Last Dinner Party

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    I'd guess the general feeling on TFB will be "this is rubbish, I'm off to listen to my Thin Lizzy albums"
    Of course not, I don't really like Thin Lizzy much.

I think I heard something by this lot the other day, but there was also an interview with some other next-big-thing band whose singer was an actress and the guitarist (her husband) was also an actor, or something similar.  They might have been called The Wild Things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 242
    ....a lead guitarist who plays like she's Noel Gs kid, and some pretty decent indie anthems.

I checked out the band recently, and as a result youtube suggested some vids the guitarist had posted before being in the band...she's a very accomplished guitarist.

Just googled, they're mostly on her instragram page if you scroll down far enough, here's a bit of something jazzy and some shredding on a Suhr

As for their songs, I think this is really strong:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12809
    jhumber said:
    ....a lead guitarist who plays like she's Noel Gs kid, and some pretty decent indie anthems.

I checked out the band recently, and as a result youtube suggested some vids the guitarist had posted before being in the band...she's a very accomplished guitarist.

I'm sure she is - I didn't mean the Noel G reference as a slight (I'm a big fan and honestly think he is a great player in his own way).  

When I first heard "Nothing Matters" I honestly thought it was one of the best short pentatonic solos, the basis of nailing a good indie rock anthem, I'd heard in years.

Not sure if we will get a five minute solo at the end of their album, like everyone did back in 1998, but it would be cool if we did!

Given how rock music, and the perception of rock music, can be both sexist and misogynistic at times, it's great to see so many fantastic female fronted or all female bands out there at the minute.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Some turned up nose press person was saying they are a manufactured band no different to Take That, Spice Girls etc...

I just thought 'so what; move on to$$pot'.

Some turned up nose press person was saying they are a manufactured band no different to Take That, Spice Girls etc...

Well exactly.

A helluva lot of "serious" bands have had a lot of work done on their image, production... songs... most people aren't naiive enough to think otherwise.

Besides, who wouldn't kill to have Take That's greatest hits in their catalogue...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    Much like Wet Leg, I don't get it, but good luck to 'em. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    Some turned up nose press person was saying they are a manufactured band no different to Take That, Spice Girls etc...

Well exactly.

A helluva lot of "serious" bands have had a lot of work done on their image, production... songs... most people aren't naiive enough to think otherwise.

Besides, who wouldn't kill to have Take That's greatest hits in their catalogue...

Yeah it's kind of a daft thing as The Sex Pistols were a manufactured band to some extent in terms of their image etc, but it doesn't change the quality of the music they produced.
    Last Dinner Party's debut album has now dropped - some decent quality control on the songs, an arty-farty air that is more eccentric than pretentious (think Kate Bush) - I'm quite impressed.
    I still love the solo on "Nothing Matters" as well - really must learn it ... really must pick up a guitar full stop TBH.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    edited February 4
    They’re getting some heavy promotion - I’ve had a push notification and an email from Spotify advising me the new album is out. 

I must fit the listener profile. Sadly it’s not my thing, not even close - although I can see why they will do well. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12158
    I thought some of the vocals were Sparksy
    first song a bit disjointed for me.
    Production/arrangements clearly have been done by extremely experienced pros, like the first Finley Quaye album, for example (i.e. not like wet leg, which didn't have that)

I'm not sure who this is aimed at, but not me.
    I am also suspicious about how they formed a band, given the assumed financial investment that has been made
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    They’ve been all over every algorithm I’m aware of for the last 4-6 weeks. Musically it does absolutely nothing for me, but I care all reading they got signed after a single gig, which is hilarious given how long most bands take to find their feet unless they’ve all individually done loads of other stuff first. 

I don’t get it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 705
    They a have a big year ahead, touring from March to October, including dates in Europe and America. They have merchandise. They have a lot of backing from Island.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    I actually wonder if part of the weird feeling is simply that it’s been such a long time since a major label put real money behind any sort of new rock band in their early career we’ve collectively forgotten what that feels like? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2684
    Spotify attempted to spoon feed me one of their songs too - their promotion budget must've skewed the Spotify listener profiling algorithm. Very much not for me. Mind you I've lost my way with new music over last couple of years. I think I must've reached the heritage act fan age.

• euaneuan Frets: 1714
    I thought some of the vocals were Sparksy
    first song a bit disjointed for me.
    Production/arrangements clearly have been done by extremely experienced pros, like the first Finley Quaye album, for example (i.e. not like wet leg, which didn't have that)

I'm not sure who this is aimed at, but not me.
    I am also suspicious about how they formed a band, given the assumed financial investment that has been made
    Remember the Libertines? Arctic Monkeys?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    The environment in the music industry is such that it's almost impossible for bands now.

There have been articles in the music industry press that when acts like Coldplay, Foo Fighters etc stop touring there is absolutely nothing to fill the void and it's going to be impossible to fill the bill at festivals etc. 

I think that explains the hype attached to this act. 

Plenty of bands have been signed at their first gig (although it's often not a good sign). From the 90's I seem to recall Menswear for example and there have been lots of others.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    Bit too trendy for the likes of me  3
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 458
    Five people, all of whom own and can play an instrument, and/or can sing, decide to make music together. What does it cost to form a band? Some money for a rehearsal space? If they were students, that would be peanuts if not free.

They get lucky and the right person sees them, and thinks "five attractive young women who have some talent - I could make a boatload of cash here," offers them a contract and voila.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think it's fair to assume Bill Gates was involved, and some of that "the Earth is round" lot. ;)

Or alternately, they met at university, were all into music and formed a band, and it turned out they were very good at it.  Abigail is a natural lead singer.

They didn't get a recording deal with Island from their first gig, but they did get a deal with an influential manager from their first gig, seems to be the actual story.

The hype around them always needs to be backed up by the actual songs in the end, and like the aforementioned Monkeys and Libertines, and of course "girls in indie" megastars Wet Leg... they have the songs to get some streams and to fill some venues.  They are playing the same kind of venues as some of the bigger legacy indie acts, like Suede, so its pretty clear they have a big old bar to jump - straight to headlining!

Now they get to do the crushingly intense global world tour, then they get to try and make a decent second album... and if they survive all that and are still selling... they might pay back all the money they owe their label.

I'd probably not want to be in their shoes, but good fucking luck to them, they seem great girls and I wish them very well indeed.

Now, I'm really bugged which song "The Feminine Urge" on their album is ripping-off quite badly - bugging the crap out of me.