The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    Perez has never been signed because he's fast.  

He has typically been able to do a decent enough job which has meant that teams would clamour for his huge Mexican sponsorship fund.

If he ever loses that, it will be an instant bye bye and thank you for your custom.

If he just starts to be a bit shit then for RBR it's purely a numbers thing.  If it costs them nothing and they still win it all, then keep the cash rolling in.

It's certainly not about whether anyone else could do a better job.  Literally 90% of the field and probably 80% of the F2 field could do a better job.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    You may well be right.

My previous thoughts of Lando being a LH/MV level driver driving beyond the ability of the car have been downgraded in light of Piastri's excellent performance this week pretty much matching Lando. So I can't really view that as why DR was so slow at McLaren.

Maybe he just needs a different environment? You know far better than me that at that level 1% of anything makes a massive difference.

I like him. I really hope he's fast and that he surprises some people.
    Following Oscar through the junior series suggests he's got serious leader/winner/champion potential. 

My read on DR vs Lando was just a shite car and DR is a Button/Rosberg level guy, while Mando has potential to be there with Lewis & Max. I may be wrong, obv but I'm looking forward to finding out!
    Mando!!!

After turning up in a beska... I mean chrome lid last week he deserves that!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting - Planet F1 (I know - I know) are reporting that DR's best lap in the RedBull today would have put him on the front row.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniel-ricciardo-silverstone-test-best-lap-report/

No mention of the actual tyres used, or track limits mind you!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    You may well be right.

My previous thoughts of Lando being a LH/MV level driver driving beyond the ability of the car have been downgraded in light of Piastri's excellent performance this week pretty much matching Lando. So I can't really view that as why DR was so slow at McLaren.

Maybe he just needs a different environment? You know far better than me that at that level 1% of anything makes a massive difference.

Following Oscar through the junior series suggests he's got serious leader/winner/champion potential. 

My read on DR vs Lando was just a shite car and DR is a Button/Rosberg level guy, while Mando has potential to be there with Lewis & Max. I may be wrong, obv but I'm looking forward to finding out!
    Mando!!!

This is the way! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4404
    You may well be right.

Mando!!!

This is the way! 
    Thanks to one of Katee Sackhoff's Instagram posts, I literally can't hear that now without wanting to reply "and so say all of us" :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Apparently the Red Bull staff were quite shocked the first time they put Ricciardo in the simulator after he came back from McLaren, and not in a good way.  Something had changed in the time in between, and the question was whether it was permanent or reversible.

Hopefully we’ll get to find out in Hungary.  De Vries has been quite unfortunate in that this year’s Alpha Tauri is an evil bastard of a car, which is absolutely what you don’t want as an F1 rookie.  A relatively benign car would have given more confidence for him to push without overdriving.  
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I reckon all the the hoo-hah about DR will be a flash in the pan. That said, I hope this isn't the case. But you can't win races just by smiling a lot and being a nice guy, ably demonstrated by Max, who does neither.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    He needs to absolutely slaughter Yuki in a way that makes even Marko feel sorry for him.

Anything less and it's game over at the end of the season. 

I don't think this is much about beating anyone else because the car is so bloody awful.

You may well be right.

Mando!!!

This is the way! 
    Thanks to one of Katee Sackhoff's Instagram posts, I literally can't hear that now without wanting to reply "and so say all of us" :lol:
    "So say we all" surely?

• ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Unconfirmed reports that Ricciardo’s fastest lap at the tyre test would have put him “on the front row of the grid” at last week’s Grand Prix.  That means he was within 0.2s of Verstappen’s time… or faster.

Now, tyres and conditions may have been different.  In any case, it was enough to make Whinger Spice immediately pick up the phone to Helmut Marko. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader
    Cols said:
    Unconfirmed reports that Ricciardo’s fastest lap at the tyre test would have put him “on the front row of the grid” at last week’s Grand Prix.  That means he was within 0.2s of Verstappen’s time… or faster.

Now, tyres and conditions may have been different.  In any case, it was enough to make Whinger Spice immediately pick up the phone to Helmut Marko. 

F1.COM reporting that the deal was done before the test, over the GP weekend.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

Oh Checo... 4 minutes into FP1....

He is not doing himself any favours!

Admitedly it's really wet, but still.. not a good look is it?!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14208
    I reckon all the the hoo-hah about DR will be a flash in the pan. That said, I hope this isn't the case. But you can't win races just by smiling a lot and being a nice guy, ably demonstrated by Max, who does neither.
    I never had Ricciardo down as a particularly nice guy, he seems to be a bit of a helmet in love with what he sees in the mirror and the smell of his own farts.

I never had Ricciardo down as a particularly nice guy, he seems to be a bit of a helmet in love with what he sees in the mirror and the smell of his own farts.
    Sooo... a racing driver?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14208
    Sooo... a racing driver?
    Yep, like an Aussie cricketer

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    Was it wet at the start?   He got tyres on the grass I think, looked like he just got it wrong.
    edited July 2023
    Was it wet at the start?   He got tyres on the grass I think, looked like he just got it wrong.
    Yeah, actually this was before it started raining - your'e right! Quite a big impact from a tiny mistake really. 

Still funny. Sorry Checo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJpeigaydM
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903

Yeah it's a poor error, no doubt feeling the pressure.  If anybody ever needed a good qualifying session tomorrow......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom