Last Dinner Party

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
The official next-big-thing (or the result of the record labels looking for the next Wet Leg) Last Dinner Party are currently headed for some conspicuous, if not quite Wet Leg level, success with their debut.

The fact their biggest song is far from radio friendly (she says "fuck" instead of just implying she is having sex with someone on a wonky sofa)...

Anyhow, they sound like Sparks had a baby with Siouxsie and Florence, great voice on lead singer Abigail (who is also very attractive in a quirky way), a lead guitarist who plays like she's Noel Gs kid, and some pretty decent indie anthems.

I'd guess the general feeling on TFB will be "this is rubbish, I'm off to listen to my Thin Lizzy albums", and that's cool - but anyone else a fan?!

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    Vocals are decent, very Kate bush influenced I'd say especially the second track.

Both tracks are quite similar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
    Kurtis said:
    Vocals are decent, very Kate bush influenced I'd say especially the second track.

Both tracks are quite similar. 
    Yeah I forgot to mention Kate Bush - they are clearly fans.

They do pretty straight "indie anthems" - my wife said "all their songs sound the same" lol!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    edited January 8 tFB Trader
    I had a listen the other day and though I think they are interesting from an image perspective I didn't really enjoy any of their songs. 

I saw their Glastonbury set and thought they sounded quite amateurish like the average Camden toilet circuit band you might see on a Wednesday night at the Water Rats. Apparently they got signed at their third gig so I imagine they will rapidly get better after they've had more opportunity to tour and develop their craft. 

That being said I wish them really well and hope they have lots of success because I think it's been the driest period for indie bands probably ever and from the doom and gloom coming from the music industry it doesn't seem like it's going to get better any time soon.

EDIT: Just listened to "Our Lady of Mercy" again and actually I think it's pretty good after a couple of listens. Still don't really like "Nothing Matters"
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    They are advertised to me on Facebook about ten times per day. I am hugely put off (I'm not sure I have a logical reason but nonetheless) bands that get relentlessly pushed to me on Facebook. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    They are advertised to me on Facebook about ten times per day. I am hugely put off (I'm not sure I have a logical reason but nonetheless) bands that get relentlessly pushed to me on Facebook. 
    They are definitely being sold as "the next big thing" a bit blatantly - obviously not their fault - but will doubtless incur some backlash.

As @monquixote pointed out - signed very early on (though their guitarist has apparently been in a couple of bands before) so very much getting up to speed.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 562
    edited January 8
    Been listening to them for a few weeks. They are pretty good but not blown away . Debut album released next month. Not sure its up there with Wet Leg. I'd also recommend checking out "Picture Parlour" who are probably more deserving of this level of media coverage . 
    bobblehat said:
    Been listening to them for a few weeks. They are pretty good but not blown away . Debut album released next month. Not sure its up there with Wet Leg. I'd also recommend checking out "Picture Parlour" who are probably more deserving of this level of media coverage . 
    Certainly will.

I like these guys as well - Bleach Lab (quirky female singer you see...) tried to buy their album on vinyl and it came loose outside the cardboard sleeve in a plastic one... scratched to buggery...

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1144
    I liked the single I heard on the radio, definitely a catchy tune and well arranged. Must have been shit being a young person during those covid/lock down years so it's good to see new bands coming out now (it wasn't great as an older person, but I can't help feeling I wouldn't wouldn't have taken it at all well in my early 20s). Good luck to them I say. 
  • There's quite a few influences in there, which is making it sound a bit cookie cutterish and uninspired in places, they ain't the Cocteau Twins or the Banshees, but I've certainly heard worse attempts at the genre they are going for.

You can't fault them for aiming high in going for sounding similar to the likes of Siouxsie and Kate Bush on the vocals, and since it does sound like that a lot in places, apparently pulling it off, at least vocally if not on some of the other instruments to any great effect. Be interesting to see what they do with a bit more time and playing under their belts. Good luck to them.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468
    edited January 8
    I'm not really picking up a Kate Bush vibe... in fact the verses on the first video reminded me of Kajagoogoo !
    I suppose the keytar didn't help (that really should have died off with Dream Theatre).
    Nothing matters is the radio hit right? 

The vocals are distinctive. Musically it's all over the place (I keep thinking back to that recent Andy Summers / Beato quote about how they got to the point where they could arrange any song to make it sound uniquely like The Police).

I wish them well...first time I've heard them - slightly put off by the media push / Brit Awards / BBC Sound of 2024 but...that's the music industry ... you don't a get support slot for the Rolling Stones unless you've got industry muscle behind you?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:
     ... you don't a get support slot for the Rolling Stones unless you've got industry muscle behind you?
    Nope, you don't.

Of course, they will all be in debt up to their bottoms with the labels and all the other compromises, but that's their choice of course.

Great to see a band of all women as well.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    That second track is very Sparks, nice short guitar solo as well. The first track is more of a hodge podge. I guess it’s not quite the jangly indie by numbers that I might have guessed. Bugger me though I need to hear something by musicians with some sense of groove. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    This one I just found is a bit different - I rather like it - perhaps it's the quirky lead singer's little outfit - who knows...

• There is a couple of quid been spent on them videos and that production. Someone is going to want there money back at some point soon - hope it comes good for them.....  I cant imagine buying there records - but I'd support anything (even as derivative as this) that has some personality compared to most of the turgid stuff in the charts.... also one of the guitar players is playing a St Vincent signature and although we all know signature models are lame - that gets a bonus point for me. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 705
    Designed for Glastonbury, and middle-aged men.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They get some additional points for playing a Rickenbacker bass.
    Litterick said:
    Lol... probably a good idea, us middle-aged men are the ones with spare cash for vinyl, gigs, merch etc.

Not sure Abigail would appreciate my pants thrown at her though...

Does that mean Sophie Lloyd is designed for download... and middle-aged men?

You may be onto something...
  • edited January 9
    Litterick said:
    One assumes they'll start endorsing Harley Davidsons and little rag top roadsters in their videos to really hit that demographic big time. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468
    edited January 9
    Litterick said:
    One assumes they'll start endorsing Harley Davidsons and little rag top roadsters in their videos to really hit that demographic big time. 
    Are vinyl owning middle aged Saxondale's really rubbing their legs Vic Reeves style when they see these videos?  =)
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:
    Litterick said:
    Are vinyl owning middle aged Saxondale's really rubbing their legs Vic Reeves style when they see these videos? 
    Joking aside - of course not.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom