Les Paul vs Strat

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591
    I think this is the coolest guitar in music full stop. Forget the type of music and whether you like classic rock. This is an instrument customised by someone who didn't give a f#ck about how it looked, as long as it stayed in tune and sounded good. 

Oh and it's essentially a Strat :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    I've owned 3 Les Pauls over the years, plus some Les Paul copies and a PRS Singlecut - all gone.  I still own 2 Strats.

I love Les Pauls, but there is something about them that doesn't really work for me.  I do like Gibson semis though.  My 335 might be the best guitar I've played.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11146
    tFB Trader

Actual, both the Les Paul and the Strat are to a certain extent, later copies of the real cool granddaddy of solid guitars. built by Paul Bigsby. This predates the Telecaster, Stratocaster and Les Paul ... all of which took style cues from it ... headstock look familiar? 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I'll take these 2 over a LP and a Strat or anything else tbh

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 591

Iron Maiden anyone?

• randellarandella Frets: 4386
    Danny1969 said:
    I think this is the coolest guitar in music full stop. Forget the type of music and whether you like classic rock. This is an instrument customised by someone who didn't give a f#ck about how it looked, as long as it stayed in tune and sounded good. 

Oh and it's essentially a Strat :)
    I visited this exhibition with my dad, fantastic day out that was (I also have pretty much the same photo in my collection).

I'll agree that it's one of the coolest guitars - I certainly spent a *long* time looking at it from every angle I could. If you'd have turned around from that spot, you'd have seen a bunch of other cool guitars, mind. A '60 Les Paul given to Paul Kossoff by Eric Clapton, one of Jimmy Page's bursts was there too - a '59 I think. Clapton's 'Blackie' Strat, Stevie Ray Vaughan's 'No. 1.' Honestly it was like Aladdin's Cave and that was just the Strat/Les Paul content.

One of the best bits was Van Halen-themed again though - they had his stage rig set up, complete with master/slaved Marshalls and the infamous Variac. Utterly fascinating but, at the same time, so completely Heath Robinson that you'd have had to pay me a decent sum of money to plug a guitar into it :lol:
    Back to the OP, go buy a Strat. Job's a carrot :)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    you are all looking at the same instrument .Its just a guitar with some 40's electrics .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    Switch625 said:

Iron Maiden anyone?
    OK, I was wrong. Les Pauls are cooler.

:)

(Actually I don’t really mind Iron Maiden, although I’m not a fan of the music.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7360
    Buy Alvin Lees Gibson ES-335 As Played At Woodstock ART 41 OFF
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Where was the exhibition???
    Offset said:
    randella said:
    Museum of Modern Art, New York City. It was a coincidence, we were there for my dad's birthday and he wanted to see the museum anyway. Imagine a pair of guitar players finding this by accident! One of the museum staff was asking if we'd enjoyed our visit, we got to talking a bit, and he said that if we were interested in guitars we might want to head downstairs. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12524
    randella said:
    Offset said:
    randella said:
    Museum of Modern Art, New York City. It was a coincidence, we were there for my dad's birthday and he wanted to see the museum anyway. Imagine a pair of guitar players finding this by accident! One of the museum staff was asking if we'd enjoyed our visit, we got to talking a bit, and he said that if we were interested in guitars we might want to head downstairs. 
    BUGGER IT!!!  We were in NYC last December and walked past MOMO!  Damn... :-(
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3534
    I'm pretty sure Les Paul wins. It's heavier, and weight categories exist for a reason. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29194
    ICBM said:
    OK, I was wrong. Les Pauls are cooler.
    Each and every picture makes me think the other guitar is the less uncool one. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 455
    Switch625 said:

Iron Maiden anyone?

Not if I can avoid it.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    carlos said:
    I'm pretty sure Les Paul wins. It's heavier, and weight categories exist for a reason. 
    A good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un?
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2476
    Switch625 said:

Iron Maiden anyone?

Good point!

;) 
    Tim
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    No photo of Neil Young in this thread...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10398
    Offset said:
    Why are most of the pictures used for reference of old/dead guitarists?
    Because there aren't many cool ones around these days :-)
    Gary Clarke Jr, Her, Kingfish, Jack White, John Mayer, Tim Henson, Sophie Lloyd, Marcus King... Loads of cool guitarists about!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom