Mr Bates Vs The Post Office

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15635
    VimFuego said:
    Offset said:
    Well Vennells has just said she was handing back her CBE with immediate effect.  Not a minute too soon frankly.
    Good. Amazed, and very impressed, by the effect this programme has had. 
    it does show the power of art, and why it is important in any civil society. 
    No worries, the Government have that covered too...
    https://educationbusinessuk.net/features/decline-drama-and-arts-schools
    https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2012/oct/30/defence-school-drama-arts-curriculum-ebacc
    https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/drama-teaching-in-schools-in-crisis-experts-warn

well, it's no secret that totalitarian regimes throughout history have targeted artists etc. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19021
    ^ Should add 'utterly incompetent' to totalitarian...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    I’m halfway through watching it….I can’t imagine what the poor families have gone through. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 90
    edited January 9
    Haven't watched it yet but I intend to. The subject is interesting but I reckon I'd watch anything with Toby Jones in, he's brilliant. 
    He is brilliant in it- not mater what he is in within the first 2 minutes you forget he's acting , he just becomes the character 
    Whole heartedly agree. Brilliant actor. 

Watching the final episode tonight. Found myself getting more and more angry, particularly as it seems it's taken a TV dramatisation (a brilliant one at that) to push it to the surface in parliament.

Hopefully those affected will finally get some resolution. Way too late though and shouldn't have ever happened.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
    Am I right that I haven’t actually seen her acknowledge taht what she personally did was wrong?  I have seen her say that she is sorry for hurt that people suffered, but I have seen no acknowledgement that it was (and others) that were personally wrong in what they did ?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15635
    she probably genuinely doesn't think she's done anything wrong, like so many of these cases about corporate misdeeds, they will feel maligned and slandered and treated unfairly.  

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10342
    VimFuego said:
    she probably genuinely doesn't think she's done anything wrong, like so many of these cases about corporate misdeeds, they will feel maligned and slandered and treated unfairly.  

She's a sociopath like a lot of people in high office. Pretty much a requirement to get to the top nowadays.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    CaseOfAce said:
    More suggested reading from the only organisation that has been following the scandal for years, before the BBC Radio 4 series.
    Not that ITV haven't done a great service in raising the issue to a wider audience & putting pressure on the Government, but credit where its due, eh? 
    https://www.private-eye.co.uk/special-reports/justice-lost-in-the-post
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/may/10/exposing-the-great-post-office-scandal-part-1

Ian Hislop and co. must be a irritated given that Private Eye has been banging the drum on this saga for years... and the only thing that's finally resulted in the necessary action has been an ITV drama with that bloke from The Detectorists in it.
    I'm sure they're quite used to it after 60 years or so, it's quite amazing how many stories which were "broken" by mainstream journalists originally appeared in Private Eye, sometimes for years before anyone else took them up. 

I subscribed for a about 20 years and often shouted at the radio "We already knew!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    p90fool said:
    CaseOfAce said:

Ian Hislop and co. must be a irritated given that Private Eye has been banging the drum on this saga for years... and the only thing that's finally resulted in the necessary action has been an ITV drama with that bloke from The Detectorists in it.
    I'm sure they're quite used to it after 60 years or so, it's quite amazing how many stories which were "broken" by mainstream journalists originally appeared in Private Eye, sometimes for years before anyone else took them up. 

I subscribed for a about 20 years and often shouted at the radio "We already knew!"
    This is why I subscribe - the humour is funny to read, but the magazine is far more important than that, it's one of the few genuine investigative papers left and often pursues stories that the 'serious' press don't seem to want to bother with.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1504

Solid take from Hislop. Perhaps this will bring more attention to the excellent PE. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:
    CaseOfAce said:

This is why I subscribe - the humour is funny to read, but the magazine is far more important than that, it's one of the few genuine investigative papers left and often pursues stories that the 'serious' press don't seem to want to bother with.
    I like it and like Ian - Just don't have enough time to read every issue and absorb it 
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:
    CaseOfAce said:

