Mr Bates Vs The Post Office

What's Hot

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1517
    JEM said:
    I spent a bit of time volunteering as a vaccination centre marshal during the pandemic and got chatting to a fellow volunteer who had recently retired from Fujitsu.

I half jokingly asked him about the Post office using Horizon and it turned out he'd been a project manager on it and was involved with the early investigation into the issues.

According to him "software doesn't make mistakes" and "the postmasters were all thieves". He'd seemed like a nice chap up until then. Whether he really believed that or was just still regurgitating the company line I never new. I never talked to him about IT again though.
    The thing about him making that statement, is that the story original broke to the computing press with a Fujitsu insider giving a lot of detail. Including how those on the project knew it shouldn't have been released and that the testers were saying it was full of bugs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I see over 900k have signed the petition to get Vennells stripped of her CBE!

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/strip-paula-vennells-of-her-cbe?share=3e2b091f-30a5-4e0e-83bd-af59e6a1498c&source=&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=

A shocking and quite depressing story really. 

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3080
    DefaultM said:
    So is a correct summary that all over the country there were hundreds of Post Offices where the figures didn't line up. They're all using the same computer system, employees are having issues with it, but instead of looking in to that they concluded it was some kind of conspiracy where all those unrelated employees were stealing? 

Erm... Why? How does that make any sense? Did they find evidence they were in contact or anything? 

You haven't worked on on government contracts or had to deal with them on a professional capacity have you?  To say the ''left hand is not talking to the right hand'' is a far off understatement, it would be more accurate to say ''that the left hand has no idea that the right hand even exists''
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19019
    More suggested reading from the only organisation that has been following the scandal for years, before the BBC Radio 4 series.
    Not that ITV haven't done a great service in raising the issue to a wider audience & putting pressure on the Government, but credit where its due, eh?  ;)
    https://www.private-eye.co.uk/special-reports/justice-lost-in-the-post
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/may/10/exposing-the-great-post-office-scandal-part-1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited January 7
    This story has made me so angry for years.
    It’s been a never ending nightmare for all these poor post office owners and this government as usual is not paying out what’s due and clearing these poor people’s names.
    It’s disgusting that it’s taken a TV film to bring it to people’s attention and now forcing this shite government to do what they were told.
    As for what  the chancellor said we’ve already paid out .what a wanker.
    The police need to start arresting and charging the people that did this and covered it up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 866
    The drama has done its thing for sure ... incredible story, sensitively and accurately portrayed on screen ... it's not surprising how we're all bent out of shape by it. Very compelling.

On the back of it I became aware of the Panorama documentary about it so I have watched that too. There are a few things in the docu that lend further weight to the cause. If you have watched the drama then you should watch this too:

Panorama, The Post Office Scandal: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0016t20 via @bbciplayer ;
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1504
    Really good TV - and a terrible story of injustice. Seeing Sunak scramble demonstrates the power of decent drama. More cynically, it gives the Tories a fighting chance at the election given their last-minute reactive actions.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14428
    tFB Trader
    Really good TV - and a terrible story of injustice. Seeing Sunak scramble demonstrates the power of decent drama. More cynically, it gives the Tories a fighting chance at the election given their last-minute reactive actions.
    That is obviously what they are hoping for 
    ^ Too little, too late...
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15635
    I'm hoping it looks like a party that is only capable of jumping on a bandwagon and is incapable of proactive action or leadership. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341
    VimFuego said:
    I'm hoping it looks like a party that is only capable of jumping on a bandwagon and is incapable of proactive action or leadership. 

I'm just waiting for him to blame Jeremy Corbyn.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    VimFuego said:

I'm just waiting for him to blame Jeremy Corbyn.

Not Cameron or Jo Swinson 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12007
    Well Vennells has just said she was handing back her CBE with immediate effect.  Not a minute too soon frankly.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1504
    Offset said:
    Well Vennells has just said she was handing back her CBE with immediate effect.  Not a minute too soon frankly.
    Good. Amazed, and very impressed, by the effect this programme has had. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12007
    Offset said:
    Agree - but unimpressed it took a bloody TV programme to shame the government and Vennells into action.  This has dragged on for years.  Absolutely disgraceful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Agree - but unimpressed it took a bloody TV programme to shame the government and Vennells into action.  This has dragged on for years.  Absolutely disgraceful.
    Agree - Just found out she was short listed to be the Bishop of London - A senior role in the C of E - She obviously has strong morals 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1371
    edited January 9
    More suggested reading from the only organisation that has been following the scandal for years, before the BBC Radio 4 series.
    Not that ITV haven't done a great service in raising the issue to a wider audience & putting pressure on the Government, but credit where its due, eh? 
    https://www.private-eye.co.uk/special-reports/justice-lost-in-the-post
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/may/10/exposing-the-great-post-office-scandal-part-1

Ian Hislop and co. must be a irritated given that Private Eye has been banging the drum on this saga for years... and the only thing that's finally resulted in the necessary action has been an ITV drama with that bloke from The Detectorists in it.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15635
    Offset said:
    it does show the power of art, and why it is important in any civil society. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7373
    All this probably partly explains why the woman that runs my local post office is such a miserable awful twat.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    Offset said:
    it does show the power of art, and why it is important in any civil society. 
    No worries, the Government have that covered too...
    https://educationbusinessuk.net/features/decline-drama-and-arts-schools
    https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2012/oct/30/defence-school-drama-arts-curriculum-ebacc
    https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/drama-teaching-in-schools-in-crisis-experts-warn