The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27884
    edited March 2022
    Testing again tomorrow I think? 

Merc rumoured to be bringing a massive update. @markr76 ; what have you been building?! D 

Also - Fantasy F1 now open and thread is live https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/223300/fantasy-f1-2022#latest ;
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Testing again tomorrow I think? 

Merc rumoured to be bringing a massive update. @markr76 ; what have you been building?! D 

Also - Fantasy F1 now open and thread is live https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/223300/fantasy-f1-2022#latest ;
    https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/105769/mercedes-comes-with-extreme-b-version-of-w13-in-bahrain.html

Rumours of the car having almost completely done away with sidepods?! Sounds pretty wild! 

Saw this mock-up doing the rounds on forums earlier: 

This year's DAS?
  • ColsCols Frets: 7309
    Well, that’s interesting.

When ground effect cars were banned at the last minute in 1983, Gordon Murray redesigned the Brabham in a mere 6 weeks, realising that the long side pods which accommodated the venturis were just generating drag and essentially removing them.

Now ground effect is back, Mercedes has responded by... removing the side pods?
    edited March 2022
    I first saw the super-slim sidepods idea mooted as part of El Plan for Alpine. I don't understand enough about aero to know whether it's actually feasible, but I can understand why, with the removal of the outwash concept - you'd want to allow as much air as possible to flow cleanly over the floor to the diffuser. Moving some of that drag upwards might be worth it if it buys you more downforce. 

I'll be surprised (and slightly disappointed!) if no-one has done something really punchy for this test. We'll see soon enough...

EDIT: I see Scarbs is cynically suggesting Merc will go bigger with the sidepods this week - presumably assuming the rumours are put about by the team as a red herring. AAARGHR
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349
    All this is well and good, and who doesn't like to see clever people coming up with ingenious ideas to gain an advantage?  This is F1 and honestly it's probably the best part.....   ......Just remember that this stuff does absolutely nothing for the actual racing on track!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24904
    Danish press are reporting that KMAG is first choice to get the spare Haas seat!

Only issue is his current Peugeot contract apparently.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Not his lack of ability behind the wheel?
    I think he's a lot better than his F1 results suggest. Unfortunately a Haas is never going to be the place to prove me right or wrong!

Yeah, he's not a bad driver - the utter shitness of the last couple of years of Haases made he and Grosjean both look worse than they are (and likely the same is true for Mick & Mazepin). He got Mclaren's last podium before it all went to shit for a few years, and did ok with Renault and the early Haas team.

In a choice between him, Gio and Fittipaldi, I'd pick K Mag any day - he knows the team too, which is a big help in a transitional year where development will be crucial.
    Grosjean has also shown that he is more than handy in Indycar.

It's been great to watch that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’m actually pleased to see cars which are visually distinctive.  It’s been a long time since one could easily tell cars apart from anything other than the livery.

Regarding Mazepin replacements, Haas has been quoted as saying "I think we’d obviously like to get someone with a bit more actual experience.  We just have to see what’s available."

This would naturally point towards Giovinazzi (assuming he can pull together the funding), but Magnussen would fit the bill.  Baby Schu has made noises about how he’d like an experienced teammate he can learn from, but he might not enjoy the kind of on-track ‘lessons’ Magnussen gives to his teammates.
    Grosjean has also shown that he is more than handy in Indycar.

It's been great to watch that.
    Yep, absolutely. The guy's an absolute star and already among the most popular Indy drivers because he has a great story and has pulled some fantastic overtakes. 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 370

I know nothing. I only see it in bits!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markr76 said:

Haha yeah, we all completely believe you... :P 
    markr76 said:

Genuinely though, this time round I’ve not seen the car built up. Although all the bits came though my dept. I’ve not seen it. I’ll see it tomorrow once it’s on track. I’ve been far to busy to pop over and see it. Even when bits need delivered across the main building. I’ve been getting one of the office bods to pop over. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markr76 said:
    markr76 said:

Genuinely though, this time round I’ve not seen the car built up. Although all the bits came though my dept. I’ve not seen it. I’ll see it tomorrow once it’s on track. I’ve been far to busy to pop over and see it. Even when bits need delivered across the main building. I’ve been getting one of the office bods to pop over. 
    Have you at least seen any sidepods? :D 
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1705
    Cols said:
    Horner makes hilarious attempt to claim the moral high ground.  Fails miserably.
    Never thought I'd see Horner's name in the same sentence as "moral high ground"  :)
    markr76 said:
    markr76 said:

Have you at least seen any sidepods? :D 
    Nope. Only in bits! All very hush hush, even at work. My usual contact in the model shop wouldn’t even talk. Even after 3 hours of torture!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Plus. I’ve worked in f1 for about 21 years now. I don’t bother trying to get a sneak peek like I used to. I’ll see the car once it’s on track. 
    Hopefully no-one walking about Brackley today trips over a pair of sidepods and says "Hey, does anyone know if these are important or something?"