the very funny social media stuff from the Red Bulletin), but that all seems to have been forgotten in the pursuit of winning at any cost.

Two particular moments stick in my mind: Max & Danny Ric seemed to have a really good relationship, and then when Daniel left, Max was all “Nah, I wouldn’t say I liked him, I’m not going to miss him”… and in Drive to Survive on Netflix, there was a bit when Christian Horner was talking about Danny Ric leaving and he made a big deal out of not knowing how to pronounce Ricciardo, which I thought was pretty disrepectful after working with the guy for five years.

All in all I’m feeling pretty disillusioned with it all this afternoon. I need to get over myself: at the end of it all, my life isn’t affected one way or another by which multi-millionaire is the F1 champ, is it?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• @skullfunkerry 100% agree. Except maybe that last sentence ;) 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4328
    edited December 2021
    I started taking an interest in F1 a few months back when it seemed to be getting interesting. Watched up till lap 57 the turned it off. 

It's a bit like Wales being thrashed by the All Blacks and with 10 minutes to go 10 of the All Blacks get sent off, just  to even things up.

That's not sport that's al lot like Wrestling was in the 70's