The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• What might be some comfort is that this guy's VP is Robert Reid, who was Richard Burns' codriver in WRC. Always seemed a good chap with his head screwed on. Time will tell, I suppose. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4956
    What might be some comfort is that this guy's VP is Robert Reid, who was Richard Burns' codriver in WRC. Always seemed a good chap with his head screwed on. Time will tell, I suppose. 
    Hopefully Mike, you know how these things are!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    Maybe he’ll be given some bullshit “public service” punishment, like Max got after he tried to deck Ocon at the Brazilian GP?

I actually think that would be worse, and more demeaning, than a fine.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• The FIA can’t win this one. They risk pushing out one of the most successful drivers in history, at a height of his career who draws a massive audience and £££. Community service? What are they going to do, make him do it? What’s he got to lose?

The whole ordeal, season, end, new leadership, stewarding has been laid bare for all to see. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    edited December 2021
    I have been following F1 for many, many, years however, in a lot of ways the sport for me has lost a lot of its appeal. It has become far too political and sterile with its tombs of regulations. The ending of this years drivers championship was a major let-down. Both Lewis and Max lost out - with Lewis a potential 8th WDC and Max with the fallout surrounding his maiden WDC even though he did nothing wrong. The FIA, in particular the Race Director, messed up big time in my book. I'm hoping next years championship will be better.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • ColsCols Frets: 7227
    Cols said:
    Maybe he’ll be given some bullshit “public service” punishment, like Max got after he tried to deck Ocon at the Brazilian GP?

I actually think that would be worse, and more demeaning, than a fine.
    Sadly, ‘FIA public service’ is not cleaning out post-race bogs at Silverstone or anything like that.

Max completed his ‘public service’ by attending the FIA International Stewards Programme in Geneva.  I’m sure he participated fully, and certainly didn’t spend the two days picking his nose and updating his Instagram status.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6988
    Max Moseleys FIA "Public Service" was a totally different thing!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6283
    Insider PoV from a Mercedes deep-throat: https://www.autoracing.com.br/exclusivo-dude-o-titulo-foi-tirado-de-nos/

(Portuguese, but translates pretty well in Chrome.)

Most interesting bit: Mercedes considered taking the FIA to court (a real court), but decided not to do that, despite the legal opinion being that the case would be a no-brainer. Reason: Mercedes would be excluded from all FIA events until the case was fully played out. (I presume they would also have to have gone through the FIA appeal first, too.)

Obviously the maxim is 'not cutting off your nose to spite your face'. Perfectly sensible from a business PoV, even if it leaves a lot of people feeling hard done by.
    Here’s a thought experiment.  Lewis is obviously unhappy and disillusioned with how the season ended, and Wolff has said he “could not guarantee if Hamilton would continue to race in F1”.

I think this is just a spot of sabre-rattling by Merc, but if Hamilton does decide to hang up his helmet who would the team slot in?  Vandoorne’s the reserve driver, but I reckon the team would be looking for a higher profile driver.
  • Cols said:
    Here’s a thought experiment.  Lewis is obviously unhappy and disillusioned with how the season ended, and Wolff has said he “could not guarantee if Hamilton would continue to race in F1”.

I think this is just a spot of sabre-rattling by Merc, but if Hamilton does decide to hang up his helmet who would the team slot in?  Vandoorne’s the reserve driver, but I reckon the team would be looking for a higher profile driver.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they looked at DeVries. I doubt they'd want to pay any money to another team to break a contract, though I guess some drivers might be happy to pay that fee themselves to get in a Merc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 215
    edited December 2021
    Get Alonso in that Merc please!
    Emiel said:
    Get Alonso in that Merc please!
    I’d love to see Alonso in the Merc, but his bridges are well and truly burned there.  The Daimler Benz board still holds him personally responsible for the $100MM fine resulting from the 2007 season.
    Cols said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they looked at DeVries. I doubt they'd want to pay any money to another team to break a contract, though I guess some drivers might be happy to pay that fee themselves to get in a Merc
    If I recall, they paid Williams somewhere between £10-20 million to release Bottas when Rosberg unexpectedly quit.  
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    Ocon would be the prime option, managed by Toto and definitely a case of building for the future but Lewis isn't going anywhere
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4956
    I'd love to see Lando in there like

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I can't see Hamster bailing out, it's just hot air. He'll get over it once Toto has given him a hug, a hot, sweet, cup of tea, and told him he loves him.

If it does happen, I'd like to see Alonso in the seat, or Lando.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4621
    I dont think we'll be lucky enough to not have Lewis race next year
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    DesVegas said:
    Max isn't lucky enough to have Lewis race next year. It would be the only way he will win his first WDC
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4621
    Simonh said:
    DesVegas said:
    Max isn't lucky enough to have Lewis race next year. It would be the only way he will win his first WDC
    Well yes, there is that, where else would he park his car?