Nice Things.

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    I had a sickle once. I found it in a shed. Old thing with a wooden handle. I sharpened the blade, and it just turned out to be really satisfying to use. I used it to chop back weeds and nettles. Kind of addictive in a weird way. 
    I was really wondering where this would end up by the time I got to "...satisfying to use". 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    I had a sickle once. I found it in a shed. Old thing with a wooden handle. I sharpened the blade, and it just turned out to be really satisfying to use. I used it to chop back weeds and nettles. Kind of addictive in a weird way. 
    I was really wondering where this would end up by the time I got to "...satisfying to use". 
    It was just some nettles and dandelions, honest! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16296
    when I had my smallholding, I used to cut the grass with a scythe. As you say, very satisfying plus you get to dress up in black and give the old folks of the village a real fright!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    when I had my smallholding, I used to cut the grass with a scythe. As you say, very satisfying plus you get to dress up in black and give the old folks of the village a real fright!
    I'd love a scythe. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16296
    VimFuego said:
    I'd love a scythe. 
    I used to be part of the scything community (yes, there really is such a thing, you can look on youtube and everything) and there are quite a few groups who go out and scythe in places for fun.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    Scythes are the murder weapon of choice for most cereal killers.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20307
    VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    I'd love a scythe. 
    I used to be part of the scything community (yes, there really is such a thing, you can look on youtube and everything) and there are quite a few groups who go out and scythe in places for fun.
    It's quite a skill. I used to do a bit many years ago on the farm where I worked.
    In 'Poldark' Aiden Turner got the technique all wrong, but just try telling a woman that...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited November 2023
    VimFuego said:
    I'd love a scythe. 
    2 or 3 of my maternal uncles lived with gran on a tithe farm -  lots of really old tools in sheds/barns/outbuildings etc when growing up late 60s/early 70s -  gurt big two man saws, scythes  all sorts
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11589
    VimFuego said:
    You don't live in Midsomer, do you? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    I'd love a scythe. 
    Putting all my guitars and pedals out with the recycling tomorrow - I've found my hobby!

Been nice knowing you all. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 441
    Suggestions for simply nice things you say? I used to love my Zippo but there are better ways now.
    I'd probably go with Carhartt pocket T shirts, old bottles found in river beds or dirt, good tools was a good shout.

A really nice set of vintage chisels is a joy, a moment of silence, re reading a book you really love.
    There's loads of really nice things, it's up to you to find your own.
  • Offset said:
    Leatherman multitool.  Indispensable and beautifully made.  Feel nice in the hand.
    Exactly this. I bought mine in Salcombe in the 80’s and I still use it every week. Still in its little leather case and the knife blade is as sharp as the day I got it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Used, but not worn-out, climbing rope. It's lost its initial stiffness so is nice to handle, but hasn't got fluffy yet.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6285
    A long handled axe. I have a nice Fiskers one, X25, and I like to walk around my garden swinging it, or with it slung over one shoulder. I might even split a log with it.  Very satisfying and comforting. Sits well in the palm.

• randellarandella Frets: 4667
    edited November 2023
    Have we done Maglites yet? My parents have recently bought one to replace their old incandescent model. It's an LED effort in anodised blue. Large, not very practical, and you have to keep it topped up with D cells.

Also I live in a city where I've never known it be dark.

Doesn't stop me wanting one.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3847
    I have Japanese handmade bokken (wooden training sword) and jo (4' staff) for aikido. I've had them about ten years, so they both have a few dents but are beautifully worn in from a combination of use and maintenance (occasional sanding and oiling). You can tell it was made by someone who understood the use of such things. 

I'm fond of my Sabatier chef's knife. It has a lovely heft. It makes chopping vegetables a joy. Even though it has seen better days. 

Two of my guitars: American Pro Tele and a Taylor nylon. Perfect necks. Sound good. Do what I need. 

• I have a mattock, it's a mini one, just that basic brand that make tools in yellow and black, but I really enjoy it (though there aren't enough jobs that I encounter in my day to day life that require its fairly limited use case)
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1536
    Kilgore said:
    Timcito said:
    The old fountain pens, the good ones. The sensation of ink on paper through a smooth-edged gold nib was a pleasure. The writing looked great, too. 
    Unless you're left handed in which case it's an unreadable smudged mess.

I hated fountain pens in school. 
    i'm gammy handed. i settled with turning the page side on and writing down the line instead of across. Looks slanted to the left but no smudge.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1038
    I've not used fountain pens or refillable types really, but I used to draw quite a lot when I was younger and always enjoyed getting a new set of pencils, or I liked fine line pens, and a nice sketch pad.
    I still keep some in a drawer but unfortunately inspiration doesn't strike as often these days. 
    Going to go draw something! 
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29784
    edited November 2023
    randella said:
    Have we done Maglites yet? My parents have recently bought one to replace their old incandescent model. It's an LED effort in anodised blue. Large, not very practical, and you have to keep it topped up with D cells.

Also I live in a city where I've never known it be dark.

Doesn't stop me wanting one.
    Torches are quite a rabbit hole. I just bought a Nebo Torchy 2k, which is USB rechargeable, and at full tilt puts out 2,000 lumens. Nearly ten times the Maglite. For £22.

Maglites are nice though. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."