The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Utter bollocks. I've been in a stinking mood all afternoon.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24640
    mrkb said:
    Fretwired said:
    Well done Max, what a finale!

Remind me what Max did in this Grand Prix to deserve the win and become world champion? Lewis beat him off the line at the start for the lead, they then clashed, but the stewards decided it didn't warrant investigation, and from that point on Lewis was always in front of Max and was pulling away from him. Had the stewards asked Lewis to let Max past him after they clashed he had the raw pace to overtake and beat Max fair and square.

It seems that Masi favoured Red Bull in the safety car period by ignoring the FIA's own rules. Had there been no safety car Lewis would have won. Max is a lucky guy and Masi is a disgrace. Whiting would have finished the race under the safety car.
    He crossed the finish line first.
    So did Ben Johnson.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1314
    If we're playing that game, you might as well argue that "safety car in this lap" doesn't even actually specify what lap "this lap" is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    A dog shit end to the season , not felt this disillusioned with F1 since Adelaide in 1994 . 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sticker said:
    A dog shit end to the season , not felt this disillusioned with F1 since Adelaide in 1994 . 

How about 2005 USA G when only 6 cars started

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5808
    Totally farcical crap. 

I wasn’t too fussed on who won, they can both be whingeing pricks and have both driven on other worldly levels this year. 

The race director and stewards have brought disrepute and a complete lack of respect to the sport and that’s really sad to see. Consistency of rules, that’s all that’s needed and I get that it’s very complicated to apply them to this constantly fluid situation but it’s not impossible. They clearly just didn’t want this huge television audience they’d been gifted to see the championship decided behind a safety car and chucked the sport under the bus to take the business profit. 

Bernie will be very proud of them. :(
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    First time I’ve watched F1 in about 10 years. What I learned is it’s now a very expensive scalextric set owned by a man called Michael. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5687
    I’d gladly see a rule which states that under safety car conditions the race must recommence as before the safety car joined the track. 

I.E., all cars in the same track position, back-markers included, and with the same tyres on the car - no jumping into the pits to gain an advantage. 

Let the race be won under race conditions and keep any race strategy to normal pit stops for fresh tyres etc. 

Running a race dependent on legal technicalities has ruined the sport and any credibility the sport or its governing body had. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• BBBlues said:
    First time I’ve watched F1 in about 10 years. What I learned is it’s now a very expensive scalextric set owned by a man called Michael. 
    Not a satisfying end but it’s been an exciting season.
    I don’t think you can base a whole opinion on a sport on one race, whatever happened.

My main take away from it was the race director in the last 2 races was weak.  I also don’t like the conversations to be aired, they should just release the decision rather than hear him make it up on the spot. 

On the bright side they have made VAR look like
    a slick operation.  
  • Whether one's a Hamilton or Max fan, I think looking over the season, both sets will no doubt agree that Masi needs to go.

Toto's message to Masi re the VSC was a disgrace - as was his first complaint re Max's position behind the SC. A far cry from their winning on the track BS while lobbying for pit stop changes in the interests of "safety". Matched anything that Horner has said today.

Going back to 2007, in Brazil with the fuel irregularities where Hamilton did not want to win in that way, and the Ferrari barge board where the mighty Ron Dennis did not protest "in the interest of motorsport" just shows how low the Team Principals are prepared to stoop to in the current format.

Mercedes can protest until the cows come home but am sure that the result will not change.

Hamilton and his father won the respect of many F1 fans (me included) for their graciousness off the track.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4893
    Absolute joke, the whole thing has been stage managed and despite the Horner and Max comments, the favouritism has been for them over the majority of the season..

Masi is out of his depth, and the reality is Lewis had this in the bag until Masi changed the rules at the end of the race. I've watched every season since 1988 without fail, I'm thoroughly disgusted I'll be honest. The whole bullshit is, they stated they wanted it to be settled on track but, they knew Lewis was a sitting duck when they decided to have a last racing lap, so effectively they decided the title. It's a sham and Lewis won an eighth title today fair and square, I can't even talk right now due to how this has gone.

Fucking joke

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12429
    I thought the only good thing to come out of today’s fiasco was how dignified and calm Lewis kept in defeat. I only saw the highlights so don’t know if it was edited, but it looked like Max kept his back turned on Lewis throughout the whole podium ceremony. If so, he’s a tosspot. A hollow victory in my book, not that it will matter to Max, Karen and RB. Now I’m hoping Merc and Lewis kick their arses fair and square next season. 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3476
    edited December 2021
    boogieman said:
    Now I’m hoping Merc and Lewis kick their arses fair and square next season. 
    They did that this season and it didn't get them anywhere. But let's hope!

I've genuinely never felt so aggrieved by a sporting incident or sporting decision in my entire life and there have been some absolute howlers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Toto's message to Masi re the VSC was a disgrace - as was his first complaint re Max's position behind the SC. A far cry from their winning on the track BS while lobbying for pit stop changes in the interests of "safety". Matched anything that Horner has said today.

I disagree. This is what Masi has brought on himself. Red Bull have done exactly the same thing all season. Teams shouldn't be allowed to talk to the race director. It seems clear that Horner's comment about letting cars pass the safety car rattled Masi and caused him to make a snap decision that affected the race.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15622
    as some of you know, I don't follow F1 so generally don't care, but I was round my sister's and her hubby and son were watching it, so I had no choice. It was fascinating watching the conversation between the red bull boss (who I found out was getting geri halliwells good stuff) and the face marshal. It's a fantastic testament to modern banking to see just how quickly funds can clear into someone's bank account nowadays. Before you'd have to wait 3 days for that sort of decision. BACS should use that as an advert!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WTF ...

Christian Horner thanked Nicholas Latifi for his part in the astonishing World Championship climax – and insisted the stewards had made the right calls.

Horner has no class whatsoever.

VimFuego said:
    as some of you know, I don't follow F1 so generally don't care, but I was round my sister's and her hubby and son were watching it, so I had no choice. It was fascinating watching the conversation between the red bull boss (who I found out was getting geri halliwells good stuff) and the face marshal. It's a fantastic testament to modern banking to see just how quickly funds can clear into someone's bank account nowadays. Before you'd have to wait 3 days for that sort of decision. BACS should use that as an advert!

Seriously :-) :-) :-)

• Fretwired said:
    WTF ...

Christian Horner thanked Nicholas Latifi for his part in the astonishing World Championship climax – and insisted the stewards had made the right calls.

Horner has no class whatsoever.

Whilst I agree and don't find him a likeable person, we must remember that for him it's very much a lucrative business event. He's just got a nice bonus and met his yearly objectives. It will matter very little to Horner if this is won in a gentlemanly and sporting way. If that sentiment will affect anyone, it's likely to be Max. But he seems to be enjoying himself, and why shouldn't he, he's just been gifted it and his argument will be that he's been the better driver this season.

The whole thing sucks balls. I knew as soon as Latifi crashed that it was game over. My wife asked me at the time what I was getting so worked up about...the writing was on the wall at that very moment.

• Fretwired said:

I disagree. This is what Masi has brought on himself. Red Bull have done exactly the same thing all season. Teams shouldn't be allowed to talk to the race director. It seems clear that Horner's comment about letting cars pass the safety car rattled Masi and caused him to make a snap decision that affected the race.

I watch much less F1 than I used to, so am not up to speed with current practices.

An absolute shocker - and yes, I was most shocked by Christian Horner being able to have dialogue with Masi, be told the reasoning behind a decision only to have the said decision reversed thirty seconds later in Horner’s favour.

I honestly believed their must have been a pre-agreed £5m code word in there somewhere…
  • Fretwired said:

Totally agree that Masi brought in onto himself but let's remember that it was Masi not Horner who made the decision.

He's made plenty of pro Merc decisions as well - even earlier this race when Hamilton left the door open and Max legitimately took the lead within the white lines. 

As I said earlier, he needs to go no matter what side of the fence you're on.