Nice Things.

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    edited November 2023
    Snap said:
    A long handled axe. I have a nice Fiskers one, X25, and I like to walk around my garden swinging it, or with it slung over one shoulder. I might even split a log with it.  Very satisfying and comforting. Sits well in the palm.

Axes... scythes... bladed multitools... this is a revealing thread 

* EDIT - and fountain pens...

Ten Murders-by-Pen in Movies  CrimeReads
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9001
    My brass belt buckle is on its third leather belt. It was sand cast by a North American Indian, who I bought it from in Seattle in 1977. I’ve worn it everyday since, except when I was in a suit.

This is the modern equivalent:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh, knives are fun. I have a QuietCarry Drift which is a lovely bit of kit. I'm not 100% sure if they're legal in the UK with the locking blade? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20307
    Snap said:
    A long handled axe. I have a nice Fiskers one, X25, and I like to walk around my garden swinging it, or with it slung over one shoulder. I might even split a log with it.  Very satisfying and comforting. Sits well in the palm.

Fiskars X-27 is the one you want, 36" against the 28" of the X-25.
    Superb splitting axes & I do so love swinging an axe  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16296
    I have a mattock, it's a mini one, just that basic brand that make tools in yellow and black, but I really enjoy it (though there aren't enough jobs that I encounter in my day to day life that require its fairly limited use case)
    a few months before we moved down to Devon, Mrs F decided she wanted to sow some wiid flower on her parents' grave. However, the useless grave diggers had put the soil back wrong (they'd put all the clay sub soil on the surface) and it had set like concrete. There was no way a fork or spade would even make a dent in it, so I went home to get my heavy duty mattock and shovel. It turns out carrying a mattock and shovel through a graveyard gets you more than your fair share of odd looks!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You can buy LED replacement bulbs for old Maglites. I have them for my 3 & 4D cells.
    Honestly though, cheap modern LED torches will outperform them & are amazing value, which is rather annoying if like myself, you also bought an LED Lenser a few years ago...  B)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4667
    You can buy LED replacement bulbs for old Maglites. I have them for my 3 & 4D cells.
    Honestly though, cheap modern LED torches will outperform them & are amazing value, which is rather annoying if like myself, you also bought an LED Lenser a few years ago...  B)
    I lost a LED Lenser at a festival. Was a bit pissed off!

I've got a few 18650 cheapos which probably kick out as much light as the parents' Maglite. I just love the look and feel of the thing, it's like the Zippo mentioned above - a classic for sure.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29784
    I have a mattock, it's a mini one, just that basic brand that make tools in yellow and black, but I really enjoy it
    Roughneck? I have their mini mattock and it is excellent. Dug out a load of bamboo in just a couple of hours. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3847
    edited November 2023
    Ooh, knives are fun. I have a QuietCarry Drift which is a lovely bit of kit. I'm not 100% sure if they're legal in the UK with the locking blade? 

Not legal to carry around, at least. 

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/help-advice/safer-communities/knife-crime/knives-and-the-law/#:~:text=Lock knives are not classed,a screwdriver or can opener

Looking at the list, it's not entirely accurate. Thee are circumstances where it is legal to own a katana outside of the criteria stated there. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10260
    edited November 2023
    Sporky said:
    I have a mattock, it's a mini one, just that basic brand that make tools in yellow and black, but I really enjoy it
    Roughneck? I have their mini mattock and it is excellent. Dug out a load of bamboo in just a couple of hours. 
    Yes that's the one I think, having googled it. I bought it when I was helping to install a replacement fence in my old garden - there were some troublesome tree and shrub roots which were right in the way (also one of the reasons the old fence came down). My gardener neighbour who's physically "built like a brick shithouse" to use the technical term, was good with his axe and pickaxe, however because of the angles and position my mini mattock did much more of the work. It seems to be suited to those of us who are blessed with persistence and patience, more than those who are blessed with strength
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Sporky said:
    Yes that's the one I think, having googled it. I bought it when I was helping to install a replacement fence in my old garden - there were some troublesome tree and shrub roots which were right in the way (also one of the reasons the old fence came down). My gardener neighbour who's physically "built like a brick shithouse" to use the technical term, was good with his axe and pickaxe, however because of the angles and position my mini mattock did much more of the work. It seems to be suited to those of us who are blessed with persistence and patience, more than those who are blessed with strength
    Technique always beats sheer brawn. Also a Silky Fox 'Gomtaro' is a superb tool for a bit of non professional rooting about  ;)
  • Quality sewing needles are a thing of beauty. Most that you find in haberdashery shops are awful.. 
    They should be tapered at both ends, sharp, and with no burrs, gliding through the fabric… and the right thickness and length for the task….

Ohhh and scissors …. So many different ones for different jobs from tailoring shears to fine embroidery snips.
    I remember a salesman coming to the door, you know the ones selling dusters and clothes pegs etc. He tried to sell me a pair of scissors. As a seamstress I have quite a few before you get on to kitchen or gardening ones.
    After a bit of banter I had to tell him I probably had 14 pairs of scissors….. he backed away slowly down the path
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a diary from when our band toured Germany back in the ‘90’s. Every time I read it I’m taken back to a time of happiness, innocence and naivety(even more so than now).
       I have a key ring that is a pouch to put your plectrums in, it makes me happy.
       My old 335 and AC50 are the nicest things I have ever owned. Jeez, so fucking fortunate.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 652
    My mum has a set of technical drawing tools that belonged to my grandfather. I'm not exactly sure how old they are, I'm guessing 1940s. I have no idea what to do with them, but they are really nice to look at and handle.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 715
    This thread. Well, I have been in an awful mood the last few days and feeling really dreadful so this is helping.

Pentax Cameras, old and new(ish). Have a brace of Spotmatic Fs (one of which my dad bought new in the early 70s and I have the receipt still!) that are really nice to use and handle. The newish K3II is also really solid and top notch. Just fell away from photography the last few years............... My brain hates me.

Husqvarna professional level chainsaws. Have an old 390XP and while battered and probably in need of a serious overhaul is really satisfying to use. Oh and indeed the Fiskars splitting axe had been my best purchase for many a year. Just works, unlike the cheaper varieties.

Technique always beats sheer brawn. Also a Silky Fox 'Gomtaro' is a superb tool for a bit of non professional rooting about  ;)
    I couldn't work out from that sentence whether it was a gardening implement or a sex toy. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    they sell sex toys in Tesco  on the chemist section !!
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Seems more appropriate than the gardening section.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a garden that isn't overlooked, after all. 
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1112
    A nice bottle of Pol Roger 
    Sporky said:
    I couldn't work out from that sentence whether it was a gardening implement or a sex toy. 
    With care, it could have multiple uses.