Nice Things.

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Those Japanese wooden boxes that only open with the correct combination of little slidey bits, they are great
    I love that stuff.

I have a collection of tiny wooden puzzles from all over the place.
    I'm fascinated by them.

They are also excellent for family gatherings that might get heated.

I just put them out and announce that I can't solve them. That usually means the problematic people get stuck in to prove they are best.

Keeps them quiet for ages.

Tactics! 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Sporky said:
    randella said:
    Have we done Maglites yet? My parents have recently bought one to replace their old incandescent model. It's an LED effort in anodised blue. Large, not very practical, and you have to keep it topped up with D cells.

Also I live in a city where I've never known it be dark.

Doesn't stop me wanting one.
    Torches are quite a rabbit hole. I just bought a Nebo Torchy 2k, which is USB rechargeable, and at full tilt puts out 2,000 lumens. Nearly ten times the Maglite. For £22.

Maglites are nice though. 
    Just don't let the batteries corrode inside.

Almost impossible to get the damn things out to clean it if that happens.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had maglites when they were the best around but these days just have a couple of different size LED Lenser ones (P7 and a couple of small single-battery models). Phenomenal torches for bugger all money in the scheme of things. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    VimFuego said:
    I had a sickle once. I found it in a shed. Old thing with a wooden handle. I sharpened the blade, and it just turned out to be really satisfying to use. I used it to chop back weeds and nettles. Kind of addictive in a weird way. 
    when I had my smallholding, I used to cut the grass with a scythe. As you say, very satisfying plus you get to dress up in black and give the old folks of the village a real fright!
    You don't live in Midsomer, do you? 
    I didn't get this joke for ages, but I saw the film last night on TV. 

Needless to say, me and the girlfriend have booked up for next May! 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    I had maglites when they were the best around but these days just have a couple of different size LED Lenser ones (P7 and a couple of small single-battery models). Phenomenal torches for bugger all money in the scheme of things. 

Soooo randomly, this is now in my basket after watching a few reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BNN9GQFT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3LYJZO8D5777L&psc=1

It seems amazing !
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19797
    I have a Nitecore Tube on my keyring, great little featherweight torch  https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-nitecore-tube-v2-0-rechargeable-keychain-flashlight-black.htm
    For sheer value for money I rate these little 18650 torches. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torches-LETMY-Flashlight-Adjustable-Camping/dp/B07MHX3TJL/ref=sr_1_5?
     I live rurally & frequently suffer from storm related power outages so have a few of them dotted around the house rather than be stumbling about looking for my 'good' torch  ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    A nice walk with the dog - Followed by a good latte with a tray bake - Better still if I can sit outside (wherever that might be) and no matter what the weather is, providing I can sit down and drink my coffee in the dry 
  • Offset said:
    Leatherman multitool.  Indispensable and beautifully made.  Feel nice in the hand.
    Have a mini version with me all the time 
    Used almost daily 
    I have a PST II that my partner bought me as a present in 2001. It still works fine and has a nice well used feel to it and its leather case.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 325
    VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    I had a sickle once. I found it in a shed. Old thing with a wooden handle. I sharpened the blade, and it just turned out to be really satisfying to use. I used it to chop back weeds and nettles. Kind of addictive in a weird way. 
    when I had my smallholding, I used to cut the grass with a scythe. As you say, very satisfying plus you get to dress up in black and give the old folks of the village a real fright!
    I'd love a scythe. 
    I used to be part of the scything community (yes, there really is such a thing, you can look on youtube and everything) and there are quite a few groups who go out and scythe in places for fun.
    It's quite a skill. I used to do a bit many years ago on the farm where I worked.
    In 'Poldark' Aiden Turner got the technique all wrong, but just try telling a woman that...
    I found a scythe in a friend's barn, quite a few years ago, grabbed it and swung. What I didn't appreciate beforehand is that the blade carries a lot of momentum and is angled straight at your ankles, and there is no way of stopping the blade once in motion. The blade, in my case, stopped a few inches from my left ankle. I started breathing again, looked up to see my mate watching in horror, expecting his farm to be included in a list of statistics about hazardous places. So, yes, there is a skill and I never learned it. :D 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4431
    edited November 2023
    I have a Nitecore Tube on my keyring, great little featherweight torch  https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-nitecore-tube-v2-0-rechargeable-keychain-flashlight-black.htm
    For sheer value for money I rate these little 18650 torches. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torches-LETMY-Flashlight-Adjustable-Camping/dp/B07MHX3TJL/ref=sr_1_5?
     I live rurally & frequently suffer from storm related power outages so have a few of them dotted around the house rather than be stumbling about looking for my 'good' torch 
    I’ve got a Nitecore torch. It’s a P12GT. Great bit of kit. 

I will admit the main reason I bought it was its similarity to a light sabre!  

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Sporky said:
    randella said:
    Have we done Maglites yet? My parents have recently bought one to replace their old incandescent model. It's an LED effort in anodised blue. Large, not very practical, and you have to keep it topped up with D cells.

Also I live in a city where I've never known it be dark.

Doesn't stop me wanting one.
    Torches are quite a rabbit hole. I just bought a Nebo Torchy 2k, which is USB rechargeable, and at full tilt puts out 2,000 lumens. Nearly ten times the Maglite. For £22.

Maglites are nice though. 
    Just don't let the batteries corrode inside.

Almost impossible to get the damn things out to clean it if that happens.
    I did that.  I couldn't quite bring myself to bin the torch but I may as well have done.  It sits lifeless in a shed.
  • Sporky said:

Cheers for the heads up Andi @Sporky ; I are haz just taken delivery of a Torchy 2K. Not quite as elegant as my Maglite, but way brighter, and rechargeable, so betters!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    It's one of my favourite torches. 
    Erm, don't tell the others I said that. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2275
    Edward Green shoes.  

I would love a really nice chefs knife - one of those fancy Japanese knives would be nice
  • Callaham Tele knobs. These things are just lovely objects. 

In fact Callaham everything tbh. Just really nicely engineered hardware across the board. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5094
    edited April 2
    Sporky said:

Cheers for the heads up Andi @Sporky ;; I are haz just taken delivery of a Torchy 2K. Not quite as elegant as my Maglite, but way brighter, and rechargeable, so betters!
    And this great little torch just got my bag searched at Munich Airport security!  =)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    I like a nice notebook  , exercise book etc but when I get them I don’t like to use them 
      Sometimes Instart using them ,then end up ripping out the used pages so it’s like new ready to be used for something important
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    edited April 2
    You’ve been reading Ray Bradbury’s The Scythe (from The October Country collection) haven’t you?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it