Last Dinner Party

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12809
    I lament the lack of enthusiasm for older artists in modern music.
    Jazz and classical music never ignored older players and vocalists
    I'm not sure you could get the kids bopping along to musicians as old as their Dads for the most part.  Liam G has done fantastically well you could say, at doing so - but we all know it's because Oasis were so fucking good they have crossed a couple of generations.

Bear in mind, as you said "older", as was discussed up-thread, the world's biggest "bands" - as opposed to solo acts like TayTay and Sheeran - are all "legacy" acts these days.

Foo Fighters, Muse, Coldplay etc. are all in their late forties now - and there are no new artists coming through to replace them - hell, one of the most awaited guitar-based albums this year is "Liam Gallagher and John Squire" - working title "Ooh... me back's gone...".

LDP have got a gruelling schedule of touring to go through now - they won't see home much for a year - that's very much a game for the young.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    <snip>
    AFAIK the idea of being a professional musician, without any other job, is quite a new idea.
    I'd think that having a solid day job would protect a musician from being bullied into things by a record company or other pressures
    European musical history is full of composers who were funded by patrons and did little else for income apart from produce what their patrons asked for - potentially trying to sneak their own passions in under the radar.

I can only agree that having a day job stops you from being pressurised by record companies, venues, etc. That independence also protects you from them even being interested in you, because what's in it for them? 

One of the nice things about being an old, amateur guitarist in an original music band is that I know no-one will book us into their venue. It's purely a creative, vanity pastime for us all. 

If I wanted to get lots of paid bookings I'd be in a functions band or a covers band. If I wanted to get signed by a record company I'd be a lot younger and better looking. :-) 
    I know about the composers.
    I was meaning the actual playing of music - with no radios or CDs, all music was live.
    Each village and town and even family would have musicians, to cater for events at the pub, festivals, church etc.
    AFAIK this was usually a second income thing

That might be the case for villages but towns would typically have multiple dance halls with professional house bands.

Being a working musician earning a decent wage used to be a much more viable ambition.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13104
    I actually wonder if part of the weird feeling is simply that it’s been such a long time since a major label put real money behind any sort of new rock band in their early career we’ve collectively forgotten what that feels like? 
    As soon as I read your post my brain went "oh god, remember Menswear?" 

Thanks a fucking bunch  :p

;) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12158
    I lament the lack of enthusiasm for older artists in modern music.
    Jazz and classical music never ignored older players and vocalists
    I'm not sure you could get the kids bopping along to musicians as old as their Dads for the most part.  Liam G has done fantastically well you could say, at doing so - but we all know it's because Oasis were so fucking good they have crossed a couple of generations.

Bear in mind, as you said "older", as was discussed up-thread, the world's biggest "bands" - as opposed to solo acts like TayTay and Sheeran - are all "legacy" acts these days.

Foo Fighters, Muse, Coldplay etc. are all in their late forties now - and there are no new artists coming through to replace them - hell, one of the most awaited guitar-based albums this year is "Liam Gallagher and John Squire" - working title "Ooh... me back's gone...".

LDP have got a gruelling schedule of touring to go through now - they won't see home much for a year - that's very much a game for the young.
    I know some acts just keep going, I think I was more thinking of the fact that the initial success typically is mandated to happen before the age of 25

• MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 458

Dave Grohl is 55. Pat Smear is 64! The youngest Foo is 51. I forget sometimes how long these guys have been going for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Dave Grohl is 55. Pat Smear is 64! The youngest Foo is 51. I forget sometimes how long these guys have been going for.
    Well exactly - and nobody coming through now could match the broad appeal and charm of the Foos.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    The Last Dinner Party were on the 5 Live breakfast show this morning, which I assume means they were also on BBC Breakfast and possibly other programmes based in Media City.  They certainly have a publicity machine behind them.
    Philly_Q said:
    The Last Dinner Party were on the 5 Live breakfast show this morning, which I assume means they were also on BBC Breakfast and possibly other programmes based in Media City.  They certainly have a publicity machine behind them.
    They won the BBC's "Sound of 2024" - so can expect some reasonable Beeb support.
    Philly_Q said:
    They won the BBC's "Sound of 2024" - so can expect some reasonable Beeb support.
    You're right, they did mention that but I was zoning out...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13104

Its almost thirty years since Kurt died. 

I first saw the Foo Fighters twenty four years ago, when they were touring their third album. 

They've been around longer than many members of this forum I'd bet! 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1714
    If you are hearing about any band it’s because they have a publicity machine behind them of some sort 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I first saw the Foo Fighters twenty four years ago, when they were touring their third album. 

No, we are fucking old on this forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

No, we are fucking old on this forum.
    Yeah some forumites will remember the first ever appearance by the Foos on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964.

Jo Biden attended as an old man.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2684

Spotify recommending me Last Dinner Party briefly served as a reminder that you have to go looking for decent music. Which led me to a great band on the same record label as Greet Death.

So thanks Spotify and the TLDP marketing team!
    ewal said:

Spotify recommending me Last Dinner Party briefly served as a reminder that you have to go looking for decent music. Which led me to a great band on the same record label as Greet Death.

So thanks Spotify and the TLDP marketing team!
    Is there a band recommendation there - or did you just drop by to let us know your immunity to marketing?

I tried Greet Death and at an admittedly short exposure thought they sound like Smashing Pumpkins without the good bits - so we may need to look in different places anyhow!
  • Observations.

1. Making up a backstory/pretending you don't have Metallica's management team behind you, but instead that you're a regular, day-jobs band playing pub backrooms as part of the diy scene is, imo so very, very lame.

2. It baffles me that youngsters like such stodgy old pub-rock.

3. I don't think it's wise to be in a band if the idea of playing small venues and self-releasing/indie-releasing records doesn't appeal, since that's what the vast majority of bands do. Even if you get a major deal, I doubt most could afford to live on the income without a job for long, unless you MakenIt Big.

4. Being in a band, putting out records, playing gigs is AWESOME and I'll never understand how people aren't satisfied with that, and hanker after some now totally anachronistic dream of being Led Zep, or Fleetwood Mac. That world barely exists anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You won't get any idea of what young people like on the Fretboard, it's like looking for Dolphins in Trafalgar Square.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ..Seems some people other than me like them.

Number one album, sold more in their first week than Wet Leg...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19795
    You won't get any idea of what young people like on the Fretboard, it's like looking for Dolphins in Trafalgar Square.
    Everyone knows they're living in the fountain, ffs...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ..Seems some people other than me like them.

Number one album, sold more in their first week than Wet Leg...
    Wow, that's some yardstick.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom