The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Speaking of contracts, looks like the Russian GP is going to be binned indefinitely...

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12556381/formula-1-terminates-russian-gp-contract-in-wake-of-ukraine-invasion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27884
    Excellent news. And a good opportunity to get a better track on the calendar too 

Turkey? Portimao? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ColsCols Frets: 7309
    I’d love to see another GP at Mugello, but seeing the empty slot is right after Monza I can’t see it being a commercially viable option.

Portimao would be the preferred option, IMHO.  It’s a nice circuit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9865
    Cols said:
    Just seen this...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-marko-partly-blames-lewis-hamilton/

I expect that the Ukraine invasion is Lewis' fault too, Dr Marko? :confounded: 
    So...

Horner says that Red Bull were the only team expressing support for Michael Masi
    Verstappen says the FIA "threw Masi under a bus"
    Marko says it's all Hamilton's fault

Jesus, can they even try to reach internal agreement on whose fault Masi's sacking is?  The teams, the FIA, arch-villain Hamilton? 
    As far as I can see the Masi did this all by himself.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Sky Germany saying Mazepin is out and new driver (probably Fittipaldi) will be in the car in Bahrain next week. 

Now they just need to paint the wings with a Ukraine flag while they get in a new title sponsor
    HAL9000 said:
    Cols said:
    Just seen this...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-marko-partly-blames-lewis-hamilton/

I expect that the Ukraine invasion is Lewis' fault too, Dr Marko? :confounded: 
    So...

Horner says that Red Bull were the only team expressing support for Michael Masi
    Verstappen says the FIA "threw Masi under a bus"
    Marko says it's all Hamilton's fault

Jesus, can they even try to reach internal agreement on whose fault Masi's sacking is?  The teams, the FIA, arch-villain Hamilton? 
    As far as I can see the Masi did this all by himself.
    Masi was certainly the architect of his own downfall.  But I’m quite sure that he had a strategic steer from the FIA and Liberty in his actions over the season with regard to the desired outcome; it just wasn’t intended to be so blatantly obvious.

So Verstappen’s probably right when he states the FIA "threw Masi under a bus".  No point getting shit on anyone else’s shoes whenever you’ve got such an obvious scapegoat.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    The FIA really do need to keep up - I’d already removed Mazepin from my F1 Fantasy team.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444

Helmet cams for the win.

This is awesome.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Aaaand he’s out.  Sorry @chillidoggy, I know you had high hopes for him.

Nikita Mazepin: Haas end driver's contract & partnership with Russian company https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60630464
    Ordinarily, I’m quite a kind, sympathetic guy, but I’m sure as shit not losing any sleep over the sacked son of a Russki billionaire.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4013
    edited March 2022
    So who do we reckon is gonna be in the spare Haas seat for 2022?

Fittipaldi didn't exactly set the world on fire when he last got a crack at it, but maybe he'll do better with a full season to settle? Piastri looks pretty rapid, but not sure how tied down he is with Alpine.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3229
    tFB Trader

Fittipaldi didn't exactly set the world on fire when he last got a crack at it, but maybe he'll do better with a full season to settle? Piastri looks pretty rapid, but not sure how tied down he is with Alpine.

Giovanzzi if Fittipaldi can't raise the funds. He's still got the most recent F1 experience AND is a Ferrari Academy Driver

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RiftAmps said:

Giovanzzi if Fittipaldi can't raise the funds. He's still got the most recent F1 experience AND is a Ferrari Academy Driver

Hasn't he signed up for a full season of Formula E? I'm guessing Haas don't have much spare cash lying around to be buying people out of existing contracts. Did Giovinazzi ever bring much in the way of funding to Alfa? 
    The seat will be Fittipaldi’s if he can bring the necessary sponsorship.  He’s the sensible choice as he’s integrated into the team and has the sim experience. If not, Steiner will be going down the list of other superlicence-eligible drivers who can bring some cash.

Giovinazzi never brought money directly to Sauber; he was there because of the Ferrari Driver Academy.  The original Alfa Romeo branding deal came with the catch that Ferrari dictated who was in the second seat.  I believe he’s got a get-out clause in his current contract that he can break free if he’s offered an F1 drive.

• Helmet cams for the win.

This is awesome.

That's bloody fantastic! Really gives the impression of speed and lack of grip, far more than I felt the original version did 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Great vid that. I'd almost like to see it a tiny bit less stabilised, but either way it's fantastic. They should put them in all the helmets all the time. Please?
  • Just watched Duel on sky...I've gone and reopened the wound...I'm tamping!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    I see Shell has just bought a shitload of Russki oil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60638255

Who do they sponsor? Oh, yes........Ferrari. 

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Horner says "Mercedes bullying" led to Masi's removal:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60651647

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Horner makes hilarious attempt to claim the moral high ground.  Fails miserably.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom