Nice Things.

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10022
    Not overly pricey, but I do like a Lamy pen.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29784
    I like a nice notebook  , exercise book etc but when I get them I don’t like to use them
    I really like dot-grid paper. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3731
    randella said:
    Have we done Maglites yet? My parents have recently bought one to replace their old incandescent model. It's an LED effort in anodised blue. Large, not very practical, and you have to keep it topped up with D cells.

Also I live in a city where I've never known it be dark.

Doesn't stop me wanting one.
    I have the very same one, ML300L , they are great things, I live in the sticks and use it regularly, as both a torch and a weapon.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmo said:
    randella said:
    Have we done Maglites yet? My parents have recently bought one to replace their old incandescent model. It's an LED effort in anodised blue. Large, not very practical, and you have to keep it topped up with D cells.

I have the very same one, ML300L , they are great things, I live in the sticks and use it regularly, as both a torch and a weapon.
    An elegant torch of a more civilized age?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    randella said:

I wouldnt say it was elegant , no , I think of it more as a tool, it gets the job done and will continue to do its job for many many years to come.
    Its a good torch as well.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25278
    Puzzles.
    Little wooden, carefully crafted puzzles.

I have a small collection of them. I did have a larger collection but I tend to give away the ones the really basic ones unless they are particularly beautifully made.

It doesn't matter that I've figured out how to do them, they are still ace.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• DominicDominic Frets: 16437
    Flicknife 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    edited April 3
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    randella said:

I wouldnt say it was elegant , no , I think of it more as a tool, it gets the job done and will continue to do its job for many many years to come.
    I wouldn't call them elegant either.  I have an ML300L as well as my minis and it's very nicely made however.  Feels good in the hand.  Sadly, mine appears to have undergone Gibson levels of QC as it conked out for reasons unknown some years ago (and before anyone asks, no - the batteries aren't dead :-) )
    Offset said:
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    randella said:

I wouldn't call them elegant either.  I have an ML300L as well as my minis and it's very nicely made however.  Feels good in the hand.  Sadly, mine appears to have undergone Gibson levels of QC as it conked out for reasons unknown some years ago (and before anyone asks, no - the batteries aren't dead :-) )
    Im sorry to hear yours broke, its not in display mode is it? They really are well made and durable, mine spent a long time rolling around in the back of my land rover. I cant make out if the lens is glass or plastic, I think its plastic. the only drawback is the cost of batteries, 3 d cells arnt cheap, tesco only sells packs of two.. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1038
    Dominic said:
    Flicknife 
    Not got one of those, but I do like a nice knife. 

I still have one that my dad bought about 70 years ago. A kind of general fixed blade with leather sheath. Hardly been used. 
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 707
    Dominic said:
    Flicknife 
    I have a Leatherman Skeletool. As a multitool it's dreadful, an ergonomic disaster.
    But, I keep it because the one hand opening, locking knife blade is excellent. Definitely qualifies as a nice thing.
    (shame I can't carry it outdoors, the locking blade would get me arrested)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20307
  • ewalewal Frets: 2755
    I like a good Black n Red notebook for work. Digital note taking just isn't the same...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, thanks, wasn't planning on buying one just thought it looked cool. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20307
    Kurtis said:
    Ah, thanks, wasn't planning on buying one just thought it looked cool. 
    Yep, no fun to be had these days. I used to regularly carry a 5 inch sheath knife on the street.
    Never stabbed anyone, not even in self defence or after I was not respected.

I was in a national organised street gang called 'The Boy Scouts'...
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3400
    edited April 3
    Zippos are all but impossible to beat when it comes to lighters, I have 4 - I actually used to have hundreds of them when I used to collect them, two that I've used for close to 30 years before I retired them, these are just the plain stainless steel and a brass one, and 2 that where purchased recently, one of which is from their ''armor'' series.  Though they are not as good value for money as they used to be, I still think that they are extremely good value for what they cost.
    Zippos are all but impossible to beat when it comes to lighters, I have 4 - I actually used to have hundreds of them when I used to collect them, two that I've used for close to 30 years before I retired them, these are just the plain stainless steel and a brass one, and 2 that where purchased recently, one of which is from their ''armor'' series.  Though they are not as good value for money as they used to be, I still think that they are extremely good value for what they cost.
    I think the basic ones are OK considering how long they last but some of the fancier ones are a bit pricey. 

What's the difference with the armour ones? Just heavier cases? 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3400
    Kurtis said:
    I think the basic ones are OK considering how long they last but some of the fancier ones are a bit pricey. 

What's the difference with the armour ones? Just heavier cases? 

They're not just heavier cases, the armor series is also a lot thicker, the walls of the armor lighter cases are easily over 4 times thicker than the standard Zippos, which means they're also bigger, so much so that they don't don't fit into any of the display stands or cases that Zippo sell, like this one - notice it states that the armor series of lighters don't fit in it, and the armor lighters are extremely tight fits for the leather lighter pouches that Zippo sell.  The armor series can basically be summed up as ''the G-Shock of Zippo lighters'', they are made to a far far higher quality and toughness, the case that is not the insert the inserts are actually identical across the board, than the standard and reissue Zippos.
    Cheers CG.