Last Dinner Party

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12809
    Philly_Q said:
    ..Seems some people other than me like them.

Number one album, sold more in their first week than Wet Leg...
    Wow, that's some yardstick.
    Well they had a huge year as indie rocks new darlings, so for this sort of thing they are a decent one.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    Philly_Q said:

Well they had a huge year as indie rocks new darlings, so for this sort of thing they are a decent one.
    I was just winding you up.  I know you love Wet Leg. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is Wet Leg still a thing then? Or can there Only Be One Wet Leg, and it's now The Dinner Ladies?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2684
    You won't get any idea of what young people like on the Fretboard, it's like looking for Dolphins in Trafalgar Square.
    I spoke to some young people about them. They thought they were rubbish too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2684
    Philly_Q said:

Except they're not indie and never have been.
    ewal said:
    Philly_Q said:

They are signed to Island... so are as indie as Pulp ever were when they sold records, for example.

I'm not sure what labels have successfully punted bands to a number one album who are truly "indie" - even Dirty Hit who are the most successful I can think of work closely with UMG, as they don't have the resources a band like the 1975, Wolf Alice or Alt-J need for a global platform.

ewal said:
    You won't get any idea of what young people like on the Fretboard, it's like looking for Dolphins in Trafalgar Square.
    I spoke to some young people about them. They thought they were rubbish too.
    Well... with a definitive answer like that, I'd rest my case as well...

It could be that LDP got a number one album because everyone hates them, but after a while, it just seems like, as with everyone else who gets popular, all the people who are a bit less successful and don't get a bit of a 'tude about it.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1714
    I think Yardact newest song crosses this thread a bit. 
    edited February 12
    euan said:
    I think Yardact newest song crosses this thread a bit. 
    Ironically, also on Island records...

Edit: confused me for a while but "We Make Hits" you mean not the new one...

Great Song - Great band, though careful don't say they are indie for fucks sake...
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    edited February 12
    Hey, they are cool and hip and young enough with a low enough bmi to still be considered pretty. The music isn't great but what's that got to do with anything?
    Anyone that doesn't like them must be old and out of touch!

=) 
    Kurtis said:
    Hey, they are cool and hip and young enough with a low enough bmi to still be considered pretty. The music isn't great but what's that got to do with anything?

=) 
    Jesus Fucking Christ - so they would be OK by you if they all were obese?

Apart from an underlying casual misogyny (for women to be successful, it's all about the male gaze, when men are successful it's because they are talented) why not just let them release records and decide if they are any good based on how they sell... as music is a business and whether anything is good or not is a matter of opinion?

Ultimately, given a choice of success or no success but "credibility with people on the internet" - I'd take the cheques every damn time...
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468
    edited February 12
    ewal said:
    Philly_Q said:

They are signed to Island... so are as indie as Pulp ever were when they sold records, for example.

I'm not sure what labels have successfully punted bands to a number one album who are truly "indie" - even Dirty Hit who are the most successful I can think of work closely with UMG, as they don't have the resources a band like the 1975, Wolf Alice or Alt-J need for a global platform.

It could be that LDP got a number one album because everyone hates them, but after a while, it just seems like, as with everyone else who gets popular, all the people who are a bit less successful and don't get a bit of a 'tude about it.
    In 2024 discussing the merits of Indie vs. Corporate Rock sellout / radio friendly unit shifter bands seems ... redundant / quaint?

People still care about this?
    It was looking dated when Cobain was banging on about it back in the 90s.

HasJohn Peel been brought back from the dead to commend the anoraked hordes on their good taste as they flick thru the vinyl at their local record emporium searching out that illusive first pressing of Majesty Crush's only released album?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:
    ewal said:
    Philly_Q said:

In 2024 discussing the merits of Indie vs. Corporate Rock sellout / radio friendly unit shifter bands seems ... redundant / quaint?

People still care about this?
    It was looking dated when Cobain was banging on about it back in the 90s.

HasJohn Peel been brought back from the dead to commend the anoraked hordes on their good taste as they flick thru the vinyl at their local record emporium searching out that illusive first pressing of Majesty Crush's only albums?
    Quite.
    What age are you? '81 your birthday?
    edited February 12
    Kurtis said:

Jesus Fucking Christ - so they would be OK by you if they all were obese?

Apart from an underlying casual misogyny (for women to be successful, it's all about the male gaze, when men are successful it's because they are talented) why not just let them release records and decide if they are any good based on how they sell... as music is a business and whether anything is good or not is a matter of opinion?

Ultimately, given a choice of success or no success but "credibility with people on the internet" - I'd take the cheques every damn time...
    I don't give a crap what they look like (don't even know, was guessing), you've mentioned their looks though. Would you like them if they were obese? 
    Kurtis said:
    What age are you? '81 your birthday?
    What's that got to do with anything?

I'm just about old enough to be their Dads I suspect...

I remain an extremely young Fretboarder, honestly it's mostly why I'm here... ;)

Kurtis said:
    I don't give a crap what they look like, you've mentioned their looks though. Would you like them if they were obese? 
    I liked Gossip if that answers your question?

What makes you think I'm not gay? 

All I said was "she is very attractive in a quirky way", which I could equally say about a bloke in a band who clearly draws the gaze, or frankly a bigger lass.  Nobody else mentioned their BMI - that totally came from you BTW.

Looks, and the ability to draw the eye, are part of the job description.  Thom Yorke might not be a pretty boy in the Liam Gallagher mould, but you can't help but look at him when he's on stage.

edited February 12
    You don't get sarcasm very well do you?

Why would you maybe being gay have anything to do with anything? 

Since I started here I've noticed you keep mentioning the (old) age of the members. Was just trying to figure out why.
    You're 4years younger than me BTW.

I like a few new bands, just not this king of thing. Mainly rock/stoner. 
    Kurtis said:
    Since I started here I've noticed you keep mentioning the (old) age of the members. Was just trying to figure out why.
    You're 4years younger than me BTW. 
    Alright Grandad ;)
    Whippersnapper!
    Kurtis said:
    Whippersnapper!
    <virtual man hug> ;)
  • Reckon ANY forum is going to have older members; the youngsters aren't about forums. Forums are from the olden days of olde.