The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• brooom said:
    It's not going to happen, but it would be interesting to see the FIA's reaction to Mercedes leaving the sport over this "mistake".
    You gotta think it might make Porsche/Audi think twice..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5779
    brooom said:
    It's not going to happen, but it would be interesting to see the FIA's reaction to Mercedes leaving the sport over this "mistake".
    Probably not bothered. The FIA still seem to be convinced that the only team they need are Ferrari. Personally, I'd much rather see them go than watch the FIA bend over backwards to accommodate them. Ferrari's brand needs F1 much more than the sport needs them from where I'm sat.
    dazzajl said:
    brooom said:
    Probably not bothered. The FIA still seem to be convinced that the only team they need are Ferrari. Personally, I'd much rather see them go than watch the FIA bend over backwards to accommodate them. Ferrari's brand needs F1 much more than the sport needs them from where I'm sat.

I'm not sure anymore as F1 has changed - I think the Red Bull brand is more important to the FIA than any car manufacturer. It gets F1 in front of a younger audience and F1 gets associated with a dynamic brand that is into dangerous sports. Red Bull generates revenue for F1 via its promotional activities.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve just seen that and came here to post it. Can he hear himself? It’s genuinely amazing to me at the lack of self-awareness these people have. Like with Trump and Boris, it would be great if a journalist actually called them out on it and said something like “But that’s exactly what *you* did after Silverstone”, or something like that.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24460
    I’ve just seen that and came here to post it. Can he hear himself? It’s genuinely amazing to me at the lack of self-awareness these people have. Like with Trump and Boris, it would be great if a journalist actually called them out on it and said something like “But that’s exactly what *you* did after Silverstone”, or something like that.
    I'd love it if it went to Court and a Dutch judge found against RB.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I've never followed formula 1, but any sporting spectacle that can randomly negate a leading competitors hard won gains simply to create drama isn't worth the candle. I'll not be watching it ever again.

I support Wales in Rugby and I despair that we routinely lose to the All Blacks and the Springboks. Would I have the governing body level the playing field just to give us a winning chance to make for better telly? no. Not ever.

Surely there is a way to restart after a race stoppage such that accrued gains are maintained? Time penalties, enforced distances whilst following the safety car?

I know it didn't happen but what would have stopped RB from having created that self same situation by having Perez deliberately crash in the right place to force that situation?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    A deliberate crash to affect a result has happened before, it was discovered and the penalties harsh so even for red bull who are always happy to "push the envelope" when it comes to rules it would be a risky move.

I think *most* fans would have been happy if the SC procedures had been followed in the usual way no matter what the result (ie max had lost due to it finishing under SC, or Max had won after overtaking the lapped cars and then Lewis) rather than what actually happened.

I genuinely feel for Max - he loses here no matter what, if the appeal is successful and they change the title it wasn't his actions that caused the situation. If the appeal fails this title is forever tainted.

Either way I do not think that Max has driven a champions drive this year, I hope that improves next year.

• ColsCols Frets: 7074
    Ultimately, Formula One is a mixture of professional sport and entertainment business.  It simply would not exist in today’s form without the revenue generated from the entertainment value.

This year it’s increasingly pushed towards artificial entertainment.  I’m not in the camp of “Not going to watch it again”, but my interest has waned to the extent that I’ve been quite content just watching the C4 highlights for the past 2 years.

The finish to yesterday’s Grand Prix was a stage-managed farce.  It might be okay for professional wrestling, but not for anything that regards itself as a legitimate sport.  God only knows what Nigel Roebuck thought of it.

Still, I’m sure it’ll look great on Drive To Survive.  And that’s what’s important these days.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    Simonh said:
    A deliberate crash to affect a result has happened before, it was discovered and the penalties harsh so even for red bull who are always happy to "push the envelope" when it comes to rules it would be a risky move.

I think *most* fans would have been happy if the SC procedures had been followed in the usual way no matter what the result (ie max had lost due to it finishing under SC, or Max had won after overtaking the lapped cars and then Lewis) rather than what actually happened.

I genuinely feel for Max - he loses here no matter what, if the appeal is successful and they change the title it wasn't his actions that caused the situation. If the appeal fails this title is forever tainted.

Either way I do not think that Max has driven a champions drive this year, I hope that improves next year.

I honestly don’t think Max gives a shit how he won the title. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    No and neither do his fans (for the most part) it seems.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I don't think the decision will be changed but I think Mercedes will successfully sue the arse out of the FIA. How many millions are we talking? Anyone on here guess at some estimates?
    100m seems appropriate, isn't that what spygate cost mclaren?
  • It's tricky because they don't get paid for WDC positions like they do for WCC. But in marketing & PR benefits they must put a number on it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Merc have instructed Paul Harris QC

https://www.monckton.com/barrister/paul-harris-qc/

There's a list of his big cases there - including getting the Man City UEFA ban overturned.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    He was at the race yesterday, Merc were clearly expecting something to go down.
    Merc have instructed Paul Harris QC

https://www.monckton.com/barrister/paul-harris-qc/

There's a list of his big cases there - including getting the Man City UEFA ban overturned.

This may be more exciting than the race.

Simonh said:
    He was at the race yesterday, Merc were clearly expecting something to go down.
    I'm sure RB have someone there as well.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7074
    Ultimately Merc’s appeal will fail.  The decision has been made on who’s going to be World Champion this year, and it’ll just be a case of going through the motions to get the FIA to justify their decision.

I doubt Merc will try to sue the FIA either; there’s not much to be gained.

The potential impact is on long term involvement.  Every year there’s a board level discussion in Daimler Benz on whether or not to continue in F1.  This year the argument may be a lot more heated, and if the decision is to pull out then it affects one team directly and the engine supply of 40% of the grid.  And the interested parties of VW/Audi/Porsche may be dissuaded from entering a category where sporting decisions are made on the basis of how entertaining they might be.