The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    I’ve had the opportunity to wear my race winners top twice in 1 week. I’m not used to this anymore!! It’s seemed like ages
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2807
    markr76 said:
    I’ve had the opportunity to wear my race winners top twice in 1 week. I’m not used to this anymore!! It’s seemed like ages
    Congrats to you and the team :) nice to see the car properly competitive and the team making the right calls. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    PhilW1 said:
    FFS!!
    Maclaren snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
    sThrew away an easy one - two :p
    Yup, feel awful for Lando and Oscar. Though Lando was more the architect of his own demise by missing the box on his stop. 

Really happy for Lewis though, a fantastic drive that one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    markr76 said:
    Congrats to you and the team :) nice to see the car properly competitive and the team making the right calls. 
    Thankyou. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    Best race in ages 
    I actually got a wee bit emotional for lewis at the end. 
    Very much in the Anyone But Max camp this season but to see Lewis take that races was superb 
  • PennPenn Frets: 779
    That was brilliant. Wish George had finished and been on the podium but great to see 2 British drivers in the top 3 again. 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 203
    Great to see Merc and McLaren back on form. It was amazing how much more pace the McLarens had compared to the Mercs when the rain came down heavier. 

I wonder if Hamilton will start regretting his decision to move to Ferrari. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    I was working this afternoon - deliberately avoided the result - and just watched a highlights show - OMG what a race.   I was holding my breath for the last few laps - willing Lewis to get to the finish.  Well deserved win

Great to see that the Red Bull dominance is well and truly over.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4909

Just watched the highlights, as I had a gig starting at 3pm and missed the race  :s

The Sky highlights are great, start straight away and nearly the full hour is racing.

What a good race, seemed to have everything.
    Maclaren had 2 bad calls today with missing the double stack and going for softs but it was all so close, just glad to see it blown wide open.
    Pity GR had to retire, but definitely seemed like it was always going to be Hamilton’s day.
    Really happy for him, but with Ferrari not doing great atm and Merc finally winning again has he made the wrong decision?

Just watched the highlights, as I had a gig starting at 3pm and missed the race  :s

The Sky highlights are great, start straight away and nearly the full hour is racing.

Maclaren had 2 bad calls today with missing the double stack and going for softs but it was all so close, just glad to see it blown wide open.
    Pity GR had to retire, but definitely seemed like it was always going to be Hamilton’s day.
    Really happy for him, but with Ferrari not doing great atm and Merc finally winning again has he made the wrong decision?

Ferrari are the right choice if he wants to drive a Ferrari. They are the oldest team on the grid and have a cult/aurora/vibe around them. 

If he wants to win 8th title then probably the wrong choice. Ferrari are fundamentally shit and have been for nearly 20 years. They aren’t winners and he’s an old man now in terms of F1.  

I’m super pleased Lewis won today. He’s a great driver and I like him.  
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4909
    Penn said:

Ferrari are the right choice if he wants to drive a Ferrari. They are the oldest team on the grid and have a cult/aurora/vibe around them. 

If he wants to win 8th title then probably the wrong choice. Ferrari are fundamentally shit and have been for nearly 20 years. They aren’t winners and he’s an old man now in terms of F1.  

Yeah, I get that.  If it's something he's always dreamed of doing, then there's nothing that can replace sitting in the Ferrari.
    Everybody needs a new challenge and envirinment at some stage.

But if Merc get it together as they look to be doing so, it's going to be difficult for him to see Merc challenging while he's scrapping 2 rows back. 
    Penn said:

Yeah, I get that.  If it's something he's always dreamed of doing, then there's nothing that can replace sitting in the Ferrari.
    Everybody needs a new challenge and envirinment at some stage.

But if Merc get it together as they look to be doing so, it's going to be difficult for him to see Merc challenging while he's scrapping 2 rows back. 
    Two rows back? I like the optimism! :) 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Caught up with British GP earlier. That’s the first properly exciting race I’ve seen for a long time. Shame for George and Lando but well done Lewis. You could see how much the win meant to him. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Wow!  What a race, and a great win for Hamilton using both speed and cunning.

Red Bull’s technical advantage has clearly been eroded; the rain and low temperatures were quite peculiar to Silverstone, but even without that it’s obvious that the other teams have caught up.  Which gives them a major problem with the second driver.

Perez is clearly not the guy to have in there.  Beaching it in qualifying and starting at the back was unfortunate, but even after that he failed to make any significant progress through the field in a top flight car.  Reportedly he’s now triggered a break clause in his contract by falling more than 100 points behind Verstappen, so they’re free to get rid of him if they want.

But for who?  Ricciardo’s not fast enough either.  Lawson has a test on Thursday, but he’s as green as grass and hasn’t been racing since last year.  Verstappen would eat him alive.  Tsunoda is the logical choice, but for whatever reason it’s been decided that his face wouldn’t fit at Red Bull.

My guess (probably wrong) is that they’ll put the underperforming Ricciardo in the Red Bull for the rest of the year, stick Lawson in the RB to gain some more race experience, and if he does well enough move him up for 2025.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    edited July 9
    How embarrassing for Red Bull if they have to bin a driver they've just re-signed for 2 years, purely to keep Max onside. Mind you, like Horner they just brass neck stuff like that out, a team built in his increasingly disturbing vision. Chickens coming home to roost maybe.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Boromedic said:
    How embarrassing for Red Bull if they have to bin a driver they've just re-signed for 2 years, purely to keep Max onside.
    But probably quite relieved that they heavily laced the contract with break clauses.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    Cols said:
    Boromedic said:
    How embarrassing for Red Bull if they have to bin a driver they've just re-signed for 2 years, purely to keep Max onside.
    But probably quite relieved that they heavily laced the contract with break clauses.
    Absolutely!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    Allegedly Danny Ric's testing time at Silverstone last year would have been good enough to put him on the front row with Max. Maybe the Red Bull would suit his driving style better than the RB does, and we'd see the old Ricciardo again...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    From Reddit… 

Red Bull: Max, we’re going on hards.

Mercedes: Lewis, box for the soft tyre.

McLaren: Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind. Two of us will help you, whichever you would find. One among us seven will let you move ahead, Another will transport the driver back instead. Two among our number hold only til laps nine, Three of us are mediums, waiting hidden in line.  Choose, unless you wish to stay P2 for evermore, to help you in your choice we give you these compounds four.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8104
    From Reddit… 

Red Bull: Max, we’re going on hards.

Mercedes: Lewis, box for the soft tyre.

McLaren: Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind. Two of us will help you, whichever you would find. One among us seven will let you move ahead, Another will transport the driver back instead. Two among our number hold only til laps nine, Three of us are mediums, waiting hidden in line.  Choose, unless you wish to stay P2 for evermore, to help you in your choice we give you these compounds four.

Genuine lol 
    Red ones are better.