I like it and like Ian - Just don't have enough time to read every issue and absorb it 
    Read it in the lavatory/toilet/loo/khazi, that way you have all the time & additional absorbency that you need  ;)
    Do it, do it, do it... https://checkout.private-eye.co.uk/SingleItem?Item=PEY&Prom=PEYE1613

I'm certain that Ian Hislop & the Private Eye team wouldn't mind how long you took :-D

From the latest (pre ITV) edition.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    p90fool said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    More suggested reading from the only organisation that has been following the scandal for years, before the BBC Radio 4 series.
    Not that ITV haven't done a great service in raising the issue to a wider audience & putting pressure on the Government, but credit where its due, eh? 
    https://www.private-eye.co.uk/special-reports/justice-lost-in-the-post
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/may/10/exposing-the-great-post-office-scandal-part-1

Don’t know if it gets a mention in the programme but apparently the first journalist to take an interest in the story worked for Computer Weekly. I guess not a journal that was going to break big stories but amazing for how long this was known/written about but people still going to prison, committing suicide,etc. The Tories now trying to align themselves with the public over this, what have they been doing for the last 13 years? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    For those that haven't yet totally OD'd on the whole thing, Radio 4 tonight at 8pm (repeated from 2020)  "Second Class Citizens: The Post Office IT Scandal"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000f5hb
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    Really good TV - and a terrible story of injustice. Seeing Sunak scramble demonstrates the power of decent drama. More cynically, it gives the Tories a fighting chance at the election given their last-minute reactive actions.
    You say that like there won't be at least 7 more tory scandals or disasters between now and the election 
  • Reverend said:
    Really good TV - and a terrible story of injustice. Seeing Sunak scramble demonstrates the power of decent drama. More cynically, it gives the Tories a fighting chance at the election given their last-minute reactive actions.
    You say that like there won't be at least 7 more tory scandals or disasters between now and the election 
    Ha!  Yeah, true. My jaded, pessimistic nature there.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    I am just in process of getting to grips with this but re Vennells- I have a simple solution

Add up the time served by all SPMs.

That's her sentence. 

Perfectly equitable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    I am just in process of getting to grips with this but re Vennells- I have a simple solution

That's her sentence. 

Perfectly equitable.
    You are right but the can had already been kicked down the road a bit before then - Even Ian Hislop and P Eye didn't get on to the story until a few years after it first started 

Part of me says that surely someone in the audit department must have sensed something was wrong - They sent in a team of walking suits to a number of Post Offices by then - All with the same 'issue' so surely the 'boss' in this sector should have noticed a stream of similar issues - Maybe they did and it was ignored above and after 

Lost the link now - It might have been in the long P Eye report - But an 'advisor' to an early post office internal inquiry, or a government sub committee inquiry , effectively reported that 'Mr Bates only has a small following so nothing to report and no threat/worry that needs any further investigation' - In other words we can shut up a bunch of 'no bodies' and ignore it all 

I dare say that as it has gone on that long and many have sat on various parts of the throne, be it PO or Minister Role for the PO (aka Jo Swinson) that many can/will blame others - As such no one person will get any 'public blame or sentence' - Hard to believe that as Jo Swinson + others knew about it, then surely so did Cameron etc 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Gassage said:

That's her sentence. 

Perfectly equitable.
    It needs to be more evenly distributed among all those at the Post Office and Fujitsu who were responsible, but there’s still probably plenty to go round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    The main question is still, who knew what and when?

IIRC it was briefly touched on in the drama where they found an email from Vennells (or possibly another senior manager) where they asked for clarification as to whether anybody could actually alter the figures, and it was revealed that although the PO couldn't, Fujitsu could.
    So who in the PO knew Fujitsu could do that, and when did they find out?
    Did the investigators know?
    And why weren't suspected accounts properly audited?

My hope is that the ongoing public enquiry reveals what actually went on, and who made the key decisions that resulted in all the wrongful convictions.